PDA

View Full Version : TP-610C Quick Start Guide

Pages : [1] 2 3

marchambault
04-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Attached is a draft quick start guide for the Thunder Power TP-610C. I would appreciate feedback / comments.

It is designed primarily for users that are not familiar with multi-mode chargers.

Thanks.

dhend25
04-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks again Marc!

That was significantly more help than their manual. That made the whole charger and its operation much easier for newbies to understand. Clear and concise!

Thanks Marc

DH

tobeornottobe
04-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi Marchambault,

I have just received a 610c, and have made up a lead banana/deans which is working well. Your quick start guide is great for a newbie like me, thanks a lot! :clappp A couple of questions..

1) I see the maximum charge rate for 3 cells is 8 amps. Are there any disadvantages with using 8 amps, and if so what is the 'best' current to use?

2) If I need to store my LiPo's for a month or so, what is the optimal regime for doing this?

3) I have 3 new 2200maH 3 cell TP extreme V2 packs. What is the best method of conditioning them from new?

Thanks
Tobe

marchambault
04-08-2008, 11:55 AM
1) Are there any disadvantages with using 8 amps, and if so what is the 'best' current to use?

For what type of chemistry? For LiPos, most manufacturers recommend the "1C" rate, ie: 1 x the capacity of the lipo. Charge a 2100mah LiPo @ 2.1 Amps, charge 800 mah LiPo @ 0.8 Amps. Charging at 2C rate reduces life expectancy, although it can be done.

For NiMh/NiCd, refer to the QSGuide or the battery manufacturer's information.

2) If I need to store my LiPo's for a month or so, what is the optimal regime for doing this?

Use the storage mode (Hold down SEL/MODE for 2 seconds, select LIPO, press SEL/MODE once and select "50% Storage".

3) I have 3 new 2200maH 3 cell TP extreme V2 packs. What is the best method of conditioning them from new?

Use it in your heli gently... avoid using it at max continuous C for the first 2-3 flights.

tobeornottobe
04-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks Marc, much appreciated. Good stuff. So if I charge a 2200maH Li Po at 2.2 amps it is optimal, and if I exceed this it will reduce the life. All is clear, thanks

Tobe

BorderColliesRule
05-21-2008, 01:32 AM
Thanks again Marc!

That was significantly more help than their manual. That made the whole charger and its operation much easier for newbies to understand. Clear and concise!

Thanks Marc

DH
+1, Thank you.
Why couldn't TP do that?

ls0a1509
05-24-2008, 10:30 AM
I have a 13.8 v, 7amps DC power - Will 7amps sufficient enough to use with TP-610C charging MaxAmps Lipo 8000HV 2S2P 7.4V Pack? Please help me understand the Power Supply Amperage requirement for changing.

Thank you,

ls0a1509

marchambault
05-24-2008, 06:12 PM
By definition, 1 Watt = 1 Volt x 1 Amp

Thus your power supply (PS) produces a max of: 13.8V x7A = 96.6 A

The TP 610 is an 80 Watt charger. Assuming 90% efficiency, 80 Watts output would require: 80W x 100/90 = 89W

So I'd say you're in good shape with that PS.

80 W / 8.4V = 9.5 Amps .. is the max current the charger will supply when your Lipo is fully charged, so don't be surprised if you see the charging amps rolling back as the pack nears a full charge.

BorderColliesRule
05-25-2008, 02:43 AM
I just bought a Ripmax ps that has 2 outputs and a digital readout on front. I noticed that whatever amps I'm charging at the supply shows. 1 charger and a TP2100 and it shows 2.1amps. 2 chargers and two TP2100s and it will show 4.2amps max, it shows less when the chargers get close to completion. The kid at the hobby shop said the chargers would consume about 1 amp. That dosen't seem to be the case.

BenHeli
05-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Marc,

Thanks for the "lay-man" instruction. I've the TP610C V5.0 charger/balancer combo and I bought a TP6P4E adaptor to charge 2 3s packs. According to the instruction on page 3 of the instruction (TP-210 LiPo Balancer), to charge and to balance 2 3s packs, I need to connect the two batteries using a Y-series connector and to identify one of the two batteries as "group A."

Next, I need to connect the balancer connector of the group A battery to the TP6P4E and then connect the TP64E to the 6-pin slot on the balancer and to connect group B balancer connector to the 2-3s on the TP610C-BL2. Is this correct as the instruction is silent as to group B balancer connector. TIA.

marchambault
05-27-2008, 10:10 PM
That's correct. The important thing here is the keep the polarities in sync on both the charger output and the balancer, otherwise the balancer will fry...

I really hate to write this out here, as

a) I don't think it's a good idea
b) I've never tried it
c) somebody's going to mess this up and destroy a perfectly good charger
d) Manufacturers recommend purchasing 2 packs of equal resistance (how can we measure this??), always discharging them together and always charging them together ... essentially: pull out a roll of tape.

So ..

Read this thread: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=68755

Charger negative output, goes to group A Lipo
Charger positive output, goes to group B Lipo
4 pin header: group A Lipo balancing tap
6 pin header: into adapter, then into group B Lipo balancing tap

http://www.helifreak.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44807&d=1207851698

BenHeli
05-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks. I'll set the charger to 6s with max charge current to 4 Amps and an electric fire extinguisher on hand.

marchambault
05-27-2008, 10:42 PM
A metal bucket filled with dry sand ... a standard ABC fire extinguisher won't do a thing for a Lipo fire. Water would make things worst...

