PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a T-rex 450?

Pages : 1 [2]

ChasHeliCop
05-01-2008, 04:27 PM
:thumbup: Peter, I was going to say absolutely get a 450. A lot of people sold their 450's when they got a 500 and were sorry. You can go out and fire up the 450 and if you can do it on a 450 you can do it on a 500. I do agree with the V2, more durable in a crash. Either way, you will not regret it. Have fun !

mr2rbo
05-01-2008, 05:00 PM
You never mentioned if you have a simulator. If you did, then I apologise. If you don't have one, then you should get one. Seems that you are still struggling with basic flight and a simulator is such a valuable tool at that stage of learning. I did all my learning on a simulator and became comfortable with whatever maneuver I wanted to do before trying on the real heli. I know that a simulator will never replace real flying, but it teaches muscle memory and coordination so that flying the real thing will become second nature and you can then progress quickly. Nothing feels better than seeing the real heli perform the trick that you were doing on the sim. :smokin: I know some flyers who have been flying for years but don't have a simulator and they are being outflown by guys who practice on a sim. If you already have a sim, then you should be learning maneuvers on that before trying the real thing. Just a thought though.

ckoelliker
05-01-2008, 08:34 PM
My point is that the metal parts rarely break in a crash, and isn't that what you intend to do?

oldschool269
05-01-2008, 08:46 PM
yeah matey , you will pull the 450 SA plastic head apart in flight trust me .., if you are going to get a 450 make it a V2 .

sweet machine , i regret selling mine and sticking only with with the 2 600 e's i have ...
now i am on the hunt for a new 450 and a fangled 500 as well..

keep a hard deck on you flights and dont fly under it .. if you do straiten up and climb back up over it , then try the trick again ,, the hard deck needs to equal the recovery area you require . the more i flew the lower it got .

now im at three feet . but you cant mess up .. LOL's

Have fun enjoy the 500 you have , but remember to keep a "hard deck" and stay above it !
i miss my 450 v2
Jason

lodi
05-01-2008, 09:15 PM
I didn't read every post so excuse me if this has been covered. If a 450 costs $500-$700 US (average price range for a good V2 used with electronics), that plus the crash cost equals a half dozen crashes on the 500, which may not even happen since its a more stable craft. I think you would be better off to spend the $$ on a war chest of parts for the 500 and get better on one bird.

However, if you just want another bird you should go for it. Keep your eyes open you will find a good deal when you are not looking.

Above all, have fun!

Dave

schwaggs
05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
You never mentioned if you have a simulator. If you don't have one, then you should get one.

Great point, a SIM should be everyone's first heli...

rdlohr
05-01-2008, 10:05 PM
No, I do not want my T-rex 450 to "look good".
It is going to be a "cheap beater", that I am not that "in love with" :smokin:

My third heli is on its way
A "cheap" 450S with nothing that "blings" whatsoever! :thumbup:

Peter

OK, now that you want a 450. My next advice, spend once on all good stuff, servos, gyro, and even metal head. Get an SE V1 or V2 and long term you will save money and NEVER be unhappy that you spent the couple extra hundred up front. The last thing I want to read is you unhappy with you 450. And, you will fall in love with it. Everyone does.

Rick

aaron07
05-01-2008, 11:01 PM
psindrup!! Just buy another 500. Don't forget the 500 is easier to fly than the 450, especially when there is a breeze, easier to work on and maintain. IMO you should be upgrading to larger helis. I bet you don't have many lipo packs with only 65 flights. Again, IMO you should spend the $700-$1100 bucks on lipos and / or spare trex 500 and learn well on one heli, then buy something else. If you 'love' the 500, go for it!

rdlohr
05-01-2008, 11:14 PM
OK, now that you want a 450. My next advice, spend once on all good stuff, servos, gyro, and even metal head. Get an SE V1 or V2 and long term you will save money and NEVER be unhappy that you spent the couple extra hundred up front. The last thing I want to read is you unhappy with you 450. And, you will fall in love with it. Everyone does.

