PDA

View Full Version : Hover Problems w/ Superskids

Pages : [1] 2

tnarchitect
04-16-2008, 08:02 AM
OK- its been a week now with no hovering above an inch off of the ground. I replaced the stock gear with Superskids, charged battery, install, fire up, and nothing- it just skoots around. I then investigate further and remove boom supports and horizontal fin thinking weight is an issue. Charge battery, install, fire up and nothing- just skoots around. I investigate further- find that main gear is rubbing on the rear skid support. Turn that around, reinstall. Charge battery, install, fire up, and nothing- just skooting around. Before I installed the Superskids, I could hover at 3-4' off of the ground, no problem, the main gear was just really squishy. Last night it took almost all right tail rotor stick to keep the heli pointed straight. I haven't changed anything. Is there something I am missing? I have a slo-max 300 and pinion on order. I'm kind of frustrated right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

EPBDDSB
04-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Take a look at the thread on this site for HBFP initial gyro/proportional settings-maybe that will help.:lol:

wibble
04-16-2008, 01:33 PM
OK- its been a week now with no hovering above an inch off of the ground. I replaced the stock gear with Superskids, charged battery, install, fire up, and nothing- it just skoots around. I then investigate further and remove boom supports and horizontal fin thinking weight is an issue. Charge battery, install, fire up and nothing- just skoots around. I investigate further- find that main gear is rubbing on the rear skid support. Turn that around, reinstall. Charge battery, install, fire up, and nothing- just skooting around. Before I installed the Superskids, I could hover at 3-4' off of the ground, no problem, the main gear was just really squishy. Last night it took almost all right tail rotor stick to keep the heli pointed straight. I haven't changed anything. Is there something I am missing? I have a slo-max 300 and pinion on order. I'm kind of frustrated right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

Brian, your problem has nothing to do with the SuperSkids unless you already have a bunch of extras on board the heli. I have no boom supports or horizontal stabiliser on my HBFP, where did yours come from and what else have you modified?

ptc
04-16-2008, 02:24 PM
I had to add some postive pitch the flybar paddles to get off the ground using the stock Ni-mi batteries that came with my HBFP. Otherwise it would just skim around on the ground and never really lift off.

Mike SVOR
04-16-2008, 04:40 PM
My HBFP doesn't require any positive pitch in the paddles to fly.
In fact, my HPFP ripped up the sky with the stock battery.

If your HB can't get off the ground, I'd question if something is seriously wrong with the motor or speed control.

Is there any way to get a quick movie of it? I'd be able to tell if it's getting head speed rpm by the sound.
Or, check out mine here flying. Does the head speed sound the same?
http://s95974389.onlinehome.us/RC%20Stuff/RC%20Helicopter/Helicopter%20movies/honeybee1.WMV

EPBDDSB
04-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Another thing you might check is whether you have any interference from wiring, etc from when you mounted the new superskids. I put mine on and most everything there is in pretty close to the main drive gear. Usually things are simpler than they first appear. My Honey Bee MKIII FP is hovering great with the upgraded gear. Good luck!:fly

tnarchitect
04-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Guys-
My HBFP is bone stock w/ the exception of the superskids. It is also brand new and flew great until I put the skids on. With the stock lipo or a 1300mah lipo it won't get off of the ground. It sounds just like it did before I upgraded. I'lle investigate tonight and if I can't make anything happen, I'lle post some vids or pics.

Thanks,

Brian

ptc
04-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Check to make sure that you don't have any negative pitch in the flybar paddles.

tnarchitect
04-17-2008, 11:48 AM
I seem to have to adjust the pitch nearly all the time. I am using a cf flybar the same length as the original. I attempted to put locktite on the nut on the screw, but it doesn't seem to help. Any additional advice?

THanks,
Brian

tnarchitect
04-18-2008, 10:53 AM
OK- Flew last night. Adjusted the paddles to a touch of positive and it would get off of the ground and hover around.

I have another question. It seems that with the stock motor it will not hover very long. At full throttle and full up trim it would barely get off of the ground after probably 5 minutes. I bet I only got 7-9 minutes tops of flying off of the stock Lipo. Is this normal?

Mike SVOR
04-18-2008, 11:41 AM
it's obvious the super skids are lead weights holding you down.
Extra weight takes full power.
Full power kills battery faster.

Just make some skids yourself outa .080 carbon rod.

