PDA

View Full Version : New CC BEC on 6s Trex 600. Any thoughts?

Pages : [1] 2

RobertAbles
10-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Anyone tried the new Castle 10 amp bec to eliminate the flight pack and regulator?

It is good to 6s and output is programmable up to 9v...

Seems like this would be a pretty good weight loss....

Also, it is only 22 bux!

Flybar-less
10-17-2007, 08:47 PM
It works.

RobertAbles
10-18-2007, 01:03 AM
I think that wiring in 2 deans connectors on each pack would eliminate the possibility of spooling it up on the work bench.

You would plug in the bec and the esc separately...

This would be much safer I think...

Anubis328
10-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Does it get all kinds of hot or something? It says it's expecting 5mph airflow around it.

RobertAbles
10-18-2007, 10:06 AM
RJohn just put one on, so he is our guinea pig...

I would think as long as it is NOT under the canopy the air flow will be o.k. His is mounted on the outside of the frame below the motor area... Should stay cool there..

In all reality we are pulling less than 1 amp from the electronics anyway...

Let us know the outcome form test flying John!

Flybar-less
10-18-2007, 11:04 AM
It gets a little warm with 8717s but seems to work well. Had to look for stuff to remove and relocate forward due to the loss in weight. I agree not having a seperate supply is an inconvenience for setup, but mine is already setup, just charge and fly. Gave me an excuse to install Quick UKs Uberclamp.

Anubis328
10-18-2007, 01:10 PM
I had a question about this also...

Peak: 10 amps
Continuous:
<12 volts input = 7 amps*
<24 volts input = 5 amps**Ratings are determined with a 5mph airflow on the BEC. Servo connectors are not rated for current in excess of 5 amps. Users are encouraged to replace the connectors if more than 5 amp currents are anticipated.

Does this mean on a 6s setup, that you're only getting a 5a bec?

xStatiCa
10-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Yea. 5amp continuous and 10amp max burst for 6s which seems strange to me because I thought switching BECs were not really affected by increases in voltage. Everyone will have different servo draw but my system during flight pulls around 2.42A max and .9A Average during soft 3d maneuvers. I am still using the optional Align 6A regulator. I have yet to install the CC BEC that I bought a few weeks ago.

See my post here:
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=47735

I am using DS8717 servos on cyclic and DS8900G on the tail.

Duke600
10-18-2007, 07:36 PM
I just installed one myself I will see how it performs tomorrow. I used a set of deans so I can unplug it from the ESC so it will not spool up on me when I am working on it.

Pinecone
10-18-2007, 07:37 PM
The way I install extrenal BECs is to wire in a Micro Deans. That way I can disconnect the external BEC and power it off a small lipo pack with not worry about the motor spooling up.

I just tried a CC BEC on my Hurricane 550 and the one I got was DOA. It put out enought power to blink the light on the 401, but the servos didn't budge or make any noise. No Rx signal either.

rick m
10-18-2007, 08:21 PM
i just bought the castle bec last week have flown 5 flights so far no problems setup is align xl motor, 75amp speedy, 6cell 6400 kokam lipo mounted on tray under canopy runs cool. servos are 3050 futaba digitals & 401 combo on tail . bec is programed to 6 volts.
:lol:

Flybar-less
10-18-2007, 10:59 PM
I made three flights today with the CC BEC. The forth time I plugged in to go and the CC BEC went up in smoke and killed two of my 8717s.

Pinecone
10-19-2007, 09:31 AM
I noticed on filling out the return form, that for the CC BEC and Caslte Link you have to call before sending it in. I will be calling today.

xStatiCa
10-19-2007, 10:44 AM
I made three flights today with the CC BEC. The forth time I plugged in to go and the CC BEC went up in smoke and killed two of my 8717s.

Ouch. Those are too nice of servos to be ruined like that. I am curious what voltage level you programmed the CC BEC for and how many cells you are running. Not that I expect that was an issue because rumor has it that the DS8717 servos can handle very high voltages unofficially.

I bought the CC BEC a few weeks ago and I am now considering sticking with my Align 6A regulator(they call it a BEC). I can't afford something like that happening to my 600 right now. My heli balances perfectly as it is now anyway with the rx battery and the airthunder battery. If it ain't broke... don't fix it I guess.

Anyone else have any problems with the CC BEC?

Flybar-less
10-19-2007, 10:58 AM
6 Volts, fortunately my tail has an Emcotec 5.2v regulator on it. The BEC seemed to go into an oscilation causing the servos to rapidly travel. Spektrum reciever seems OK. Perhaps the onrush-current protection is inadequate for 6S.

kgfly
10-19-2007, 11:02 AM
There have been problems reported using the CC BEC with Spektrum Rx if it is plugged into the BAT connector (which is the logical place). Apparently the circuitry on the BEC to support the CasteLink interface pulls the signal pin low and can put the Rx into Bind mode. If you want to use the BAT port perhaps use a short servo extension between the BEC and the Rx with the Signal wire removed.

