PDA

View Full Version : Mini T-Pretty impressive for an all plastic heli!

warpspeed
08-23-2008, 10:22 PM
I bought a Mini Titan primarily because I love the Cobra fuse, but I gotta say the heli itself is pretty cool!:thumbup:
Finished setting up the head and took her out to the garage for the maiden and she performed flawlessly. Well, until I bumped the Vmax with it. Bye Bye Hyperions! Oh well, that's what I get for trying to hover in a garage full of motorcycles. It was just too windy out but I've been dying to get the fuse mounted so......:arggg:
Anyway the Trex crowd is definitely missing out. For one thing, I was able to squeeze out +16/-16 degrees of pitch-14 is the most I could ever get out of the Rex. I also really like how 'low profile' she is-the frames aren't tall like the Align birdie, and with the lowered battery mount that comes with the Cobra she should roll very well. I also really like the tail/boom mount design. It's nice to be able to remove the whole unit without upsetting belt tension.
There are a couple of niggling things. The linkages are ridiculously thin and fragile. And phillips head screws just plain suck. But otherwise she went together without issue-everything fit well and went together as they should. Can't say the same about my Rex.
The elevated tail is slick as snot. Can't wait to get her outdoors and see what she can do!

Anyway, I'm not telling you Titan owner's anything you don't already know, but I hope you don't mind me gushing a bit. :lol:
Thunder Tiger did an awesome job with the Cobra fuse too-it's very complete, detailed, and fits the stock airframe like a glove.
Unfortunately it's stuck in it's box until replacement parts get here.:bawl

On that note.....The stock main shaft is a little softer than I expected. Is there a hardened or aftermarket shaft available?

fakyrr
08-24-2008, 01:26 AM
Glad you like it as much as we do!

For a discussion about hardened shaft search the thread named "to bend or not to bend" in this forum. It's available as an upgrade but I'm not convinced it's a good move: costs double (if not x4 as you get two standard shafts per package) weights more and if it doesn't bend, you'll break something else in place.

For sure you'll bend the standard one with the slightest crash, but usually everything elses survives.

People coming from the align world complain a lot about the small ball links but there is no report of pop'ed or broken ones while in flight, or at least not more than with the other helis AFAIK. I've never had any issue myself so far.

I agree they are a pain because standard tools doesn't work with them though...

helicraze
08-24-2008, 03:45 AM
My mini titan SE self destructed in mid air while decending in idle up mode (stock recommend curves) i think the head over sped and link came off. It cost me about $200 to repair, basically nothing survived.
But after that no dramas.

warpspeed
08-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Ouch! That's a scenario I'd definitely like to avoid. I haven't tach'd it yet but I think the headspeed is already too high, especially for scale.

I suppose the reason I'm considering a stronger main shaft is because my "crash" wasn't really a crash. I had all of about a 3' square space to try her out in and when I got too close to the bike I dumb-thumbed the collective and set her down kind of hard. I'll post a pic later if you're interested but it looks like the tips of both blades "exploded." I think they flexed and hit the ground, although how they missed the boom I'll never know. I guess I thought it would take a little more force than that to bend the shaft. Haven't checked the feathering shaft yet but I hope it's not as soft!

helicraze
08-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Well put it this way i bent my feathering shaft before my main shaft LOL

helikev2
08-30-2008, 12:31 AM
Hi warpspeed

TT does have 2 version of main shaft.

PV0704 - main shaft

and the other one is harden main shaft PV0802 but i have never tried it before.

~~~~kev

warpspeed
08-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Thanks Kev, looks like I may be trying the hardened shafts after all. I know I risk breaking other parts of the head, but after the rebuild I tried a little experiment and it turns out rapid pitch pumps can bend the feathering shaft! Not that I intend to fly her that way once the fuse is installed, but you know how it goes......sometimes hammering the collective is the only way to get out of trouble.
Besides the plastic head parts are pretty cheap.:thumbup:
She does fly very well and the elevated tail looks awesome. I have run across one other small, tiny little 'quirk.'
I should have paid attention during the initial build, but based on where you place the collars replacement main shafts can vary in their position (up or down) by a little over 3-4mm. Which means having to re-setup the head every time the shaft is replaced unless you're careful to place the collars in the exact same position on the new shaft as the old. Not a big deal, but it did have me scratching my head for a minute wondering why my pitch range had changed.
I'm hoping to get final adjustments done and the fuse mounted this weekend.:banana

tomra
08-31-2008, 05:41 AM
I donīt know, i have bent a few different shafts and to me they bend equally, hardened or none hardened. I guess how you crash got a lot to do with it.