PDA

View Full Version : DL 4 output charger

SGUNN911
01-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Does anyone who owns the 4 output charger from Duralite know if I can use the 11.1 volt outlet to charge my Thunder power 2100mAh/11.1V 3 cell batteries for my T-Rex or is it only for Duralite transmitter batteries?

I wanted to get an RX setup from them and will get the 4 output charger if I can use it for my other batteries.

Anyone know the best place/price to get the 60/90 heli RX package with an upgraded charger if it does do what I want?

Also, I have read a TON of post talking about problems with the LED's on these chargers, anyone know if this has been addressed or fixed?

Thanks!

DavidH
01-17-2006, 07:50 AM
I know of a few people that have used the Duralite 3+1 charger to charge some small milliamp 11.1 volt li-po packs. The charger charges at 400 mah, so if the pack you mention was low, it would take 4 to 5 hours to fully charge it.

Probably the best place to buy Duralite packages is one of the dealers that has Duralite. Rick's R/C is one of them. Also Duralite will sell direct.

Don't really know about a problem with LED's on the chargers. But Duralite customer service is great. They will handle any problem that arises quickly.

David

SGUNN911
01-17-2006, 01:05 PM
I'm not really worried about the time, just that it won't overcharge the packs (auto detect?) and cause problems. I didnt know if that port was hardwired for a specific mAh and possibly cell count they use for TX batteries.

The LED problem is mostly posted on that "other" site. Almost all the problems are with the third rx port, led doesnt light new from box on several peoples chargers.

DavidH
01-17-2006, 01:24 PM
I don't believe the charger will overcharge the pack. It is designed to cut off at 4.2 volts per cell. Duralite sells an optional charging lead also for the 11.1 volt charger.

an optional 11.1 volt battery charging lead for 11.1 volt ECU, RX and
Li-Poly battery packs, part #32436, is available).

David

SGUNN911
01-17-2006, 08:31 PM
I sent them an email requesting information on if I could upgrade the single charger to the 4 output charger and I can't get a response.

I hear they are supposed to have good customer service, is email not a good way to communicate with these people?

DavidH
01-18-2006, 08:33 AM
Sometimes Email is slow getting answered. Best way to contact them is to call.
Toll Free 877-744-3685

They are located on the West Coast of Canada. So they are in the Pacific time zone.
Mon. - Thurs: 7:00 am to 3:00 pm Pacific Standard Time
Fri: 7:00 am to 12 noon Pacific Standard Time

Central time 9am- 5PM

Rachelle or Jack will answer the phone.

I sent them an email requesting information on if I could upgrade the single charger to the 4 output charger and I can't get a response.

If you mean swap a NIB single port in on a NIB 4 port. I would think they could do that.

David

dunbare
01-18-2006, 08:42 AM
I've charged my 3Sp 1250 Lipo for my foamie using the 11.1 volt port plenty of times. Never had a problem, it just took a long time. I've since order a new charger for my T-Rex batteries.

SGUNN911
01-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the responses. Customer service called me after I placed an order with a ton of notes attached :D

Guess that's the way to get them, by phone not by email...

Thanks for the help!

SGUNN911
01-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks Duralite!

I need to post a "retraction" I guess. The e-mail was answered and I recieved a phone call. The email was responded to right after the post, i jumped the gun and got impatient.

These guys really are nice and professional., and spent time with me on the phone to make sure I got what I wanted. The only other place Ive gotten service like this was from Rick's.

I had to deal with Thunder Power a few months ago and am just getting the problem resolved after numerous emails and calls with nothin but excuses (replacement battery out of stock, weren't put together yet, need to analyze my battery, holiday delays, etc.).

Are you listening Thunder Power??!!

Maybe you can take a lesson from these guys before you go under. You may be cheaper, but I'm a whole lot more confident with what I just bought and I haven't even got it yet, just talked to the people....and the cost isn't as much of an issue after buying all the hardware.

Thanks Duralite, I hope this set-up works out,.

WillJames
01-19-2006, 05:37 AM
Thank you for posting your experiences Scott. I think a lot of people thing the DL Reps are just blowing smoke when they talk about how good DL Customer Service is, but your experience goes to show that it is not just a bunch of smoke and mirrors like some companies.

Thank you,

DavidH
01-19-2006, 08:30 AM
Scott,
As you found out. Jack and Rachelle go the extra mile with their customers. The only complaint I have really ever heard is that when most customers talk to Jack or Rachelle that they keep them on the phone too long. <G> They do like to talk to their customers and make sure they are satisfied with the product and service.

David

SGUNN911
01-24-2006, 01:00 AM
I don't believe the charger will overcharge the pack. It is designed to cut off at 4.2 volts per cell. Duralite sells an optional charging lead also for the 11.1 volt charger.

an optional 11.1 volt battery charging lead for 11.1 volt ECU, RX and
Li-Poly battery packs, part #32436, is available).

David

Got the package with the charger AND special made connector that duralite made for my trex deans connection.

Plugged the 11.1 TP battery in the 11.1 output on the charger, and fried it. The battery is about twice the size now. Luckily I was watching it pretty close. So now I got one TP pack that came dead from the factory waiting to get replaced and one that I just fried. Gues my TRex will be taking a break.

Just for anyone else out there using it for that, be careful.

DavidH
01-24-2006, 07:20 AM
Scott,
I don't understand what happened with your 11.1 volt Li-Po pack. I have seen a few people charging 11.1 volt Li-Po packs with the 11.1 volt port on the 3 + 1 charger.
Only thing I can suggest to look at. Is make sure that the plugs are the correct polarity. Charge plug and plug on battery wired the same. red to red and black to black?

David

SGUNN911
01-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Yeah, wired up properly. I even load tested the battery before putting it on the charger to make sure everything was right.

Don't know...

SGUNN911
01-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Yeah, wired up properly. I even load tested the battery before putting it on the charger to make sure everything was right.

Don't know...

SGUNN911
01-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Actually, I dont know if they wired their end up right or not. The wires they use are both black, one with white dashes. The white dashed wire goes to the positive side, I am assuming thats correct...

I also took the battery off the charger several times and load tested it to make sure I wasn't overcharging. Never got close.

Blair
01-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Keep in mind Duralite switches the polarity on some of their connections...the power cord for the charger is opposite (black/white wire is negative).

B.

SGUNN911
01-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Duralite made the connector with the deans plug attached. I am assuming they wired it to the standard configuration, with positive being the slot vertical and negative horizontal.

SGUNN911
01-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Duralite called me this morning and confirmed that I should have had no problems with charging it. They said a lot of people are using the charger for charging the 11.1v lipo's.

They are looking into what may have caused the problem, and with the experience Ive had with them I am sure they will make it right.

I will make sure and post the resolution when it's figured out. It may have been a battery issue, just dont know. They are sending me a new charger and package for the old one to send back. They are going to check it all out and see if it was their problem.

If it is, they said they would send me a replacement battery.

DavidH
01-24-2006, 04:19 PM
On all my Dean's Ultra plugs. They are wired with the vertical slot being negative. The postive slot is horizonital. That is the way I have connected the Ultra plugs since Dean's started producing them about 8 or 9 years ago. When I was racing RC cars that is how the people I raced with connected them.

If I was not sure which one was positive and which one negative. I would not connect them together till checking polarity with a volt meter.

The picture below is from Radical RC website. This is way my Ultra plugs are wired.
http://radicalrc.secure-mall.com/shop/images/100256.JPG

When I have gotten batteries with the Ultra Plugs already installed they have been wired the same. Positive on the horizonital ( short side) and negative on the vertical(Long side) of the plug.

You may want to check the polarity again to make sure they match between the charger and the battery.

David

SGUNN911
01-24-2006, 04:29 PM
The wiring was done the way the Deans package Instructions said. I talked with Duralite and confirmed that the wiring was not crossed, and both plugs are wired the same.

DavidH
01-24-2006, 04:51 PM
I am assuming they wired it to the standard configuration, with positive being the slot vertical and negative horizontal.

The standard configuration is positive to the horizonital prong and negative to the vertical prong. Looking next to the prongs where the wires are soldered. There is a + next to horizonital prong and a - next to the vertical prong.

Just trying to make sure that is the way the wires from the battery are wire. Hope you find a solution to the battery swelling.

David

SGUNN911
01-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Yes, the wires were soldered to the correct prongs. I did see the marks on the plugs. I am looking at the plug laying down on its long side. In this position the markings say positive is vertical (up and down) and negative is horizontal (side to side) I have a new plug in front of me and am sure it is connected correctly.

SGUNN911
01-27-2006, 01:04 AM
Duralite figured out the problem and took care of me way beyond what they were expected to.

The TP pack was most likely out of balance and the charger didnt know to stop, just to try and get the pack to the correct voltage which caused the weak cells to cause the others to puff out. I didnt have a balancer and didnt know better. The pack was new, but its the third TP pack Ive got messed up from the factory, so Im not suprised.

Duralite is sending a new charger, and a balancer for me. They are also sending a replacement battery since everything wasnt clear when they said I could charge it, although it was my ignorance that caused it.

Very nice...

You can charge on this charger, just have to watch it and know what your doing.

Thanks again Duralite, Classy operation.

DavidH
01-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Scott,
Glad to hear you got it figured out. I know I have seen people using the charger to charge small 3 cell Lipo's. Never really noticed if they had a balancer hooked to the battery or not.
But it does make sense if the pack was out of balance.

David