PDA

View Full Version : Raptor v1 ?

blkmerlin1
01-30-2006, 01:11 AM
I have a raptor v1 still in the learning process it has quite a few upgrades on it bought it that way, is it worth upgrading to the 50 size conversion or should I just buy a 50 when ever I save and get to that point.

Also is anyone using a jr 500 t gyro I understand that above 50% on the gain setting is in tail lock mode and below that is different is this correct
any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks

capebob
01-30-2006, 06:24 AM
The upgrade path of the 30 V1 to a 50 V1 isn't too bad, but you have to do it piecemeal as I don't think the conversion kits are are available anymore although you may find one gathering dust at a hobby dealer. You will need the longer boom, boom supports, belt, motor mount, spur gear, pinion, gear and fan. Another path you can take is to upgrade your 30 V1 to V2 by using a kit that's about $150 and then convert th 30V2 to a 50 V2 using another kit that's about $100. Even at that you don't get the V2 canopy and canopy stand-offs. Since the V2 is much better than the V1 I really recommend that you save and get the 50. Then you can either sell the V1 (you won't get much for it) or keep it to have a back-up when the inevitable happens. Also, most of the upgrades you have on your 30 can be used on your 50.

Bob

blkmerlin1
01-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the reply that gives me some ideas to work with.
Jeff

flyinfool
01-30-2006, 11:57 AM
I have to agree. By the time you spend the $$$ upgrading you're only a couple of dollars away from a new kit with all new bearings, links, ect.

You can then keep the V1 ship as a backup in case you have an oopie with the 50, you won't be grounded, or turn it into a night ship or something.

alexander
02-01-2006, 09:54 AM
The easiest way to make it into a 50 is with boom, belt, engine mount, fan, gears and main blades. The V-II pinion will work with the V-1 sideframes and clutch. You can drill out the 30 fan and make your own two part engine mount from square bar stock aluminum. It doesn't need to be fancy like the pic.

http://www.scotiabladerunners.ca/Pictures/rap8.jpg

Here's what you may be missing out on as a concern. Driven tail, better V-II main rotor head, better boom supports and stronger tail hub. The tail hub is a must if not already done and entails a hub, four grip bearings and two blade grips for about 25 bucks.

It's a matter of how far you want to take the conversion and what upgrade parts are on your helicopter already. The V-1 conversion will be slightly lighter. You may want a bigger fuel tank for longer flight times since the engine will consume more fuel.

That being said I have a cheaply converted 30V-1 to a 50 that works fine.

Stephen