PDA

View Full Version : ds285 metal gear prob

13thlevel
10-20-2007, 10:46 AM
I just installed new metal gears in my elevator servo. The plastic ones stripped on a very minor crash (never made it off the ground).
After the crash I realized the servo had stripped, but it still seemed functional.
Now after rebuilding the servo won't move when hooked up to the receiver. There is very slight movement upon plugging in to the rx, but it won't budge when giving input from the tx. Other servos check out ok when plugged in to the same rx input. What's up?

nuker688
10-21-2007, 10:34 AM
check to make sure you centered the output spline and the potentiometer, you could be off to much to one side and binding the servo as it tries to center

mblake01
10-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi There,

I've also striped the gears on three of my ds285 servos again very minor bump but enough to do the damage, I've looked at the inside of the gearbox and noted the way the gears go back on but have noticed that if the last gear isn't set right the servo works erratically. There doesn't seem to be a flat edge on the shaft to make sure its on in the right place and all I can say is trial and error has done it for me. As for the "potentiometer" on these servos I've got no idea how you go about centering them. Maybe someone else can enlighten us.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

13thlevel
10-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Since I don't know what I'm doing, I probably shoudn't have attempted this servo rebuild, so excuse my ignorance.
After finger F#%$$ the servo for a while, I have discovered that on the opposite side from the servo motor pinion there is another device under the shaft that the last gear(large gear) goes on. After moving this "shaft" around I now have motor operation. I'm assuming that is the potentiometer? I don't know how to reassemble this servo, can someone out there with knowledge of digital servo rebuilding clue me into how I go about reassembling this POS!

LOL! I'm losing it because of this heli setup:bawlLOL!:shock: