PDA

View Full Version : i just picked up a quick fly...

Pages : [1] 2

rotorhead58d
04-11-2008, 04:47 PM
i went to see irwin this morning. what a great person. gave me the 50 cent tour. i got the fly pro kit. the guys in the shop were very helpful, and i threw them a bone by purchasing all the electronics also. i'm going to start the build this weekend. i will post pics as each step is finished(i like to take my time, so don't bug me:lol:).

rotorhead58d
04-12-2008, 04:46 PM

here is the lower frame and landing skids.

before you begin, sand the rough edges around the cf frame. mark the mounting holes in the landing gear and drill the holes.(they are 58mm apart). i used the screw caps from QWW to attach the skids, and everywhere it goes through the cf frame. the instructions say to use them on the upper to lower frame mounts, but i chose not to. i also went with the raised tail approach, so assemble the lower half of the lower frame first, with the skids, then attach it to the top portion. i also chose not to use the set screws in the skids. slide the skids through, and you are done.

rotorhead58d
04-12-2008, 05:45 PM

next up is the right frame side. i used screw caps to install it. you have to grind a small flat on them, as they are a little too big to use. the instructions say to use a nord lock washer, but i liked the look of these screw caps. use of a ball allen driver is best. piece of cake.

rotorhead58d
04-12-2008, 05:49 PM
i would also like to add that a cd is included for the instructions. there are even animated assembly steps for some of the components. very helpful:thumbup:

rotorhead58d
04-12-2008, 06:20 PM

electronics

spektrum ar 7000 rx

spektrum ds821 servos x 3

futaba s9254 & gy 401 gyro

quick ray power motor 1076 kv 13 tooth pinion

castle creations phoenix 60 brushless motor control

true rc 4000 mah 22.2 volt 6s lipo

the cyclic servos will be replaced by futaba 9252's eventually. i wanted to use the servos that came with my dx7. if i like them, they might stay. flight times should be awsome with this set up. the price on the batteries was $100.00!

rotorhead58d
04-12-2008, 07:20 PM
when you order your kit, make sure to order a set of screw caps(lots of colors) and the landing gear dameners. talk to irwin about other things that might suit your flying style. he seems very knowledgable, and has been in the buisness for a long time. lot's of trial and error experience imo.

rotorhead58d
04-12-2008, 07:25 PM
i'd also like to say that any suggestions to improve on this build are welcome.:flamedevil

rotorhead58d
04-13-2008, 07:26 PM
45105 45106 45107

45108 45109 45110

i installed my servos next. i did not use the rubber gromments to mount them. i put the left frame half on and got my servos all moving in the same direction. i took the left frame back off and installed the motor, with pinion to it's mount, and screwed it in to the frame. i assembled the main shaft, main gear, with the one way bearing and hub, and the bearing blocks. i also installed the anti rotation bracket. the elevator linkage was next. this was kind of tricky, but it only goes in one way. the bearings for it are inserted from the inside of the frame. the flanged ends face towards the mainshaft. a small amount of filing was required to get them seated. it will be loose until the left frame half is installed. there were no instructions showing how to do this, but enough pictures to figure it out. then install the servos in the left frame half. i also installed the frame supports next. i didn't locktite anything but the elevator linkage brackets. then you can install the boom block halves. do not tighten the bolts for the boom block, or the frame support below the boom. i will locktite everything later.

rotorhead58d
04-19-2008, 09:49 PM
i got the electronics all done. i put the GY401 up front. i would have had to make a shelf to mount it in the back, and the way the tail blocks are split, it seemed it was a better idea to mount up front. the AR7000 was mounted sideways on the shelf behind the gyro, and the sattelite antennae was mounted under the battery tray. the CC60 esc was strapped to the right side on the battery tray.

i also assembled the swash plate, and all the ball links. then, i set my servos up, and got the swash level. i decided to mount the elevator linkage with the outside link facing down. it just worked better for me this way. all the links have a straight shot to the swash, except for the elevator link. there is a reason for that though.

the tail went together fairly well. i had to play around with some clearances, but nothing it would take a PHD to figure out.(nice machine work irwin). this is one nice tail. very smooth.

the bearings had to be pressed into the head. it comes with thrust bearings, and all the spacing was dead on. kind of a pain, but i'll survive. make sure you are careful with assembling these blade grips.

when i get my camera back, i will post more pics. :thumbup:

rotorhead58d
04-20-2008, 07:18 PM
45724 45725 45726

rotorhead58d
04-20-2008, 10:41 PM
wiring job almost complete. i re-routed the bec wire to underneath the frame instead of running it between the rx and gyro. douh! i'm starting to work on the head, also.

45777 45778 45779

rotorhead58d
04-20-2008, 10:51 PM
if you've never dona a build like this on helifreak or whatever, try it. it makes you take a different look at how you set your machine up. that has to be a good thing, right?:thumbup:

rotorhead58d
04-21-2008, 07:50 PM

starting to look like a heli now. canopy went on nice. i had to cut it slightly to bring it back towards the tail. i used quicks canopy mounting thumbscrews. i'm not crazy about this canopy, but it does offer good protection for the inerds. i wonder what else would fit...

rotorhead58d
04-21-2008, 10:18 PM
some pictures of the tail. the belt is not tight yet. size comparison with gaui 200

45890 45891 45892 45893

rotorhead58d
04-25-2008, 10:21 PM
the head

46326 46327

rotorhead58d
04-26-2008, 01:54 AM
next, i'm using the castle link to get the esc set up as per finless videos. i got my fingers crossed. i went over the set up, and from the instructions, it was really close. i went over everything, and made sure all screws were loctited. i only set zero pitch so far. after i get my radio and esc set up, i will set the throttle and pitch curves. i have everything ready to start the field testing on the esc.

rotorhead58d
04-26-2008, 06:01 PM
a note:
if you are using the raised tail set up...
when you are setting up the head and the ccpm, make sure to tilt the heli and rest it on the verticle stabilizer. that will get the frame level. it helped me.:thumbup:

Gr4yb3ard
05-01-2008, 09:43 PM
She's lookin' sharp Rotor.

Amen on the huge next to the GAUI!

I agree with you on the vids. I also caught Finless's discussion of bubble levels. My old line level was way to large for the paddles on the GAUI, but I found some small ones that should work next time.

Any idea of when you'll fly her?

***yb3ard

rotorhead58d
05-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Any idea of when you'll fly her?

***yb3ard

when i can bring my 450 home in one piece more than not. i'm waiting on a friend who has an optical tach to help me set up the CC60. until then, i can't fly it. also, i'm mounting the tail servo on the boom. where the servo is mounted now, i can't get the throw i'd like to have.(full) the servo arm hits the bottom of the tail boom block, so i'm using a servo mount from a trex 600. that is on it's way. i really like the tail on this fly. very smooth. had to finess it a little, but worked out great. i tried to spray bomb the canopy, and it ended up looking like a dog's breakfast. i might have to recruit some help on that. a few more weeks, and i'll be ready to at least hover it.:thumbup:

rotorhead58d
05-08-2008, 06:50 PM
<--------waits for the usual QWW bad comments by helifreak support..

rotorhead58d
05-11-2008, 11:35 AM
well, i almost messed up my esc. i should have been using a bec. as many times as i watched those finless videos on the set up, you'd think i'd remember that. *shakes head*

anyway, i should be getting the bec this week, so more later on the set up of the cc60. thanks to the staff at castle creations for the help.

i did have it spooled up to about 60%. :shock: i think this thing will suit my flying style fine. i don't expect it to be a 3D monster, it's heavy. i would love to find a OH-58D scale body to put on this thing. i've seen videos of len mount and his turbine OH-58D.

i'm going to make a video later on when i get it in the air. don't expect to see 3D. sorry, but my flying skills are not up to the challenge yet.

