PDA

View Full Version : Kinetic 50 with what appears to be an "extra" fuel tank?

rnbiker
07-28-2008, 07:48 PM
I have a Kinetic 50 that I purchased from eBay and I'm now re-working and preparing to fly. My question is.... It has what appears to be an "extra" fuel tank beside the main tank. I don't see it listed among the parts though. Has my heli been rigged-up with some sort of "reserve" tank or something? Has anyone seen this before? Thanks.

Figure.N9ne
07-28-2008, 07:56 PM
its called a header tank. it helps maintain pressure so you get a more consistant running engine.

RAV50
07-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Yes, it is an optional extra tank. Some call it a sub-tank, some call it an air-trap, some mistakenly call it a header tank. Unfortunately, contrary to what some still believe, it does NOT keep the carb head pressure the same from full to empty.

What it does, is act as an airtrap to keep bubbles from entering the fuel line if and wg=heb the fuel clunk, in the main tank, finds itself in an area of the tank (possible during some maneuvers, when low on fuel) that does ot have fuel.

It can also act as a reserve when all the fuel in the maintank runs dry.

rnbiker
07-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Cool! I was wondering what it was for. If it acts as a reserve that would be nice. The only thing I'm worried about is.... Will it affect the balance of the helicopter or change the center of gravity or anything? It seems like it sticks out a little, even though it is quite professionally mounted. Any thoughts?

Forced_Induction
07-29-2008, 12:06 AM
its balance effects will be negligable. as long as it still balances fore and aft, itll be ok.

rnbiker
07-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Cool! Thanks! Looks like I got an added bonus with my heli.....makes up for the fact that it had crappy servos and a crappy MDS 48 engine when I bought it. Luckily, I'm using the servos and engine on a plank that they are much better suited for. Thanks for the inputs.