HeliFreak

HeliFreak (http://www.helifreak.com/index.php)
-   YGE (http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=269)
-   -   YGE 120 HV and 700mx settings (http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=384962)

Chrisk7 02-14-2012 11:11 PM

YGE 120 HV and 700mx settings

OK I started messing with it tonight. Got it all hooked up and tried programming it.

I plugged the short lead on the ESC into the left ESC port on the program card, used a 4-cell nicad (5.2v) to power up the receiver and card.
I left the long lead plugged into the throttle channel on the receiver, and ran another lead from another rx ch. to the RX port on the card for powering the card.

I've read all the other topics I could find on this ESC and program card including the instruction sheet that came with the card so I think I have it figured out how to program.

I also powered up the ESC with the flight pack (12s) first, then powered up the RX and card with the nicad bat. (5.2v)
After programming, I powered down the ESC (flight pack) then turned off the rx and card.

Wasn't sure about the special functions other than, I think I set my throttle low and high points on the "stop" and "Full speed" area's by lowering the throttle stick and hitting the enter button and hearing the beep, same with the high stick setting.
Made sure I was in normal mode with a linear throttle curve from 0 to 100%

My flight packs have a storage voltage of around 3.85v per cell so I would think that there would be enough energy to power the motor up but it didn't. All it did was turn really slowly and make a weird clicking or bad timing sound when I went to run up the motor like I was going to fly it.
I didn't have the program card hooked up and I'm pretty sure it took the settings that I programed into it below.
I have the mainshaft and gears out of the frame so only the motor and pinion are turning.

I have the stock slant type main gear with a 12T pinion.

I think I left the timing at 18 deg. default.
Brake- off
Cut off type- LiPo
Cut off V- 2.7/3.4
Cells- 12

In the advanced settings (blinking LED)
Act Freew.- on Gov- off
Gov. mode P-gain ----1.2 (in the middle)
Gov. mode I-gain-----0.05 (in the middle)
Start up speed- Heli middle
PWM-Frequency- 10kHz
Start up Power 4%

My other questions are how to set up the gov mode, and which one?
How do I set a head speed of say, 1900-Idle 1 and 2050-Idle 2?
Do I set up regular throttle curves in the flight modes with a tach and no gov, then how do I tell the card and ESC where to run the rpm's at in gov mode?

What is the difference between Gov. store, Gov., and fast (Gov) on the second page under the Act. Freew. Gov. Mode settings?

Is there some sort of a flow chart somewhere that shows these things?
This seem very confusing for someone who has never programed something like this before.

Mystic3D 02-14-2012 11:26 PM

The motor start sounds strange, the settings you have should be fine. Have you used Startup Power =auto?
Lower PWM=8 KHz

I think Gov Store is where you need to end up with, to keep things simple in the begining regular gov mode to get it going.

Normal THrottle curve 0-60,60,60

Just use Mr Mels Calc to get a starting throttle %

Idle 1 - Flat 65% - whatever value you come up with
Idle 2 Flat 70%

yes then just tach at each HS and adjust as needed.

You did the programming part right, so that's all good

Try again and see of it starts properly. Have you used this motor before?

Ecaf 02-15-2012 07:05 AM

Your settings are slightly different than what I use on YGE/700MX combo.

Got this from here: http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=35

* Timing = 18
* Brake = off
* act.-Freew. = on / Gov. oder Gov.-Store = on
* P-Gain = 0,9
* I-Gain = 0,05
* Startup Speed = Heli Slow
* PWM-Frquency = 8 kHz
* Start power = 2 or 4%

I agree with Mystic and simply set up regular gov for now. When you are ready, set up Gov store following these instructions:

http://elektrorc.com/article_info.php?articles_id=6

I can get you more information on my throttle curves tonight. I run about 1900 RPM in the low gov, so it should be close to what you want.

Ecaf 02-16-2012 06:43 AM

Update:

My throttle curve is at 85% which gives me ~1900 RPM of head speed using gov store.

