PDA

View Full Version : Looking at purchasing a blade balancer

Mbuemi
06-10-2005, 02:42 PM
How pertinent is it to purchase one of these? Do i need to balance my blades often?

Do they come balanced?

Which balancers work best with Raptor 50 blades?

How much am i looking at spending?

And Ive seen so many different balancers is there one that is better than others?

thanks in advance[/list]

pilotError
06-10-2005, 03:17 PM
Blade balancers are a must if you balance wood blades. A little less so if your using a high quality Carbon Fiber blade.

Top of the line in balancers is the Koll Rotor Pro for about $100 and will do pretty much everything in terms of finding chordwise and spanwise balance.

I haven't used anything else, so I can't comment on others.

blakka_1
06-10-2005, 03:18 PM
As you might already know it is very important to check the balance of any blades you buy. Unbalanced blades will cause tracking of the blades to be bad and also will cause your heli to vibrate and then cause further problems.

The best balancers out there can measure both span and chord CG (center of gravity) as well as weight. The best blade balancer I have used is the Koll balancer, very easy to use and very accurate. Second best balancer I have used is the K&S balancer. :)

The Koll balancer can be found here at Ricks - http://www.ronlund.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=heli&Product_Code=MA0514&Category_Code=Balancing_Tools

If you want to take a look at the K&S, here it is - http://www.rcpowersupply.com/product.php?productid=864&cat=53&page=2

OzarkCopterBum
06-10-2005, 04:40 PM
I've had good success balancing my woodies using a .10th gram digital scale and a triangular or "scale" ruler. I doubt that its as good as a Koll but close enough that my heli doesnt shimmy. I got this from Rays manual.

Basically just weigh the blades to find the heavy one, use the ruler to find the CG on the heavy one and mark it. Put a blade bolt thru both blades and transfer the mark to the lighter blade, place it on the ruler at that mark then use tracking tape to get it to balance there. Pretty simple and it works OK.

Leehollingworth
06-11-2005, 06:25 AM
i just find the CG of both blades with the edge of a ruler then add equal amounts of tracking tape to each blade at opposite ends

ie if the CG on one blade needs to be moved toward tghe tip then put tracking tape near the tip then the same amount on the base of the other blade so they still weigh the same.

probably not 100% but thats the way i do it with no vibrations sofar and it will at least do until i invest in a balancer.....

my 2 pence...

Tristan Buhler
06-11-2005, 06:47 PM
save your money and not by a balancer and get vblades :D

Mbuemi
06-13-2005, 06:11 PM
save your money and not by a balancer and get vblades :D

and where does one get vblades, and why dont they need balanced?

blakka_1
06-13-2005, 06:35 PM
http://www.vblades.com/

Vblades come already balanced however Vblades are very exspensive high performance blades so if you crash often then I would advise using woodies or a cheaper carbon blade like Sab's which come balanced from the factory also. :)

DavidH
06-14-2005, 12:01 AM
Vic uses the Koll Balancer when he builds his blades. He uses the balancer to check the blades during the building process.
IF you want a balancer that does it all as for balancing blades. Then the Koll Rotor Pro is what you want. I check all the new blades I get on it before they go on the heli.

David

heli
06-23-2005, 12:08 PM
I had the same question and the reply I got from many people in my local area was buy Mavrikk blades. My next question was why? Answer was the are near perfectly balanced right out of the packaging. I now have purchased 2 sets of the blades in the link below for my Raptor .30v2 and both sets were balanced near perfect needed no tape to balance them.

I crashed my first day out with these blades. But the price of a balancer and wood blades plus the time to balance them, my time was worth more. Less time balancing = more practice or flight time. Worth every cent so far.

http://www4.mailordercentral.com/heliproz/prodinfo.asp?number=802108
(This link is for 550 size Blades or a .30 size heli)

VBlades are great from what all my heli friends say, but the cost for a beginner is not worth it in my opinion.