PDA

View Full Version : Sooo many chargers!!!

Pages : [1] 2

cabbie1
02-14-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm trying to pick a 12v field charger for my T-Rex 450 V2 and T-rex 500 but just don't know what I'm looking at, none seam to have the right charging plug for the Align batteries?

Help please.

DominicD
02-14-2008, 12:13 PM
You will almost ALWAYS have to solder on a pair of deans or what ever you are using onto the end of the charger wires. I personally recommend the TP 1010C.

cabbie1
02-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Will the imax B5 charge a 6s pack?

WayneBrown
02-14-2008, 12:30 PM
I prefer the Bantam E-Station brand of chargers. Simple to use, and so far I've had no issues.
they have a couple models that are dual input, or 120V and 12V so use between the shop and field is covered.
www.rcaccessory.com

cabbie1
02-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Ok, I've ordered an imax 6b, hope that's a good choice?

Skiddz
02-15-2008, 01:45 AM
There was a thread about the Imax 6B cooking itself posted about a week ago right here. Didn't pay much attention to it, but might be worth a look to see if there's anything factual in it.

RC Accessory
02-15-2008, 06:32 AM
There was a thread about the Imax 6B cooking itself posted about a week ago right here. Didn't pay much attention to it, but might be worth a look to see if there's anything factual in it.

There is. Lots of posts in RCG and RCU about. I'm sure a google search will bring all the issues up as well. Well documented.

charlieh
02-16-2008, 12:31 AM
The IMAX B6 do stir up some controversial debate, I found the threads on RCG and RCU are very negative about this charger whereas users across the Atlantic posted very positive threads in Heliguy, Rcheliaddict, modelflying and etc.
One thing for sure, there are two very objective review on the IMAX B6, one by modelflying (http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forum/forummessages/mps/UTN/1982/URN/12/dt/4/srchdte/0/cp/1/v/6/sp/) and the other by quantifly (http://blog.quantifly.com/?p=2), you can judge by yourself.

cabbie1
02-16-2008, 03:27 AM
Don't suppose anyone knows where I can get this alloy case do they?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/cabbie1/1407472753_dc3445f42c.jpg

cabbie1
02-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Bit more confusion, I just got my imax 6b charger and it says I have to connect the small white connector (same as with the Algn battery I got) BUT also the red and black wires?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/cabbie1/1408400492_2973049e5b_o.jpg

kgfly
02-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Cabbie you must connect the main charge leads (red and black) to the main power leads on the battery and the balance plug on the battery to the appropriate balance port on the charger. Good luck with the iMax B6, it doesn't have a good reputation for quality, I hope yours works well. Check the pack and per-cell voltages with a decent multimeter after charging to check that the charger is not driving any one cell over 4.2V.

cabbie1
02-16-2008, 08:12 AM
On my Align charger I only connect the balance plug?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/cabbie1/heli/Photo002.jpg

DominicD
02-16-2008, 11:47 AM
I fit a computer power supply, 1010C charger, 210V balancer, 2x Multiplex chargers, 2x FP vbalancers, power cord all inside my 450se kit case (there isnt any room left).

kgfly
02-16-2008, 03:53 PM
On my Align charger I only connect the balance plug?
Low power chargers that charge below 4A can charge through the thin wires of the balance lead. Charges capable of more than 4A use the main power leads to charge and the balance lead just for balancing.

cabbie1
02-16-2008, 06:01 PM
So much to learn :o

istandalone
02-20-2008, 11:22 AM
does anyone know if the imax 6 or 8 cell chargers display mah put back into the packs? i assume they do, but don't want yet another charger that won't display returned cap.

kgfly
02-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Yes, I believe they do. How accurately is another question. There have been some quality problems and questions raised about the accuracy of the iMax chargers, especially the iMaxB6. For top quality and reliability I would recommend the genuine Bantam eStation BC6 or BC8 (or for higher power, the recently announced BC6-10).

In the area of highly featured multichemistry integrated balance chargers IMO the following are the most interesting around:

Bantam BC6 (2s-6s, 50W/5A, ~$170) is top of the heap in its power class, the best by far IMO and well priced. This is the only power level that currently includes an integrated ac/dc power supply, which is hugely convenient. Very successful in the market with a top reputation for quality and support.

MaxproX6 (2s-6s, 100W/5A, ~$140) provides a useful power increment and is fully featured. Temperature probe and PC interface (Monitor/Program) are included in the bundle at a good price. New to the market so no history yet in terms of quality and support. Has user-upgradable software and several upgrades have already been released.

Bantam BC610 (2s-6s, 200W/10A, ~$180) all the features of the BC6 except DC-input only and 200W/10A output. Great 6s charger for those needing high power (eg A123 packs at 4C or large capacity packs like the 6s 5000 for a Trex600).

Bantam BC8 (2s-8s, 150W/7A, ~$270) the BC8 is a premium product with a top reputation for quality and support but pricey by today's standards.

Chargery 1010B (2s-10s, 200W/10A, ~$250) looks interesting with almost all features (no PC interface) but is new to the market and hence an unknown quantity in terms of quality and support.