Chrisk7 02-16-2012 10:57 PM

Still having troubles with it.
I've been trying different settings with the governor on and off with the I and p gains set where people have recommended in the middle.
I've tried several different combinations of settings but when I go to power up the motor it's just turns slowly and makes a growling sound and will not speed up.
Both the motor and the esc start heating up fairly quickly.
I shut everything down long before it gets too hot but I can tell somethings wrong.
I bought the yge 120hv used on the forums and the Align 700mx motor is brand new from a kit.
I'm wondering if there something wrong with the controller but I would think it would either work or not. It seems to take to programming and I can make changes on it so I really don't think it's the esc.

When I program it I have the short cable from the esc going to the left bottom port on the card.
I then unplug the throttle cable from the receiver and plug a servo extension into the receiver throttle port ch to the right bottom port on the programming card.
Should I be leaving the throttle cable from the esc plugged in to the receiver throttle channel like a normal flight?
Tonight I'm going to try a different motor out of my 550 to see if it powers it up.
I'm pretty sure if I'm doing something wrong I just can't figure it out.
I did add an extension to the leads going to the motor from the esc but the total length is only about 8 inches.

Well I also tried it on my 550 motor with the same results.
Now I'm thinking it is the ESC.
I've contacted the guy I bought it from to see if he has any idea's. If we can't figure this out what do you think I should do?
I'm really not nuts about sending it back to Germany for repair, if that is even an option.
I'm also certain that I did nothing to damage it either as I have asked many questions on several forums and did lots of research before I touched it to make sure I didn't screw things up.:arggg:

I'm real sure I don't want to try a Castle unit but I'm thinking of getting a Scorpion 90 or 130 Commander if I can't figure this one out.

Mystic3D 02-16-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisk7 (Post 3662756)
Still having troubles with it.
I've been trying different settings with the governor on and off with the I and p gains set where people have recommended in the middle.
I've tried several different combinations of settings but when I go to power up the motor it's just turns slowly and makes a growling sound and will not speed up.
Both the motor and the esc start heating up fairly quickly.
I shut everything down long before it gets too hot but I can tell somethings wrong.
I bought the yge 120hv used on the forums and the Align 700mx motor is brand new from a kit.
I'm wondering if there something wrong with the controller but I would think it would either work or not. It seems to take to programming and I can make changes on it so I really don't think it's the esc.

When I program it I have the short cable from the esc going to the left bottom port on the card.
I then unplug the throttle cable from the receiver and plug a servo extension into the receiver throttle port ch to the right bottom port on the programming card.
Should I be leaving the throttle cable from the esc plugged in to the receiver throttle channel like a normal flight?
Tonight I'm going to try a different motor out of my 550 to see if it powers it up.
I'm pretty sure if I'm doing something wrong I just can't figure it out.
I did add an extension to the leads going to the motor from the esc but the total length is only about 8 inches.

Well I also tried it on my 550 motor with the same results.
Now I'm thinking it is the ESC.
I've contacted the guy I bought it from to see if he has any idea's. If we can't figure this out what do you think I should do?
I'm really not nuts about sending it back to Germany for repair, if that is even an option.
I'm also certain that I did nothing to damage it either as I have asked many questions on several forums and did lots of research before I touched it to make sure I didn't screw things up.:arggg:

I'm real sure I don't want to try a Castle unit but I'm thinking of getting a Scorpion 90 or 130 Commander if I can't figure this one out.

Sounds like you have narrowed it down ot the ESC. yes you can send it back to YGE for repair. This is not a disposable ESC like many others.
BTW extending the ESC to motor wires by 8" is not a good idea.

desertstalker 02-17-2012 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic3D (Post 3662775)
BTW extending the ESC to motor wires by 8" is not a good idea.

Pretty sure YGE make a capacitor unit for this purpose, should remove any chance of issues.

Ecaf 02-17-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertstalker (Post 3663133)
Pretty sure YGE make a capacitor unit for this purpose, should remove any chance of issues.

The CAP pack is for the battery->ESC connection.

Ive never heard of issues with lengthening the ESC->Motor wires, as long as they are all the same. 8" is a bit much tho.

Information for sending back to YGE is here:

http://elektrorc.com/article_info.php?articles_id=22

Should run you about $50 plus shipping costs.

gmarsden 02-17-2012 08:01 AM

Do you have the shorting plug (pins 1-3) installed in the programming cable from the ESC when trying to run the motor. My 120HV causes motor stuttering without it.

