PDA

View Full Version : Quad bearing upgrade for the DX7 gimbals by G-Force

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

HeliSmith
04-16-2008, 08:14 AM
That spring is easy when compared to changing drum brakes on an old American car! :D

The little arm for the tensioner on the radio side moves so first attach it. Just slide the spring on. Now take a little screw driver and thread it through the loop in the other end of the spring. Pull it up and slide the loop off of the end of the screw driver onto the gimbal tension arm.

mkoutnik
04-16-2008, 08:50 AM
That's an absolutely great idea!! I never thought of putting it on like you would working on drum brakes...:D I'm sure glad my cars now have rear disk brakes. I forgot how hard the darn springs on drum brakes are to get back on, that is, if you remember how you took them off...

xeispen
04-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Just did the mod and wow. I got the bearings from Readyheli.com and put them on this afternoon took about 40 minutes for both gimbals. I was surprised how loose the bushings were fitting compared to the bearings and it eliminated all the slop. Great upgrade.

llcoolg
05-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Helidirect.com has the DX7 Gimbal Bearing Upgrade by MicroHeli for $4.99 a set.

Here's the link:
http://www.helidirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=6607

iflymyhelishigh
10-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Now, does this void my warrenty? I think it wouldn't, but can someone confirm?

HeliSmith
10-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Call Horizon Hobby and ask: 800 338-4639 they are really cool there.

iflymyhelishigh
10-22-2008, 09:13 PM
I guess I'll call tomorrow.

RC-Bearings
10-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Now, does this void my warrenty? I think it wouldn't, but can someone confirm?

I would expect that it would void the warranty since you aren't supposed to be fooling around inside there! They would have no way of knowing if something you did caused the radio to fail. There are quite a few ESD sensitive parts inside the case.

iflymyhelishigh
10-22-2008, 09:22 PM
If I were to have a problem with electrostatic discharge, I could just use my wrist band (grounded) and be solved with that...

RC-Bearings
10-22-2008, 09:38 PM
If I were to have a problem with electrostatic discharge, I could just use my wrist band (grounded) and be solved with that...

True, but could you prove that you were using it when you opened the back of the radio? Therein lies the problem from the point of view of the manufacturer. I am NASA certified in all of the processis involved in manufacturing and repairing space electronics and hardware but that doesn't mean anything to the manufacturer.

iflymyhelishigh
10-23-2008, 05:55 AM
I'll take a video of me doing it or something :P

I really want to do this mod, but I got my radio in august, and don't want to void my warrenty.

RC-Bearings
10-23-2008, 08:05 AM

I really want to do this mod, but I got my radio in august, and don't want to void my warrenty.

Well, then I think you have a choice, void the warranty or don't do the upgrade. I don't have a new radio so I don't know what the warranty requirements are but they usually state something like any modifications will void the warranty.

HeliSmith
10-23-2008, 11:46 AM
I am pretty sure it voids the warranty and frankly mod'ing your only radio is scary if you are as addicted as I am. What pushed me to do the mod was using rudder+collective during precise procedures like hurricanes the stick was a little hard to manage. After doing the mod it is perfect.

What is boils down to us make sure the means doesn't out weigh the gain for you. If you have a necessity to mod it then research it carefully and carefully do it. Otherwise let it float until it is a problem.

G-Force Heli
03-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I have been asked if the mod also works on a DX7 SE.

Yes it does. I am sure people already have done the mod on a SE. Both radios share the the shells and gimbal components. The SE has different firmware and no sim jack

Garf

ZinFab
04-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Hobby Lobby has part number RCRS1133 (http://www.hobby-lobby.com/dragonus-parts2.htm) which is two 4x7x2 bearings for $4.10 (US). They are currently in stock. They do ship to Canada.

Currently it is the 3rd item down on the page the link takes you to.

jrohland

When I found them on the hobby lobby site it said 4x7x2.5 not 4x7x2 mm?

RC-Bearings
04-06-2009, 11:02 AM
When I found them on the hobby lobby site it said 4x7x2.5 not 4x7x2 mm?

I don't know if you would have the room for the MR74ZZ. What I have is the MR74.
http://www.rc-bearings.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=30_45

cbflys
04-07-2009, 08:30 AM
I don't know if you would have the room for the MR74ZZ. What I have is the MR74.
http://www.rc-bearings.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=30_45
There is absolutly no room for anything other than the 4m x 7mm x 2mm bearing.

RC-Bearings
04-07-2009, 08:44 AM
There is absolutly no room for anything other than the 4m x 7mm x 2mm bearing.

That's what I thought. The 4x7x2.5 is an MR74ZZ. The 4x7x2 is an MR74.

Lota Fun R
04-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the tips and how to. :thumbup:

I ordered a set of bearings today. I would like to put ceramics in my 450's but the kits are still out of my price range.

Can't wait to get this mod done.

I've also done the voltage reg mod on my DX7. :cheers

HeliSmith
04-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Is the voltage regulator mod needed for the 9303?

Lota Fun R
04-08-2009, 10:04 PM
I don't know but it seems I've read about it somewhere else? Not sure?

Made a big difference.

amcutem
04-11-2009, 03:36 AM
I ordered these bearings from helidirect:

http://www.helidirect.com/abec3-high-quality-4x7x2mm-dx7-gimbal-bearings-upgrade-kit-p-6607.hdx

At first i thought the price were for each, which i didn't really mind after all because others sites were sold out of the bearings and i was starting to have a hard time trying to find the best deal along w/ shipping included prices. So i finaly decided to just buy it from this site.

It turns out that the price is for the KIT! IT COMES W/ 4 BEARING!!! Wow, i couldn't believe it. Awesome.

4 Dx7 Bearings for 5.00$

Bob O
04-11-2009, 08:29 AM
SNIP

http://www.trextuning.com/blog/?page_id=333

sheerider1026
04-11-2009, 09:49 AM
ok guys, quick question.. i have a dx6i.. does the 6i have the same bushing problem? or is my radio different form the dx7?? and what other upgrade can be done?? it would be VERY nice if i could do something to give the display some backlighting

deswong
04-13-2009, 03:51 AM
I ordered these bearings from helidirect:

http://www.helidirect.com/abec3-high-quality-4x7x2mm-dx7-gimbal-bearings-upgrade-kit-p-6607.hdx

At first i thought the price were for each, which i didn't really mind after all because others sites were sold out of the bearings and i was starting to have a hard time trying to find the best deal along w/ shipping included prices. So i finaly decided to just buy it from this site.

It turns out that the price is for the KIT! IT COMES W/ 4 BEARING!!! Wow, i couldn't believe it. Awesome.

4 Dx7 Bearings for 5.00$

I thought it was a mistake at first - 4 for $5.00 - so I ordered them anyhow and was thinking maybe I did make a mistake in the order and needed to order 3 more... Well, I waited patiently (I'm in Australia) and found 4 of them - so after about 1/2 hour had them installed and a totally different feel to the sticks - and love them! :lolol