Flybar-less
10-19-2007, 11:04 AM
No signal wire.

xStatiCa
10-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the information. I have a spektrum and had no idea about this problem. Looks like not a big deal as it is easily worked around. It surely would have frustrated me if I didn't know about it.

RJohn, let us know what CC says about your BEC when they get a chance to look at it.

Big Fil
10-19-2007, 03:56 PM
The way I install extrenal BECs is to wire in a Micro Deans. That way I can disconnect the external BEC and power it off a small lipo pack with not worry about the motor spooling up.

That's exactly how I wire mine which works out well.

On another note i've been running the Medusa BEC on my bird since summer with Spektrum and it has performed well. My dad also put the Western Digital 5A BEC on his which has also performed just as transparent. For the price I see why people have been going with the CC but it doesn't leave you any growing room if you go higher cell count.

xStatiCa
10-19-2007, 06:09 PM
My dad also put the Western Digital 5A BEC on his which has also performed just as transparent. For the price I see why people have been going with the CC but it doesn't leave you any growing room if you go higher cell count.

The reason I went with the CC BEC besides the obvious price is because based on specs the CC BEC can handle more amps and it's programmable voltage all the way up to 9v (I was thinking about going 8v at the time of purchase). Since I bought some pretty beefy servos I wanted something with more amps just as an extra feel good thing. I don't plan on going over 6s anytime in the foreseeable future so that is not an issue for me personally.

Heck... I bought the CC 125 for extra amperage safety factor too which is way overkill even if I upgrade to a neu motor. The cost wasn't that much more to over spec a few electronic parts on my heli and it didn't add much weight so I did it knowing I won't ever have an amp issue with the over speced components(unless I get a dud of course :).

I wonder how closely all the companies rate their devices. Some might overspec and some might underspec and some might be in the middle somewhere. Short of someone testing all the BECs for amp draw until they fail I don't know if I will ever know for sure which BEC (or ESC) can take amps better than another. The CC BEC stating that the rated current is for a 5mph wind over the BEC didn't make me feel to comfortable though because don't know for sure how fast the wind blows down the side of the heli. I wonder what the Western Digital would be rated at with the same wind blowing across it.

kgfly
10-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Short of someone testing all the BECs for amp draw until they fail ...
Ask and ye shall receive ;) Ozace, one of Australia's leading R/C heli experts, has done us all a big favour and published some detailed, and alarming, test results on archeli.com.au/cobra here: Helicopter power sources tests (sort of) (http://www.archeli.com.au/cobra/showthread.php?t=112551)

Ozace is adding new entries to these summaries on the first page of the thread so it is worth bookmarking and checking it from time to time. As of 20 Oct 2007 neither the CC nor the WD BECs had been tested.

Battery Test Summary
To start with i charged some battery packs as i would before a flight (1c on a real charger 902). I decided to take a peak reading with the max draw my setup will pull, leave it for 1 min then read again. Finally, vary the load for the second min then get a peak at the 2 min mark. I decided to only go for 2 mins as this is a hard test on equipment and time consuming

SO

GP 3700 nimh 4 cell pack.
start voltage = 5.6v
5.5amp @ 5.45v peak
5amps @ 5.4v after 1 min
4.79amp @ 5.27v at 2 min

GP 2000 nimh 4 cell pack 5/4 a size
start voltage = 5.6v
4.65 amp @ 5.10v peak
4.40 amps @ 4.85v after 1 min
4.40 amp @ 4.85v at 2 min

GP 2000 nimh 4 cell pack 5/4 a size second run , 20 min gap
start voltage = 5.4v
4.62 amp @ 4.90v peak
4.20 amps @ 4.80v after 1 min
4.20 amp @ 4.80v at 2 min

GP1100 nimh 4/5a cells 4 cell pack
start voltage = 5.6v
4.57amp @ 4.94v peak
4.3amp @ 4.76v after 1 min
4.28amp @ 4.7v after 2 mins

GP1100 nimh 4/5a cells 4 cell pack (second run 30min wait between tests)
start voltage = 5.29v
4.00amp @ 4.5v peak

lasted 40 seconds before dumping. This pack is 12 months old and not abused but not looked after either.

JR 4 cell 1100mah rx pack (charged at 1amp and tested hot off charger)
start voltage = 5.6v
4.69 amp @ 5v peak
4.25 amp @ 4.7v after 1 min
4.17 amp @ 4.65v after 2 mins

JR 4 cell 1100mah rx pack (25 min wait after first test)
start voltage = 5.27v
4.15 amp @ 4.67v peak
4.00 amp @ 4.5v after 1 min
4.00 amp @ 4.5v after 2 mins

Shortly after the 2min mark the pack dumped. This was a new pack in excellent condition

JR 4 cell 1100mah rx pack (30 min wait after second test)
start voltage = 5.20v
4.10 amp @ 4.50v peak
3.80 amp @ 4.4v after 1 min
3.80 amp @ 4.4v after 2 mins

during the 2nd min the pack could be forced to dump by cycling the load.

BEC/Regulator Test Summary
As I understand it the units were powered from either a 2s or 4s lipo (depending on their input voltage rating) and tested on the bench in still air.

Hyperion ticool switching bec rated for 4 amps sustained. unit started at 19 deg C
5v setting gives 5.13v actual

4.2 amps @ 4.64v peak reading and it stayed there
at 1 min reading were the same ,temp at 80 Deg C
at 2 min reading were the same ,temp at 100 Deg C

Hyperion ticool switching bec rated for 4 amps sustained. unit started at 20 deg C
6v setting gives 6.11v actual

5.2 amps @ 5.52v peak reading
this time i ran it at a constant 3amp load (temp concerns)
at 1 min reading were 5.76v @ 3 amps ,temp at 60 Deg C
at 2 min reading were the same ,temp at 112 Deg C and melted the shrink wrap

Align 3 amp Reg starting temp 20deg C
Start voltage 5.78v
peak reading 5.15amps @ 5.45v
Test run at 3 amp draw (units recommended ability)
3 amps @ 5.5v , at 1 min 80 deg C
same at 2 mins 106 deg C

Arizona heli reg starting temp 20 deg C
for this one i just ran the "orange" lead with the voltage set to 5.8v, As the rating is so low on the arizona i ran the first test at a 3 amp draw to get a feel for things ( too expensive to destroy).

peak test was 5.4 amps @ 5.6v
3 amps @ 5.71v for 1 min, temp 30 deg C
3amps @ 5.71v for 2 mins, temp 43 deg C

I chose not to test the gyro portion of the arizona as i figure it is only running the one component (gyro and servo) but it would contribute to heat. I figure that the rating of the unit is about right at the 3 amp mark and it looks like it will cope with peaks up to 5amps. I also decided not to run it at a loer voltage as heat would concern me.

Duralite 6v Reg starting temp 20deg C
Start voltage 5.94v
peak reading 5.50amps @ 5.67v
Test run at at max amp draw
5.5 amps @ 5.67v , at 1 min 30 deg C
same at 2 mins 38 deg C

no name 3-5 amp bec starting temp 20deg C (bought from taiwa)
Start voltage 5v setting 5.22v and 6v setting 5.92v
test run using the 6v setting
peak reading 5 amps @ 5.45v
3 amps @ 5.6v , at 1 min 65 deg C
test stopped at 1:10 sec as temp spiked and shrink wrap melted followed by vltage drop.

Koolflight Ubec 3 amp 5v bec starting temp 20deg C
Start voltage 4.97v
peak reading 4.32 amps @ 4.8v
3 amps @ 4.83 , at 1 min 60 deg C
same at 2 mins 78 deg C

Align 2 in 1 6 amp old style Reg starting temp 20deg C
Start voltage 5.76v
peak reading 5.45amps @ 5.76v
Test run at at peak amp draw
5.4 amps @ 5.75v , at 1 min 76 deg C
test stopped 1:30 heat rise to 100 deg and voltage drop

Dualsky 5v-6v Reg VR8L starting temp 20deg C
Start voltage 6.02v
peak reading 5.50amps @ 5.90v
Test run at at max amp draw
5.5 amps @ 5.89v , at 1 min 30 deg C
same at 2 mins 35 deg C

This is a ripper unit. Priced cheap, comes with a failsafe switch and duel leads.

xStatiCa
10-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the link and info! Now we need someone to do the same for ESCs! That test might be a little more expensive :).

Flybar-less
10-19-2007, 09:26 PM
I reinstalled the 6 amp Align BEC and lipo pack, as well as well 3 new 8717s for my Logo build. Flys great! Range check and 6 flights, no problems. The Spektrum 6200 and Solid-G survived. Sent all 3 cyclic sevos to JR, I have a real 5.2 v regulator (EMCOTEC) on the tail so no worrys there. CC folks were off today, so I'll call monday.

The CC BEC performed well in the first 3 flights, with no noticable heat. The weight reduction was noticable.

The issue arose while plugging into it's 6S source, servos went crazy, smoke came out of one servo, and the BEC actcually burned. All in about 2 seconds. At least it was on the ground.

I have been aware of the Sketrum/CC bind issue. The first time I hooked on up the reciever went into bind mode. called CC and got the scoop several weeks ago. They said the may offer a firmware update in the near future to delay the arming of the signal lead. This was my first trial of the CC BEC in flight, with the signal lead cut of course.

Duke600
10-20-2007, 01:07 AM
I flew my Trex 600 with the CC BEC for the first time today and everything went great. I did have the binding issue problem, but I plugged the BEC into an empty slot on my receiver and it worked great. I am using a 6 cell lipo setup, with the default voltage on the BEC. Not one problem.

Bill Sanford
10-20-2007, 06:12 PM

Sounds familiar!

I had a friend who just installed one in his TRex 600e this past week and it smoked the first time he plugged it in. He's running a 6s Kong Power pack.

I'm typically a big fan of Castle Creations products, but it sounds like they have some bugs to work out on this one...

Bill