PDA

View Full Version : problems with grub screws on 15t pinion

mike15
04-24-2005, 06:29 PM
hi
for some strage reason my pinion gear has moved forward. So i went to loosen the grub screws but they nackerd the allen key just spun round. So can i drill them screws out and then re tap them and put bigger grub screws in.
mike

sdixon747
04-25-2005, 05:18 AM
I believe the grub screw is 1.5mm hex. If your 1.5mm allen key slips, try a standard 1/16 allen key. It is slightly larger (1.5875mm) and sometimes gives that extra grip needed. You can also use a little heat to loosen up the Locktite.

Hope this helps
Steve

DavidH
04-25-2005, 10:41 AM
The suggestion Steve made will work. I suggest use allen drivers with hardened tips and not the cheap L shaped allen wrenches. They are soft and will just mess up the screw inside the socket.

David

Dr.Ben
04-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Another tip:

EVERY time you have to pull 2mm set screws out that have been fully torqued with loctite, throw them in the trash and install fresh ones. You can buy a box of them from MSC or the like making them cost about a few cents each, a lot less than the heartache you're having now. Get some high quality drivers to just as David suggested.

Ben Minor

3DME
04-26-2005, 12:52 AM
Hello

I use the Whia brand tools and they last for many years and are very hard. They are not cheap but you will only buy them once if you can keep from loosing them like I do.

Mike