PDA

View Full Version : DX6i Trim Tab Failure: Anyone Else?

Wolfpackin
08-20-2008, 02:31 PM
My rudder trim switch, on the front of the DX6i, stopped working in the direction of right rudder trim.
Unfortunately I did not fully realize this until my rudder trim was clicked way over to the left.:arggg:
So now I'm stuck not able to fly unless I fix the switch or at least get it back over to center.

Do I access the trim tab/switches by removing the front hex screws and cover or do I open up the back of the radio?

Has anyone had this problem or know if there are any user friendly (servicable) parts inside?

I have a bad feeling nothing will look fixable to me.

Penguin
08-20-2008, 02:36 PM
You probably tried this already but I have one finiky trim switch that I have to push down and to the side instead of just pushing to the side.

RevToTheRedline
08-20-2008, 02:38 PM
I have the same problem as the above poster, doesn't bother me any though.

eugenefelisco
08-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Wolf did you try to look at Radioshack if the switch is available. You will have problems if you can't get it to the center.

Slyster
08-20-2008, 02:43 PM
To get it centered (for now) you could copy the model to an empty slot. (I would think it wouldn't copy trim settings would it?) or make a brand new model.

Flyemhigh
08-20-2008, 03:39 PM
I did and took it back to the LHS I bought it from and they sent it back to Spektrum for repair. They gave me a loaner until it was returned.

gmd59
08-20-2008, 05:10 PM
I had the same problem...I called Horizon and they said to send it in....I was without the dx6i for about 10 days...
They fixed it with no questions asked.

GD

Wolfpackin
08-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

I don't have a local hobby store.
And I'm really hoping I don't have to send it back to Horizon and be without a radio for a while. Besides, the last part I returned to Horizon got lost.

So, has anyone taken the front of the radio off?
Ant thoughts on accessing the back of the trim tabs?

Thanks again.

rourkem
08-20-2008, 05:20 PM
I had this happen on my DX7. I managed to "fix" it by pushing really hard in the direction that wasn't working. I did that, plus some wiggling until I was able to re-center the trim. I haven't had any issues with it since.

GunnyGlow
08-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Ya gotta stop bangin those sticks around mang!!! ;)

Wolfpackin
08-21-2008, 02:14 AM
Yup, turns out it was just a broken arm on the plastic trim tab/switch.

The trim tab rocks a lever arm back and forth, like a seesaw, to actuate push button switches on a circuit board.
One of those lever arms was broken and unable to apply enough pressure to the integrated switch.

Glued it back with CA and all is well.:YeaBaby:

jhgamer808
08-21-2008, 06:56 AM
So you never said if you fixed it by opening the front or the back. I'm guessing front since that would be most logical right? Anyway,great repair! Anybody else with this type of problem should check to see if theirs is as easy to fix!

e-bomb
08-21-2008, 08:18 AM
happened to mine right out of the box. i took the back off, and shimmed the rocker with a few pieces of tape. works fine now.

TowPilot
08-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

I don't have a local hobby store.
And I'm really hoping I don't have to send it back to Horizon and be without a radio for a while. Besides, the last part I returned to Horizon got lost.

So, has anyone taken the front of the radio off?
Ant thoughts on accessing the back of the trim tabs?

Thanks again.

Maybe you could talk Horizon into shipping you the part and you install it?

Just a thought......

HeliMix
08-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Obviously, you now know. There are six screws in the back and the Tx comes apart. Careful if/when you do so. The wires are a little short and you cannot simply lay it open.

Knowing the customer service of Horizon, I would certainly call them if you have trouble in the future. If you feel you can do simple repairs, ask them if they would send you the switch. If not, send it in to them. As you can see, they do a lot, no questions asked. I have been very pleased with their CS.

killboy
08-22-2008, 02:18 AM
Mine did the same thing on the right stick. Figured out the hole that the trim switch sticks up through was just too small, and not letting it move into clicking range sometimes. I popped the controller open, and used a small file to enlarge the whole so the switch could move further. Put it back together and no problems since. :thumbup:

MCD
08-22-2008, 01:12 PM
I have had the same prob I just switched the rudder trim button with throttles
don't use that one as often.Thats if you only broke the tab off the other one.:dontknow