Rick
If you end up with a V1, see me for a gyro mount. I'll take care of ya on the house!
Rick

cudaboy_71
05-01-2008, 11:27 PM
fly it like you hate it.

actually, i think you're going about it backward. if you're babying your 500, you need a larger one to baby. if you get a 450, your 500 will still be your "nice heli". get a 600E or 600N, then the 500 will pale in comparison and you can start wringing it out.

when i had only a 450 i was the same way. then, i got the 600E and the 450 instantly became the beater.

psindrup
05-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Thanks again to everybody for assisting me with my "head ace" :thumbup:

:thumbup: Peter, I was going to say absolutely get a 450. A lot of people sold their 450's when they got a 500 and were sorry.

I will - desition made, and heli ordered. ($200,- LHS)

You never mentioned if you have a simulator.

I do have a simulator and I do practice almost every day.

I can fly figure of eights "both ways", I can loop, and I can almost fly inverted, but I don't even have the guts to do a simple piro with my T-rex 500. :confused:

My point is that the metal parts rarely break in a crash, and isn't that what you intend to do?

I am trying to keep the "affection effect" as low as possible - hence the 450S version.

keep a hard deck on you flights and dont fly under it .. if you do straiten up and climb back up over it , then try the trick again ,, the hard deck needs to equal the recovery area you require . the more i flew the lower it got .

Have fun enjoy the 500 you have , but remember to keep a "hard deck" and stay above it !

Could you please tell me a little more about the "hard deck"

How "do you do"? What "rules" do you put up for yourself?

I bet you don't have many lipo packs with only 65 flights.

I have four 6s 3300 mAh packs that gives me 10 min of flying, and I have 3 "sets" of 2x2100mAh 3s that gives me 5 min. of flying, so I am not in desperate need for more packs. (But I have been in desperate need for better weather) ;)

fly it like you hate it.

actually, i think you're going about it backward. if you're babying your 500, you need a larger one to baby. if you get a 450, your 500 will still be your "nice heli". get a 600E or 600N, then the 500 will pale in comparison and you can start wringing it out.

"Fly it like you hate it" - I like that one! :thumbup:

I get your point about going backwards, but I fly much more "free" with my Gaui 200, and I hope that the same will be the case when I get a T-450.

Thanks again for all your wisdom and support. :hug:

Peter

ckoelliker
05-02-2008, 02:50 PM
I am trying to keep the "affection effect" as low as possible - hence the 450S version

Yes that is fine, but when you crash the plastic parts will break. Then you will have to buy more plastic parts. With one of the se versions, you will rarely if ever break one of the metal parts. So when you crash you may only have to switch out a few things, main shaft, gear, spindle, etc. That is the point that I am trying to make. Anyway it looks like you have already bought the S version, so I will stand by my prediction. You will upgrade to the metal parts in six months or less. We will see.

With the 500, have you had any "close calls"? I think you just need to push it a little bit harder. Once you get the 450 up and going you will have something else to fly, maybe that will help.

psindrup
05-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Yes that is fine, but when you crash the plastic parts will break. Then you will have to buy more plastic parts. With one of the se versions, you will rarely if ever break one of the metal parts. So when you crash you may only have to switch out a few things, main shaft, gear, spindle, etc. That is the point that I am trying to make. Anyway it looks like you have already bought the S version, so I will stand by my prediction. You will upgrade to the metal parts in six months or less. We will see.

With the 500, have you had any "close calls"? I think you just need to push it a little bit harder. Once you get the 450 up and going you will have something else to fly, maybe that will help.

When I crash, I will promise to upgrade to more durable parts. :thumbup:

No, I have not had any close calls yet. Only missed a couple of hart beats. :YeaBaby:

Peter

leapnlarry
05-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Hey pinsdrup,

i feel your pain. i have been flying my little blade cp for months and can fly it great. Crashed at least 100 times, very cheap to fix. Most of the crashes are because i fly when it is windy and it gets blown out of the sky because of lack of power and crappy tail.

my point is i never worried about doing new move because not afraid of crashing.

I built my 500 this week and on the 4th flight crashed in my back yard, (too small of an area for the 500.)