Chrisk7 02-17-2012 08:17 AM

I didn't know anything about shorting pins?????
Are you saying the short cable coming out of the ESC needs to have some sort of jumper running from two of the wires?
If so, which two?
If there is anything in the instruction manual I totally missed that one.

gmarsden 02-17-2012 10:34 AM

Mine came with a connector with one wire connecting pins 1 and 3 that plugs into the ESC cable that would go to the prog card during programming. PM me your email if you want a picture.

heliddd 02-17-2012 11:18 AM

"Both the motor and the esc start heating up fairly quickly"

--Check the solder joints on both Batt and Motor connectors (I would redo the solder and make sure no cold soldering. For sanity check - Spooling up the motor for a min or two without blades in full power or near that range -> all the wires (Batt & Motor) should be cool or a bit warmer than ambient temp - if they are hot then you have a cold soldering issue.

"When I program it I have the short cable from the esc going to the left bottom port on the card.
Should I be leaving the throttle cable from the esc plugged in to the receiver throttle channel like a normal flight?"

- Leave the throttle cable from the esc plugged in to the receiver (don't remove this ESC cable - use a 5V supplied from separate batt directly to the right port on the Prog Card II)
- Plug the short cable from the ESC to left of the Prog Card II.

BTW, for some reasons if I used the Rx to power the Prog Card II with the supplied servo cable (running at 6V) -> I will have problem with programming the ESC. However, programming is fine if I used 5V batt supplied directly to the Prog Card II

At this point you can program the all the parameters per Ecaf or Mystic3D suggestion.

Disconnect all the batts (Main Batt + 5V program card II Batt ).

Plug-in all the batts (Main Batt + 5V program card II Batt ) and Verify ESC programmed parameters
-Make sure all the LED display correctly for all the parameters that you have programmed.

Good luck :)

Ecaf 02-17-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heliddd (Post 3664029)
BTW, for some reasons if I used the Rx to power the Prog Card II with the supplied servo cable (running at 6V) -> I will have problem with programming the ESC. However, programming is fine if I used 5V batt supplied directly to the Prog Card II

The Prog Card II is designed to only work with 4.8V. Anything more and it may (probably) not work and could damage it.

Ecaf 02-17-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmarsden (Post 3663882)
Mine came with a connector with one wire connecting pins 1 and 3 that plugs into the ESC cable that would go to the prog card during programming. PM me your email if you want a picture.

I too would like to see this. I do not know of any connector for jumping the leads out of the ESC.

Could you post the pic here?

heliddd 02-17-2012 12:55 PM

Thanks Ecaf:) I did not know that Prog Card II running that low Voltage (the Manual only mentioned 5V) and I thought it would do 4.8V - 6V (just like standard servo).

Ecaf 02-17-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heliddd (Post 3664279)
Thanks Ecaf:) I did not know that Prog Card II running that low Voltage (the Manual only mentioned 5V) and I thought it would do 4.8V - 6V (just like standard servo).

Well, I stand corrected:

"the Prog Card operates on 4 to 6.5V - we do not recommend operation outside this range."

http://elektrorc.com/article_info.php?articles_id=5

Meh, just use a 5.2V pack and be done with it....

Ecaf 02-17-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmarsden (Post 3663882)

Just spoke to Pete, and he told me this:

"On some installations noise causes issues on the programming interface. Ground the signal on those (where you aren't using ext gov) and done"

Meaning ground the signal (yellow/white/etc) to the negative lead (brown/black/etc).

heliddd 02-17-2012 01:28 PM

"Meh, just use a 5.2V pack and be done with it...."

-Agreed :thumbup:

gmarsden 02-17-2012 05:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Photos of shorting plug attached

Chrisk7 02-17-2012 08:05 PM

Well I just tried the jumper wire, as well as shortening the three wires to the motor with new bullet connectors, reprogramming etc. still the same problem, Motor just growls and moves slowly like one of the phase's isn't working.

I've sent an email to the guy I bought it from on the other forum but haven't heard back from him yet.

I'm certain that this controller is bad now. I really don't know what else to do.

It lights up, beeps, and the throttle seems to work as far as starting to make the motor turn but it just won't spin up. I've even tried it on another heli with a different motor with the same results.:arggg:

I think I'll just order the Scorpion 130 hv and be done with it. I'm out quite a bit of cash on this one.