HeliFreak

HeliFreak (https://www.helifreak.com/)
-   MSH Mini Protos (https://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Where is your FBL mounted? (https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=406052)

wbefield 04-14-2012 11:04 AM

Where is your FBL mounted?

as stated above. I want to mount my ZYX inside the frame on the lower plastic. Looks to be parallel to the boom.

scott s 04-14-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbefield (Post 3849730)
as stated above. I want to mount my ZYX inside the frame on the lower plastic. Looks to be parallel to the boom.

Yes the bottom plate is 90 degrees to the mainshaft and boom however I mount my beastx on top of the boom clamp housing. Easy to get to the buttons on beastx but more importantly if you ever hit hard inverted there is a very high risk that you can drive the mainshaft thru your fbl unit. I also find it much easier to wire up every thing and do a neat all hidden wire job. One of my minis is beastx on top of boom block and sat on the bottom of boom block and the other is an ar7200bx on top of boom block. They both are stretched 6s. I also like the looks of a nice clean open frame under the main.

wbefield 04-14-2012 11:32 AM

I did my Protos 500 like yours. BeastX on boom block, receiver on bottom tray.

On my stretched mini I will have cnc alun servo blocks & lower bearing block, so not much worried about my mainshaft coming through(hopefully). Also, there are no buttons on the ZYX unit that I need to get to and would rather my wires be underneath. Eventually I'll get an AR7200bx and be able to get rid of half the wiring.

Chris Nifty 04-14-2012 04:43 PM

Have a look at my two on page 18 of the pics thread. They're quite neat, even neater looking than you can get mounting on the boom block imho. I mounted them there for less vibes from the tail. Would like to try to reduce tail vibes and try a boom block mounting on my next one though.

scott s 04-15-2012 04:29 PM

Yes, I have decided that if I get the thunderpower 6s pro batteries for my stretched mini's I will move the beastx and ar7200bx up under the main with all cnc servo and 3rd bearing blocks do to the lighter weight of the TP batteries. I realized that getting to the pots on these fbl units is easy with a long appropriate screw driver right down thru the top of the heli in front of the swash. Plent of opening in the main gear so it will not be difficult at all. The sat on the beastx heli will stay on the bottom of boom block. Ya it will be neater also!

Chris Nifty 04-16-2012 01:52 AM

Yes Scott, you did figure it out. Basically you have to mount the fbl units more forward than I have mine mounted to get good access that way. Looks like I will be able to get to the pots on mine that way also, just with the screwdriver on an angle though. Will want to be one heck of a long skinny one though.

Chris Nifty 04-16-2012 02:46 AM

Actually, I mounted those units specifically in that position so the wires coming out the back of the unit are pretty much hidden between the frames. Mounted more forward than that, the wires then become more visible unless anybody's got a trick to hide them in that scenario. Black sleeving is all I can think of. Maybe a piece of black tape over all of the wires.

Mikej 04-16-2012 03:56 AM

I also have my Beastx on the boom block - receiver under the mani shaft

beans07 04-16-2012 07:07 AM

Mini Vbar on the boom block. I suspect under the main shaft would have better vibration isolation but it is too hard to plug vbar and CP into it under there.

scott s 04-16-2012 10:42 AM

Well after much carefull thought I have decided that the beastx and ar7200bx on my minis will stay on top of the boom block. There is less wiring showing with everything plugged in with the connector end on the fbl units facing forward and the wires tucked down inbetween the frame and pulley guide holders then a black piece of foam stuffed into the slanted rear portion of the frame and secured with a nice velcro strap. Moving the beastx or ar7200bx to under the main shaft requres it to be pretty forward to get to the pots thru the top of the heli and just to much wiring showing behind it for my likes and still a slight pain to get to the pots and I will not do the braid thing as I did it on my 550 outrages and it is just not worth it. I am sure the heli will balance with the tp 6s 1300 pro batteries anyways. Plus the open area under the main shaft has allowed me to drill a small hole in the bottom plate so I can get to the bolt in the bottom of the main shaft super duper easily. I have never had vibration problems with these mounted on top of the boom blocks so they will stay there!

wbefield 04-16-2012 11:08 AM

Tarot ZYX fbl that I'm going to use doesn't have any pots to adjust.

SMJT 04-16-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbefield (Post 3856145)
Tarot ZYX fbl that I'm going to use doesn't have any pots to adjust.

No worries then :thumbup: the only thing to watch for is when you lube your belt, after the first flight most access lube ends up on the bottom tray.

wbefield 04-16-2012 11:44 AM

I use silicone spray on the belt and let it dry before I fly it.

matthewcornell 12-29-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbefield (Post 3849807)
I did my Protos 500 like yours. BeastX on boom block, receiver on bottom tray.

Doesn't this mean you have to remove the bx to replace bent booms? It holds the two boom block halves together, right?

SMJT 12-30-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewcornell (Post 4574091)
Doesn't this mean you have to remove the bx to replace bent booms? It holds the two boom block halves together, right?

I don't need to remove my beastx from the boom block to replace the boom.

wbefield 12-30-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMJT (Post 4575440)
I don't need to remove my beastx from the boom block to replace the boom.

Me neither. Just loosen up the boom block and the tail boom slides right out.

matthewcornell 01-01-2013 03:29 PM

I found out in another thread that I had installed the boom backwards so that the slot was at the tail and the hole at the block. Now I understand. Thanks.