rotorhead58d
05-12-2008, 05:19 PM

well boys and girls, here it is. ready for the maiden flight. the cc60 set up went good. man, i'm glad those finless videos are there. i'm going to hover around, and break in my batteries, then we'll see how she flies. i did choose to mount the tail servo to the boom. i used trex 600 mounts from rc hover. i still have to put on the horizontal stabilizer, and a few other final touch up's. it took me a while to build this guy. i ran into a few minor set backs, but it turned out pretty good. the canopy needs work. i,m going to see irwin this weekend to see if he has some better options for a conopy. any other fly pilots out there? :smokin:

Skeysl
05-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi,
nice build. I'm not Fly pilot but I'm flying EP10 v1 for more than a year and half now. It seems that head is still the same on the Fly. I had some difficulties to setup it right to get +/- 10 degrees of pitch with decent cyclic and no binding.

My solution was to flip the pitch compensator upside down, flip flybar cage and use a few washers. After that my linkages are straight and binding is gone. There's a picture:
http://tomas.skacel.googlepages.com/Quick_3698.JPG/Quick_3698-full.JPG

There's my canopy:
http://tomas.skacel.googlepages.com/Quick_3693.JPG/Quick_3693-full.JPG
It's from Eco 8 but it's not original one. Unfortunately, I don't know if it fits your Fly.

Also, Thunder Tiger ball links are much better that stock ones IMHO.

I hope it helps. :) Enjoy your Fly!

rotorhead58d
05-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Hi,
nice build. I'm not Fly pilot but I'm flying EP10 v1 for more than a year and half now. It seems that head is still the same on the Fly. I had some difficulties to setup it right to get +/- 10 degrees of pitch with decent cyclic and no binding.

My solution was to flip the pitch compensator upside down, flip flybar cage and use a few washers. After that my linkages are straight and binding is gone. There's a picture:
http://tomas.skacel.googlepages.com/Quick_3698.JPG/Quick_3698-full.JPG

There's my canopy:
http://tomas.skacel.googlepages.com/Quick_3693.JPG/Quick_3693-full.JPG
It's from Eco 8 but it's not original one. Unfortunately, I don't know if it fits your Fly.

Also, Thunder Tiger ball links are much better that stock ones IMHO.

I hope it helps. :) Enjoy your Fly!

i'll take a look at the head mod. thanks for the info.:thumbup:

rotorhead58d
05-15-2008, 10:37 AM
yesterday, i had my friend come over to shoot the headspeed for the set up of the phoenix 60. i was in normal mode, with a 0 flat throttle curve. we were using a sky tach optical tach. i began to raise point 2 in the throttle curve. everything was looking good. i wanted to try and achieve 1800 head speed for normal, and around 2000 for idle up. i got to 1800 at about 62%. when i went to 75%, it read 2020. i was just about to hit hold, (because obviously, there were gearing issues) and BOOM! the tail box rotated on the boom, and the tail blades hit the verticle fin. it also stripped the main gear, bent the tail rotor drive shaft, ripped the screws that hold the side plates onto the tail box, split the blade grip where the ball link attaches, one tail blade gone(can't find it anywhere) and trashed both bearings. not a good day for me.

at this point, i'm going to have to shelve this heli. i'm sure irwin would gladly replace the parts for free(he's that kind of a guy), but something tells me to just stop, take the loss, and get a raptor E550. all the electronics should work for the transfer.

i was very careful with this build. this is a big heli to me, and i wanted to make sure it was safe. maybe this build was beyond my skill level? the raptor seems like it really goes together easily, so i'm going to try it out soon. down the road, i will see where my interests take me as far as the fly is concerned.

i am in no way saying that this heli isn't a nice kit. most of the build was smooth. the frames seemed really solid. the bearings are not the greatest. i switched to boca bearings in the blade grips. some of the bearings were kind of notchy. the motor seemed fine, but i never flew it, so...

i would have to say, that i would NOT recommend this heli for a beginner, or even an intermediate pilot. i've built motorcycles, hot rods, i can fix almost anything. i can fly a real helicopter, but there are some things that OJT is a must, and rc heli's are in that catagory.

thanks for following along

Kevin

i'd like to add that i was at zero pitch while performing the headspeed tests