PDA

View Full Version : When Should I upgrade

DumbDawg
03-14-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm a noob to RC and helo's so I'm try'n to ask before I get into to much trouble. I KNOW that 'accidents' are an inevitable part of flying.

I'm going to stay with the wooden main blades as I can see smack'n them a few times and have to replace'm. My first question is this... Should I upgrade the broken bits from plastic or stick to the plastic until I'm not really breaking them anymore. Then go to cnc after??

I am upgrading the motor ans esc right away as it died already almost out of the box. So I have on order 2 different motor... 1 to use and a backup. I have a 3900 and a 4200kv motors and 30A esc(programmable) coming. Someone suggested putting a 15A mini fuse inline power to the esc to spare the esc from ever being cooked... Good idea maybe someone here can say otherwise and why not??

I also am looking at two other upgrades and want to know whether they will work or not. One is a 72mhz, Corona 6ch dual conversion receiver, RD62011.... will this work and is it a simple re&re. Comes with an RX crystal.

The other is an Orange Futaba GY401 gyro or a Black Futaba GY401(settings on top of gyro) Gyro. Will these simple pop onto the bird, plug'm in and go like stank or some mods necessary or straight up not at all???

Thats all I want for christmas.... that and another bird... a gasser... vroom vroom vrrooomm http://image2-0.rcuniverse.com/e1/forum/image/s4.gif

JustPlaneChris
03-15-2008, 10:08 PM
My first question is this... Should I upgrade the broken bits from plastic or stick to the plastic until I'm not really breaking them anymore. Then go to cnc after??That is subject to some debate. Personally, I would stick to plastic at least until you are beyond the "crash every time you fly it" stage. Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to bend/break the CNC bits and it'll certainly sting the wallet more when it happens.Someone suggested putting a 15A mini fuse inline power to the esc to spare the esc from ever being cooked... Good idea maybe someone here can say otherwise and why not?? The fuse between a brushed motor and the ESC is an acceptable bit of insurance on a low-powered FP heli. It is NOT a good idea with brushless for several reasons including the fact that brushless ESCs usually have their own overcurrent protection, so skip the fuse. I also am looking at two other upgrades and want to know whether they will work or not. One is a 72mhz, Corona 6ch dual conversion receiver, RD62011.... will this work and is it a simple re&re. Comes with an RX crystal.

The other is an Orange Futaba GY401 gyro or a Black Futaba GY401(settings on top of gyro) Gyro. Will these simple pop onto the bird, plug'm in and go like stank or some mods necessary or straight up not at all??? Orange Futaba GY401?? As far as I know, there is only one kind of genuine Futaba GY401, and it's black. It is also a damn fine gyro that is easy to set up and will serve you well on just about any heli you will ever own. Oh, and the Corona receiver (or the "house brand" version of it sold by LightFlightRC.com) is a nice receiver. It will work with the stock King transmitter, as well as virtually any other 72mhz transmitter on the market.

DumbDawg
03-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Huge load of thx. This helps immensely. I ordered the Corona receiver. I figured I have a bit of coinage right now and I'd better swap the questionable parts for something better.

Can't afford the top dollar bits but mid-range stuff I can do. I also ordered a cnc swash plate from KA-planes and am going to dump that into it. Seeing as its the lowest and most unlikeliest part to break I figured it a safe bet on replacing.

So I have a new reciever on its way, Corona, outrunner 3900kv motor, 30A programmable ESC, mini antenae, 3A switchmode ubec, and a bunch of bits'n pieces.

Whats else should I be looking at in the way if mid-upgrading some of the parts. I have a couple pairs of main blades, 2 woodies and 1 plastic.

Again.. appreciate ur feedback.:cheers

JustPlaneChris
03-16-2008, 07:20 PM
You've got a good parts list and plan going, methinks. Just fly 'er for a while and see how it goes. You may find you want to do what I did, and that's go mostly CNC in the head, or you may just decide to keep it simple and save the coin for the next bird. ;)

DumbDawg
03-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Well a backup bird sounds good. I've been grounded here this last week and a half now... waiting for my parts to come in so I can at least do a little heli time. Oh well it has forced me to spend more time on the sim so its not all bad... But I'd much rather play with the real deal...

Wonder how I can sneak another bird in without my wife finding out!!!!:thinking

I think we all know what will happen :hammer It may be the risk I'll have to take tho... heh heh heh

atonydins
03-21-2008, 02:30 PM
guys,
just fly and crash, the stock parts are cheap enough, if you upgrade whilst still learning you only bend your wallet.
can now hover both my blade 400 and belp-cp in a really small uk garden without breaking anything, garden included,even went idle up in the space and needed new pants not heli parts, it's a learning curve to be sure.

DumbDawg
03-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Thx guyz... heres what I'm going to do... give up RC helo's cause I got no freak'n parts to fix my bird now after 2 weeks,,,, and I'm taking up quilting.:happyd

Actually.... WHEN my parts come in I'm going to replace the swash with a cnc swash. I'm going to fly with all the plastic bits and break as many as I can initially, to get it out of my system right away!! Once thats done I'm going to keep an eye on what I'm breaking the most and what I'm NOT breaking. The non breaky parts I'll swap out to cnc.

So... question. I was told somewhere that you can't swap out piecemeal plastic and cnc as the parts are not the same and a bit different. Is this be true????

Right now the only crashing my birds doing it when it hits the wall in my livingrm after I toss it. They don't glide very well do they??

JustPlaneChris
03-23-2008, 02:24 AM
Pretty much that's true with the Esky CNC. You can do the swash, and the washout arms. But the hub/flybar seesaw has to be swapped out as a set. Grips can remain plastic with the CNC head if you wish.