Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

Old 06-09-2009, 06:40 AM   #1
Guntars
Registered Users

Default Helicommand vs Copilot II

Hallo!
I am new to helicopters, but not to RC planes. I have ordered T-Rex 600 ESP for AP. Since I do not have experience in real flying (just Simulator) what do you suggest will be better? I had experience with FMA Copilot FS8 on my planes and it works great when there is good whether (temperature difference), but not in cloudy days.
How is Copilot II in cloudy days or just after rain?

I have additional questions:
- Is it correct that Helicommand in horizontal mode (letís say 300 ft in sky) without constant stick input will dive? (Of course it will drift, but two persons in forum mentioned that it will uncontrollably dive and crush).
- How is Helicommand internal gyro for tail? Is it good for just AP work? (no 3d of course).
Guntars is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
jrohland
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default What's you budget?

Since you said you are getting a T-Rex I assume you have a limited budget for this AP project. Otherwise the http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=114855 would be your better choice.

I can't speak to the HeliCommand but the CPII has a vertical sensor option which can continuously calibrate to the current conditions. It still cannot activate in heavy overcast. You can use the Preflight menu to check the temp difference.
jrohland is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
Guntars
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bugged is limited! So...I want to focus on Helicommand or FMA Copilot II. Well, I had some thoughts about Gyrobot 900 also, but perhaps in future.
Guntars is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
Mr Boombastic
Registered Users

I am using the Helicommand.

This is my limited experience with it but it will demonstrate my confidence in the product.

Only on the third flight of a FPV practise heli (Raptor 30) with the new Helicommand.

Between each flight I was able to tweak it a bit closer to what I wanted. So you must get the programming Cable and Software otherwise you won't realise its full potential.

The 2nd flight I had it stabilising back to level without being snappy and oscillating a bit after levelling. This what it was like out of the box hooked up to my particular heli.

On the 3rd flight I was hovering to maintain a fixed position at maybe 250 - 300 ft directly above me and tail into a strong 30 - 40 km/hr wind. The only problem which I will have fixed by the next flight is it was transitioning into Manual Flight Mode as my sticks were moving past the Stick Trigger point. (you can manually overide or have it happen when sticks reach a preset travel limit) This caused the heli to pitch suddenly and continue in manual flight backwards. I had the confidence to centre the sticks to regain a level flight attitude and then slowly pull the heli back into the wind to regain position. I was flying after sunset and I was at a height where I could only just orientate the heli visually. I wasn't flying FPV but had a helper viewing & recording the downlinked image.

To answer your question I would, and I have gone for the Helicommand. My reason is that I will be flying in conditions that would test the limitations of any Infrared system. eg. no horizon in sight. As with any system you buy you must know its limitations and fly, or choose not to fly, with these factors in mind.
Mr Boombastic is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
rockjock3
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I only have experience with the coPilot-II. It has absolutely no problems on cloudy days so far. If you have the vertical sensor it is even better. I have yet to register less than a 40 degree temp difference with it so far regardless of the weather. Full blown system with all sensors and computer cable costs ~$200.
rockjock3 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
nightflyr
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have both units running on my birds, both work well, they both have there own limitations,

IMO the CPII is well suited for learning to fly and gaining experience, the Helicommand is a more extreme unit, and well suited for its purpose, also will provide a stable platform for AP work if you so choose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
Navigator53
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Boombastic View Post
I am using the Helicommand.

This is my limited experience with it but it will demonstrate my confidence in the product.

Only on the third flight of a FPV practise heli (Raptor 30) with the new Helicommand.

Between each flight I was able to tweak it a bit closer to what I wanted. So you must get the programming Cable and Software otherwise you won't realise its full potential.

The 2nd flight I had it stabilising back to level without being snappy and oscillating a bit after levelling. This what it was like out of the box hooked up to my particular heli.

On the 3rd flight I was hovering to maintain a fixed position at maybe 250 - 300 ft directly above me and tail into a strong 30 - 40 km/hr wind. The only problem which I will have fixed by the next flight is it was transitioning into Manual Flight Mode as my sticks were moving past the Stick Trigger point. (you can manually overide or have it happen when sticks reach a preset travel limit) This caused the heli to pitch suddenly and continue in manual flight backwards. I had the confidence to centre the sticks to regain a level flight attitude and then slowly pull the heli back into the wind to regain position. I was flying after sunset and I was at a height where I could only just orientate the heli visually. I wasn't flying FPV but had a helper viewing & recording the downlinked image.

To answer your question I would, and I have gone for the Helicommand. My reason is that I will be flying in conditions that would test the limitations of any Infrared system. eg. no horizon in sight. As with any system you buy you must know its limitations and fly, or choose not to fly, with these factors in mind.

Mr Boom,

I also fly a Raptor 30 but thought it would have too much vibration for FPV or camera video?

Mel
Navigator53 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:33 AM   #8
Mr Boombastic
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator53 View Post
Mr Boom,

I also fly a Raptor 30 but thought it would have too much vibration for FPV or camera video?

Mel
Sorry. A bit off topic.

The Raptor 30 I am using is 'disposable'. It was built solely for the intended purpose of practising FPV. Better to waste a Rappy 30 than a Bergen fully fitted out.

My video, whilst low res through the 2.4G downlink (later the 5.8G will be substituted) and recorded on an older DVR camera, was fairly smooth, especially considering the weather conditions. The camera was also solid mounted under the front electronics tray. If it wasn't for the smoke trail going horizontal you may not have picked the high wind.

The only vibration problem I encountered was a low headspeed wobble on descent. I fiddled with the throttle curve DOH! I also chose to keep the woodies on to aid in stability. Attention was paid to balancing down to 1/100th of a gram. The headspeed was at the top end for wood blades though(1700-1800 Rpm). Needed this to get it off the ground with the rich break in needle settings and payload weight. I will be dialing it back a bit later.

Strap a camera to yours and see. Vibration usually comes down to attention to detail in assembly/balancing or can result from wear.

Damn fuel residue was the biggest hassle.
Mr Boombastic is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization