PDA

View Full Version : HELP can't charge my new blade mcx

Cullen Colapietro
10-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Hello all, I am new to heli's but not to rc. I am having a problem with my bmcx charger. When I insert the battery, the red charging light comes on as anticipated. However, after 1 hour charge time, the light is still on and the battery has no charge. I have lipos and have tested them all, so it's not the battery. I'm frustrated because this heli is great!

I took the issue to my LHS and the owner replaced my charger. I returned home with the new charger and to my dismay, I had the same issue. I've tried freshly charged 2500mAh AA's as well with the same issue. Should I buy new alkalines? I only have 8 or so charges on the cells included with the heli.

Any ideas?

estone
10-05-2008, 05:21 PM
id try alcalines the individual cell voltage is higher it would be 1.2v higher than rechargeables. the batts that came with me only made it about 4-5 charges then it did the same thing as yours.the alcs they send are junk u should be able to get 15-20 charges per set

Cullen Colapietro
10-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks, I'll go buy some fresh batteries.

Cullen Colapietro
10-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Feeling a little stupid, the new batteries did the trick. I should have thought of that, thanks. I just assumed since the rechargeables did the same thing that it was the charger. I have tried freshly recharged batteries and they will charge the mcx lipos. We'll see how many times.

estone
10-05-2008, 11:01 PM
ur rechargeables might be getting weak, i just tried some duracell 2500s and they work in mine we'll see for how many charges

hfReader
10-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Got my mCX today and tried to charge using NiMH cells.
Although I charged the NiMHs before, charging never
completed (waited more than one hour).

So I disassembled the E-Flite charger:

- remove the 4 sticky rubber pads at the bottom
- remove the 4 screws
- remove the 2 screws of the charging jack
- cut off the black and red wires at the jack
- solder new wires to the jack

and crafted my own recharger cable.

When charging with 100 mA it will take 1 hour.
So I increased charging current to to 200 mA (ca. 2C)
yielding 20-30 min charging time.

5 cycles without problems so far.

Btw the mCX is a great improvement
compared to the bigger coax helicopters:

No TBE, minimal yaw axis drift, precise steering,
rock solid hover, weather independent indoor flying :-)

DaddyDan
10-14-2008, 06:40 PM
awesome idea! i was thinking at making a 5v powersuply with a protoboard, you idea is much easier!!
i hate the fact that i can't use my nimh 2700mah for more than 4-5 charges since they are only 1.2v even if they are in good shape, after 4 or 6 charges the voltage gets too low (1.2 is too low for the charger) :(