EPBDDSB
04-18-2008, 12:05 PM
I can get about 10 minutes out of a battery. If you are hopping around, using full power in bursts it may use up battery faster. Superskids aren't really that heavy IMHO. Glad to hear you got 'er hovering.:)

tnarchitect
04-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Update-
Friday night I removed the superskids and re-installed the original landing gear. Saturday it hovered great. Eye level etc. I didn't get a chance to run through a whole battery pack as the wind was kind of high. That was with the stock lipo. Later that evening I tried the 1300 mah lipo pack and was barely able to get it off of the ground. My question is- is my exisitng motor just burned up? I probably have 25-30 packs through it. It just seems tired.

kodak_jack
04-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Update-
Friday night I removed the superskids and re-installed the original landing gear. Saturday it hovered great. Eye level etc. I didn't get a chance to run through a whole battery pack as the wind was kind of high. That was with the stock lipo. Later that evening I tried the 1300 mah lipo pack and was barely able to get it off of the ground. My question is- is my exisitng motor just burned up? I probably have 25-30 packs through it. It just seems tired.
STOCK LIPO? Do you mean stock Esky from another heli? In any case, my heli wouldn't do squat with my stock NiMH batteries, so, I assumed they were the cause. A friend is loaning me a Lipo until mine arrive and it is back to what it used to be. I suppose it is the normal progression for the batteries to go South with either/ both motors soon to follow. If you've already bypassed the NiMH battery part, it could be the motor.

Mike SVOR
04-23-2008, 10:44 AM
my original Nimh batterys ROCKED.
They had way more initial power than the lipos I just bought.

Charge the nimhs till they get warm and go for it.

kodak_jack
04-23-2008, 08:03 PM
I was always told to do 2 hours of charge on the NiMH. Later, I was told that was too much. I eventually got to the point where I just couldn't do much of anything except RADD's. It just wouldn't pick its butt up off the floor.

nuttcaze
04-24-2008, 05:15 AM
My NiMH's wer great too, but charging for more then 2hrs isn't recommended, theres an actual way to calcuate it, and when done the max charge time is 2hrs 10 mins, I actually lost a NiMH due to overcharging

Mike SVOR
04-24-2008, 09:28 AM
every nimh is different. Using the cheap charger that comes with the HBFP, I have always charged the batterys based on heat.
When the pack starts getting warm, monitor it closely cause it gets hot quickly after that.
I used to let mine charge for a couple minutes after warm and before hot.
One of my nimh batterys takes 3 hours to get to this point. If you don't charge it till warm, it lasts about 5 minutes and is way under powered.
The other nimh batterys take around 2 hours.

I haven't had any problems out of these batterys yet. (knock on wood) :)

kodak_jack
04-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Well then, I guess you need a thermocouple or two to charge the batteries!

Mike SVOR
04-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Well then, I guess you need a thermocouple or two to charge the batteries!

Why? Can't you sense temperature?

~130-140 degrees for full charge.

GTX_SlotCar
04-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Any FP heli should fly fine with SuperSkids, and most do, even with the original NiMH stock battery.
A couple nights ago, I read a post on another forum that advised a new pilot that if he installed SuperSkids on his FP heli, he would be extemely lucky if it flew at all. Of course, the poster didn't actually have SuperSkids, but he was sure this would be the case.
Well, since we did extensive testing with SuperSkids and stock batteries, I just had to give it another try. I hadn't run NiMH batteries in a long time, but I had one in the box of my last new HBFP (a couple months old), so I dug it out an put it in an FP heli I was setting up on my desk. I didn't charge the battery, I just put it in. Since the heli wasn't comletely set up or balanced, it took me a few seconds to get it under control (as you'll see in the video), but it flew just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh_mTctih4U&feature=user

The battery had about 8.9v in it. I don't remember what they have when fully charged, but it must be around 10v.
Below is a video of a HBFP flying in the office with a 1300mAh LiPo and SuperSkids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpnj2UQU4Kg&feature=user

There are lots of other videos, including the ones in our review here (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614814).
If a heli won't fly at least this well with SuperSkids installed, there's something a little bit off with the gear mesh, motors, blade pitch, or general setup. Taking SuperSkids off may get it in the air again, but there will still be something wrong with the heli. Ignoring a problem isn't the same as fixing it.
A HBFP with SuperSkids and our 1300 LiPo weighs the same as a stock HBFP with the NiMH battery. A HBFP with SuperSkids3D and our 850 LiPo weighs in at 265 grams. That's a whopping 36 grams less than the stock HBFP.
I'm mentioning this because I believe that most of us want our helis performing as well as they can. If a heli won't fly with SuperSkids but will fly without them, it still won't be flying as well as it can.