0610iNET/0610iDUO (2s-6s 250W/10A ~$170, dual 2s-6s 180W/10A each ~$270) are very good bang for buck with a few features missing, but maybe none that matter to you. Recent reports of some bugs but it has user-upgradable software and Hyperion have announced that a new software release is on the way.

Graupner ULTRA DUO PLUS 50 (dual 2s-7s 180W/10A each or 250W/10A on one, ~$530) is a very impressive beast, but expensive. Integrated AC power supply for up to 120W max output power, else run it off DC to get 180W/10A per port or 250W/10A on a single port. Appears to be two independent channels, each with its own display and controls.

enahs
02-20-2008, 09:58 PM
I just ordered myself the Bantam BC6. I've heard great things about it. Looking forward to it!

GootyS
02-20-2008, 11:40 PM
May i ask everyones opinion on the iMax BC6 balance charger? is it any good?

istandalone
02-21-2008, 03:56 PM
There have been some quality problems and questions raised about the accuracy of the iMax chargers, especially the iMaxB6

the imax chargers's prices are attractive, and i have heard that if you get one that has had it's software (or something) updated it'll work great. i guess it's a gamble, whether you'll get one that has been updated or whether you'll get old stock. the imax b8 is around $110 and the bantam bc6 can be had for $160. i doubt i'll ever be charging cells bigger then 6s1p, so i'll likely go the bantam route. one more question, and sorry to hijack the thread but with the bantam bc-6, is it possible to charge 2 3s1p packs as one 6s1p? with the proper adaptor of course? you'd think it'd be as easy as rigging up a lead that will combine the two 3 cell leads to one 6 cell harness. what i really want is a dual output charger, so i can do both at once. i've got the mrc 977 but it's only a 3 cell maximum charger and no balance.

RC Accessory
02-21-2008, 04:09 PM
the imax chargers's prices are attractive, and i have heard that if you get one that has had it's software (or something) updated it'll work great. i guess it's a gamble, whether you'll get one that has been updated or whether you'll get old stock. the imax b8 is around $110 and the bantam bc6 can be had for $160. i doubt i'll ever be charging cells bigger then 6s1p, so i'll likely go the bantam route. one more question, and sorry to hijack the thread but with the bantam bc-6, is it possible to charge 2 3s1p packs as one 6s1p? with the proper adaptor of course? you'd think it'd be as easy as rigging up a lead that will combine the two 3 cell leads to one 6 cell harness. what i really want is a dual output charger, so i can do both at once. i've got the mrc 977 but it's only a 3 cell maximum charger and no balance.

Yes you can charge 2 3S packs or 3 2S packs at the same time with the correct EAc14x multi battery adapter board. www.rcaccessory.com

kgfly
02-21-2008, 04:15 PM
is it possible to charge 2 3s1p packs as one 6s1p? with the proper adaptor of course?
Yes it is. You need a series Y-adapter lead for the main power leads and a 2x3s-to-6s adapter lead for the balance leads. Both of these are readily available. The key though is that this only really makes sense for packs of the same brand, type, age, specifcation and that have been discharged together as either 6s1p or 3s2p. Why ? If the packs differ significantly in their characteristics or state of discharge then the charger will see them as a single 6s pack with significant imbalance. It will then take ages trying to bring all the cells in the high pack down to those in the low pack. You also have to be *very* careful when plugging the packs into the adapter leads to ensure that the "top" pack is connected to the correct lead (most positive 3 cells) on the balance adapter and similarly for the "bottom" pack. If you get this wrong you will put a dead short across the packs and very bad things will happen.

Now I do do this with my packs (discharged as 6s1p on H550) but you must be very clear about what you are doing and take great care each and every time.

istandalone
02-21-2008, 07:04 PM
this is also for an H550, and yup they will be identical packs in every way. then again, i've got enough 1-3 cell lipo chargers to do three packs simultainiously anyhow. i just like the idea of all of my hurri packs being balanced as a 6s1p, as opposed to two 3s1p packs. thanks for the info.

mjr_larkin
02-26-2008, 03:53 AM
I am also new to chargers. I have two 3S batteries that I would like to charge at the same time, seems like a very common task that users want to do but every time someone describes how to charge two packs it just sounds like more hassle than it's worth. Is it really the case that you should buy a separate charger for each battery if you want multiple charges going and is the BC6 still the right price point if all i'm charging is 3S?

thank you

RC Accessory
02-26-2008, 04:01 AM
I am also new to chargers. I have two 3S batteries that I would like to charge at the same time, seems like a very common task that users want to do but every time someone describes how to charge two packs it just sounds like more hassle than it's worth. Is it really the case that you should buy a separate charger for each battery if you want multiple charges going and is the BC6 still the right price point if all i'm charging is 3S?

thank you

One of the unque features of the BC-6 is that is has an AC power supply so you can plug it in at home too. If you do not need or want an AC powered unit, then most other chargers are about $120 or less plus the cost of the power supply.

You can get down to the $80 range such as the e-Station 301DX. Nice little charger. You then need at add an external balancer.