Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 05:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default New battery new head speed?

I was running a stock battery (1800Mah) in my blade 400 until now. I got a new 2100 Mah battery and charged it with my charger and balancer. Yesterday I flew it with the 1800 frrst and the head speed seemed ok as usual. After the 1800 ran down I put the 2100 in the heli and I had probably twice the head speed than I had with the first battery. At first I thought that my "Idle up" was flipped on but it was off. The head speed was unreal for the heli. But also the battery did not last very long iether. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
WyDiablo
WyDiablo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's simple. Power (Watts) = Amps times Voltage. With better batteries the head speed will be higher because the voltage drop is less due to the internal resistance of the battery being lower.

For the headspeed to be doubled, you'd need to put on a 6S battery pack. More than likely you'd burn up the ESC and at those kind of head speeds, the head would just explode. You probably picked up 200 rpm, which can sound like a lot.

What is the battery?
AMA# 3066
skigolfmike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I'm using a E-Flite 2100 maH 3s 11.1v 20c Lipo 13 GA ES3 Battery
Old 07-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

K - doing a little math 20C * 1.8Ah = 36A, 20C * 2.1Ah = 42A. Your not going to pull more than 25A with the stock motor and not more than 12-13A hovering. So why the difference when both batteries are capable of putting out way more than the power system is capable of drawing?

2 reasons. First the internal resistance of the larger capacity battery is lower, so the voltage loss in the battery under load is less. Secondly, your other battery is not new, so, depending on the number of cycles and how deep you discharged the battery each time, may not be as good as it was when it was new.

I got 2 stock batteries initially. Then I got 2 TP 2100 ProLites. They are only 15C, but right off the bat they had 200RPM more than the E-Flite 1800 20C. E-Flite's 20C is pretty weak IMHO.
AMA# 3066
skigolfmike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the good info. I'll try and digest as much as I can lol thanks man
Old 07-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigolfmike View Post
K - doing a little math 20C * 1.8Ah = 36A, 20C * 2.1Ah = 42A. Your not going to pull more than 25A with the stock motor and not more than 12-13A hovering. So why the difference when both batteries are capable of putting out way more than the power system is capable of drawing?

2 reasons. First the internal resistance of the larger capacity battery is lower, so the voltage loss in the battery under load is less. Secondly, your other battery is not new, so, depending on the number of cycles and how deep you discharged the battery each time, may not be as good as it was when it was new.

I got 2 stock batteries initially. Then I got 2 TP 2100 ProLites. They are only 15C, but right off the bat they had 200RPM more than the E-Flite 1800 20C. E-Flite's 20C is pretty weak IMHO.
Mike, the speedy is only rated for 25A you'll find that you can put more than that through it especially under high load, it has a burst value just like your batteries, (not that I've been able to reach that). It is possible to draw enough current to cook the ESC.
Mon_t is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in