Gary

USNAviationjay
05-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Any FP heli should fly fine with SuperSkids, and most do, even with the original NiMH stock battery.
A couple nights ago, I read a post on another forum that advised a new pilot that if he installed SuperSkids on his FP heli, he would be extemely lucky if it flew at all. Of course, the poster didn't actually have SuperSkids, but he was sure this would be the case.
Well, since we did extensive testing with SuperSkids and stock batteries, I just had to give it another try. I hadn't run NiMH batteries in a long time, but I had one in the box of my last new HBFP (a couple months old), so I dug it out an put it in an FP heli I was setting up on my desk. I didn't charge the battery, I just put it in. Since the heli wasn't comletely set up or balanced, it took me a few seconds to get it under control (as you'll see in the video), but it flew just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh_mTctih4U&feature=user

The battery had about 8.9v in it. I don't remember what they have when fully charged, but it must be around 10v.
Below is a video of a HBFP flying in the office with a 1300mAh LiPo and SuperSkids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpnj2UQU4Kg&feature=user

There are lots of other videos, including the ones in our review here (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614814).
If a heli won't fly at least this well with SuperSkids installed, there's something a little bit off with the gear mesh, motors, blade pitch, or general setup. Taking SuperSkids off may get it in the air again, but there will still be something wrong with the heli. Ignoring a problem isn't the same as fixing it.
A HBFP with SuperSkids and our 1300 LiPo weighs the same as a stock HBFP with the NiMH battery. A HBFP with SuperSkids3D and our 850 LiPo weighs in at 265 grams. That's a whopping 36 grams less than the stock HBFP.
I'm mentioning this because I believe that most of us want our helis performing as well as they can. If a heli won't fly with SuperSkids but will fly without them, it still won't be flying as well as it can.

Gary

Hey Gary.. tell the guys we need a modified version of the superskids for the Freestyle belted tail HBFP..
there are literally NO good skids for this setup on the market at all.
I'm tired of buying the crap gear from Walkera (they are the toughest option at the moment)

shepster
05-10-2008, 04:25 AM
the problem with superskids is the wieght. they are too heavy for the HBFP. This alters the CofG badly. You will need get the battery as far forward as pssible.Changing pitch of flybar paddles to get more lift is not recommended. This makes the FP harder to control during training. Keep them level, and let the blades do the work.
I got mine off the ground but full throttle was required, and the battery didnt last very long.
I upgraded to a slomax motor and dd tail rotor, with kyosho M24 blades.
I have recently bought a HB king2, nad transferred the king skids to my FP.
Its almost a striaght fit, and lighter as well. It now flies really well.

kodak_jack
05-11-2008, 12:58 PM
the problem with superskids is the wieght. they are too heavy for the HBFP. This alters the CofG badly. You will need get the battery as far forward as pssible.Changing pitch of flybar paddles to get more lift is not recommended. This makes the FP harder to control during training. Keep them level, and let the blades do the work.
I got mine off the ground but full throttle was required, and the battery didnt last very long.
I upgraded to a slomax motor and dd tail rotor, with kyosho M24 blades.
I have recently bought a HB king2, nad transferred the king skids to my FP.
Its almost a striaght fit, and lighter as well. It now flies really well.
What is your skill level? I'm still learning to fly mine and wonder if there is a blade that is better to learn with? Some like the GWS gray blades and others like the M-24's. I'll get to the Slo-Max soon, but am running Mystery Lipo's and a stock main motor with the DD mod. I've always had Super Skids on mine. I read beginners should use 20 Degrees of pitch on the paddles when learning to hover.

tnarchitect
05-12-2008, 08:37 AM
I will give an update on my progress.... I removed the Super Skids and re-installed the stock gear. I also installed a SloMax and 11t pinion. I did the water break-in on the motor prior to installing. NOTE- if you choose the SloMax motor remember to sand the shaft w/ sandpaper so that the pinion will be removeable otherwise you will have to drive it on w/ a mallet!

The heli hovers great after this. I have not re-installed the skids, but I plan to. It will hover at near eye level at a tad less than half throttle. I can't say that the problem was the weight of the skids, I think it was a bad motor. I crashed yesterday and broke the head (first crash w/ irrepairable damage) so I will probably re-install the skids as an experiment. I am currently working on side-in hover and the heli got away from me.........

Brian