Your best defense is a bucket of sand. Otherwise, if I remember correctly from my last fire safety class, you could also use a class "D" fire extinguisher, for combustible metals. I'm guessing $400 + ... I'll stick with my bucket of sand :D

BenHeli
05-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Am steps away from the beach/sand and may be I should just run an extension cord down to the beach. LOL. Thanks for the help. I've just successfully charged two 3s packs and currently charging the second set of 2 3s packs.

marchambault
05-27-2008, 10:56 PM
LoL

You've heard of "Find Waldo", how about "Find the TP_610"?

BenHeli
05-27-2008, 11:11 PM
LoL

You've heard of "Find Waldo", how about "Find the TP_610"?

I found it. First impression of the TP610 - good charger for the price but in need of an internal fan to cool it down.

Phasor
06-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi all,

I just purchased a TP-610C charger and 12 volt 20 amp power supply today. My question is I am trying to charge a Flightpower EvoLite V2 7.2v 800mAH 2S Lipo battery. Will I need a cable for the output of the charger that goes from banana to JST female to charge this battery? I know that I will use the balance connections to the BL-2 adapter. I have an Eflight charger that came with a heli kit that is a balance charger that charges through the balance connector. I take with the TP charger that I will need a cable from the output of the charger to the battery discharge connector.

Am I correct?

Thanks for any info provided....

Phasor

marchambault
06-10-2008, 03:26 PM
You are correct. The charger will charge through the batteries "discharge" connector, while the balancer balances through the balance taps. If you have 4mm bullet connectors on hand they are a suitable replacement to banana plugs.

Phasor
06-10-2008, 03:49 PM
marchambault......

Thanks for the info! I am a new to this but this place offers a wealth of information. Thanks again:thumbup:

Phasor

Sircrashalott
06-14-2008, 01:31 PM
had a question but started my own thread....

kianhon
06-15-2008, 02:15 AM
I have couple of questions hope you can help me out. Got my TP-610C today but still need input and output wires to try it. Have a 12v DC power supply. So, my questions are:

1) How long will it take to charge my 11.1v 2200mah 20c 3s1p LIPO? I should only use the maximum of 2.2a to charge it, right? What about charging my 2s 7.4v 1000mah 15c LIPO, charge it at 1c, right?

2) What is the difference between 100% and Fast Charge option?

3) "Li/A1 InitCharge Timeout" What it is and how minute I should set it to?

4) "Input Power Option" Should I just leave it at 12v?

5) When come to discharge, how much "a" I should use?

6) What happen if one of my LIPO only left 2.6v+- on each cell? I just plug it in and the charger will take care of it?

7) What should I do if each of my LIPO cell isn't even? some 3.3v, some 3.6v, some 3.5v? Just plug it in and the charger will do the rest?

Sorry, I know I have lots of question. I'm always lost when comes to gadget.

marchambault
06-15-2008, 08:52 AM
1) How long will it take to charge my 11.1v 2200mah 20c 3s1p LIPO? I should only use the maximum of 2.2a to charge it, right?

Right, C = 2.20

What about charging my 2s 7.4v 1000mah 15c LIPO, charge it at 1c, right?

C = 1.00

2) What is the difference between 100% and Fast Charge option?

Fast charge will not balance your pack as much, saves 5 -15 mins depending on the pack.

3) "Li/A1 InitCharge Timeout" What it is and how minute I should set it to?

Keep it to a minimum (5 minutes?). This part of the charge cycle is used to determine the state of the battery.

4) "Input Power Option" Should I just leave it at 12v?

This is mostly used for charging off your car's battery (not recommended) so that you can still start your car at the end of the day and drive home. I set mine at 11 V.

5) When come to discharge, how much "a" I should use?

Lipos should not normally be discharged through the charger ...this feature is most useful for nicad / nimhs. Maybe if you have a charged pack but can't fly for a week... using the max discharge rate should not be an issue for any lipo.

6) What happen if one of my LIPO only left 2.6v+- on each cell? I just plug it in and the charger will take care of it?

It will try, that's where the init charge time comes into play. You may have to retry the charge or increase the init charge time depending on the depth of discharge.

7) What should I do if each of my LIPO cell isn't even? some 3.3v, some 3.6v, some 3.5v? Just plug it in and the charger will do the rest?

Yes, it will balance it at the end of the charge.

kianhon
06-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Thank you very much for replying. It really helps a lot.:noteworthy

kianhon
06-15-2008, 08:35 PM
One more thing, how much should I put for the Lipo/A 123 Dchg Option? This option means the maximum volt to be discharge from the charger?

How much "V" can I drain my Lipo everytime I fly? From what I heard, 3.0v should be the minimum "v" to b left on the Lipo, right? or needs higher?

marchambault
06-15-2008, 11:23 PM
3.0V is the min per cell under load. Under no-load (or light load as in the case of discharging with the TP-610) your packs should be kept above 3.5V. But there really isn't any point of discharging that low. If you have a charged pack you want to store, might as well discharge it to 3.85V / cell.