Now i am really nervous flying my 500, crash cost me about $120. It is like i am just a beginner again.

I read all of the posts in this thread, i just have to mentally prepare myself to relax, and if i crash, it is just part of this hobby.

The 500 flys so nice, steady in gusty winds, power, steady tail.

i have already started stocking up on parts for the inevitable next crash.

the thing that bothers me the most is having a heli that cant fly because i dont have the parts and my lhs is out of the parts i need, then i have to order online and wait for several days.

i am thinking of buying a spare 500 kit just for the parts, that way i will have at least one of everything. I always did this when i raced 1/8 scale offroad cars.

after i use a part from the kit i replace it when i can.

rdlohr
05-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Hey pinsdrup,

i feel your pain. i have been flying my little blade cp for months and can fly it great. Crashed at least 100 times, very cheap to fix. Most of the crashes are because i fly when it is windy and it gets blown out of the sky because of lack of power and crappy tail.

my point is i never worried about doing new move because not afraid of crashing.

I built my 500 this week and on the 4th flight crashed in my back yard, (too small of an area for the 500.)

Now i am really nervous flying my 500, crash cost me about $120. It is like i am just a beginner again.

I read all of the posts in this thread, i just have to mentally prepare myself to relax, and if i crash, it is just part of this hobby.

The 500 flys so nice, steady in gusty winds, power, steady tail.

i have already started stocking up on parts for the inevitable next crash.

the thing that bothers me the most is having a heli that cant fly because i dont have the parts and my lhs is out of the parts i need, then i have to order online and wait for several days.

i am thinking of buying a spare 500 kit just for the parts, that way i will have at least one of everything. I always did this when i raced 1/8 scale offroad cars.

after i use a part from the kit i replace it when i can.
Yep, thats why I was pushing 450. Its a great heli and cheap to crash, especially with the $12 wood blades.

Rick

oldschool269
05-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Could you please tell me a little more about the "hard deck"

How "do you do"? What "rules" do you put up for yourself?

Peter

LOL's
rent a copy of "Top Gun",

hard deck , Ahhh . an imaginary level flight line parralell to the ground , but above it , across the flying field that you pretend is dirt .
fly under it and you would have hit the ground ..
Jason

psindrup
05-04-2008, 01:55 AM
LOL's
rent a copy of "Top Gun",

hard deck , Ahhh . an imaginary level flight line parralell to the ground , but above it , across the flying field that you pretend is dirt .
fly under it and you would have hit the ground ..
Jason

Thanks! :YeaBaby:

How high do you guys set that "hard deck?"

Peter

rdlohr
05-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Thanks! :YeaBaby:

How high do you guys set that "hard deck?"

Peter
ABout 1 inch

ckoelliker
05-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Is it flying yet?

psindrup
05-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Is it flying yet?

Nope. Just ordered.

And I am studying right now.
And I have "promised" myself (to put pressure on myself) that I will not be allowed to build it, until I have passed my exam. :thumbup:

I will be back

Peter

rdlohr
05-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Nope. Just ordered.

And I am studying right now.
And I have "promised" myself (to put pressure on myself) that I will not be allowed to build it, until I have passed my exam. :thumbup:

I will be back

Peter

Good luck Peter!

Rick

oldschool269
05-08-2008, 01:58 PM
ABout 1 inch

Classic !!! LOL's

100 feet would do well for a NEW pilot
Jason

JaggedEdge
05-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Wouldn't an outfitted 450 be the cost of quite a few 500 crashes?
I'd bet after you get a crash or 2 under your belt with the 500 you won't be so skeered of it.

After my 5th 450 crash/rebuild I said F$#% it and ended up doing circuits and 8's within 4 packs.

oldschool269
05-08-2008, 09:15 PM
i agree , you have to let go of your stress

then itll all flow out the sticks. when i have to demo with the watch'n public , the fight is with me , not the heli.
at home i just bash away pack after pack, in public puttin on a demo you gotta be careful !~not to let your nerves get the bettter of you .
Jason

ImNix
05-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Yes.