PDA

View Full Version : Grub Screws will not come loose

wherndon
07-11-2008, 09:04 PM
I am trying to install CNC parts and have run across where the grub screws in the OEM plastic tail and both on the OEM flybar will not break loose. I have bent both of my 1.5mm allen wrenches. I have soaked the flybar grubs in a bottle of polish remover(acetone) for 30 minutes and they still will not come loose. They must have used permanent loctite when assemblying the components at the factory.

Please help!!!!

copterboy
07-12-2008, 02:18 AM
Have you got any spare shafts and a steel bit for a jigsaw? :YeaBaby: Only kidding...lol!

Mine were on real tight, but managed to get them off after a bit of a fight. I was using the L shaped allens at first, but then I borrowed a good allen wrench (like a screwdriver). The extra leverage was all I needed.

If you don't know anyone who has one then maybe try taking it down your local hobbystore and ask the good assistant for some advice and a demo of how good their tools are? Tell them your thinking of buying one and want to see if it works!!! LOL :thumbup:

Ber60
07-12-2008, 03:04 AM
Also heat will help to loosen screws (soldering iron, bic, flame thrower :))

copterboy
07-12-2008, 03:36 PM
I've got a plumbers torch you can borrow! May have to use it myself to get screws out of cnc tail section, need to replace belt and shaft and couldn't get them out earlier today.

Thought I'd come back here to find if any more suggestions were posted. Sod's law eh! :lolol

nitsuj
07-13-2008, 09:00 PM
As a last resort, I guess you could try drilling them out :dontknow

Ian 777
07-15-2008, 04:04 PM
If you drill them you bung the threads, a pointed bit in a soldering iron will get them out, But be careful not to melt the plastic:)

copterboy
07-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Just used plumbers torch to disassemble CNC tail section!

Held it with some pliars high above flame then lowered it down closer a few times, for a few seconds each time. It worked :thumbup: but very crude method. Didn't have to worry about the plastic pulley & belt as these were both being replaced. I think if your tryin to keep yours safe, try the soldering iron method, as this will apply the heat directly on the screws! :flamedevil

DierWolf
07-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Not a crude method, its THE method to loosen loc-tited screws.