Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > E-Sky Helicopters > HBFP V1/V2

HBFP V1/V2 E-Sky Honey Bee V1 & V2 Fixed Pitch

Old 09-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Viet-Lama
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Add an external gyro

UPDATE: When I created this tutorial the HoneyBee V2 did not exist. Many have been successful with the V1 but I was not sure if the V2 4in1 would work the same. Well I have recently had two forum members report to me they were completely successful in hacking the HoneyBee V2 following this tutorial.

Countless searching reveled only 2 threads on adding an external gyro by hacking the 4in1. Both instructions were hard to understand and only one thread contained a photograph (just one photo). I am very grateful of their existence because without them this thread would not be possible. I took bits of each set of instructions and pieced them together giving me the mental picture of what they were trying to explain. Then I took my chances and completed the hack. I am going to include both solder and solderless instructions for those not handy with a soldering iron. I did a "hybrid hack" using both the solder and solderless method.

Unscrew the 4 tiny Philips head screws to dismantle the 4in1

This is what the 4in1 looks like without the plastic housing

Seperate your 4in1, see those 6 pins on the right, the 3 pins on the bottom row is what you are going to use (they are labeled R4 on the circuit board) SOLDER METHOD: De-soldered these 3 pins and then re-soldered them on the opposite side of the board
SOLDERLESS: Simply bend the 3 pins 90 degrees THATS IT!

SOLDERLESS: Skip this step
This is the 4in1 before I de-soldered it. See that blob of solder the arrow is pointing to. It connects the two "solder points", very important because it supplies power.
SOLDER METHOD: Keep note of this

SOLDER METHOD: Easiest way for me was to de-solder all 6 pins as they were all glued together within a plastic block. I then re-soldered the 3 top pins in their original location and soldered the other 3 pins to the opposite side of the board, here you see my finished work.

ALMOST FINISHED!
SOLDER METHOD:Here you see the 3 pins re-soldered on the opposite side of the board. Remember that solder blob, make it still exists or create one, otherwise your gyro will not receive power!
SOLDERLESS: Your 3 pins will be bent 90degrees to the right and you will have to cut a hole in the appropriate location of the plastic housing to allow the gyro plug to pass through

The TeleBee Micro Headlock Gyro is REALLY TINY!

BOTH METHODS: Snip a broken servos' wires or sacrifice a working servo. Snip the wires right at the servo, you will need every mm of wire length to reach the best location for gryo placement. Strip the ends to expose the wires.

SOLDER METHOD: Your servo wires will be soldered to the 3 points just above the red wire. Obviously expose less wire when soldering so nothing touches and shorts out

SOLDER METHOD: Skip this step
SOLDERLESS: Double up your exposed wire and twist it, then stick the wires into the bottom 3 socket holes

Heres my "Hybrid Hack" using both the solder and solderless methods

SOLDERLESS: You will cut a hole in the appropriate place of the 4in1 housing allowing your gyros plug to connect to the 3 pins you bent 90 degrees
SOLDER METHOD:Snip off the plastic on the 4in1 cover allowing access to the 3 pins you soldered

Reassemble your 4in1
SOLDERLESS: Dont worry about your servo wires coming loose, the wires are tightly locked between the circuit board and 4in1 housing.

YOU DID IT!
BOTH METHODS: Connect your servo wire into the gyro, then connect the gyros plug to your newly soldered/90 degree bent pins.
Now you just have to mount your equipment

The TeleBee micro gyro looks as great as it works!
BOTH MENTHODS: Heres the perfect mounting location. Use double sided sticky foam to dampen vibration. Also mount it slightly higher then the tail frame, you dont want to touch the frame and transfer vibration to it.
Bend the gyros servo plug 90 degrees otherwise your wires will be too short to mount in this location. It also looks much better then having the wires stick way out.

Added bonus with the TeleBee, the power light is the same cool blue as the LBA.

From the side you cant even see the tiny TeleBee.

How does it work? AWESOME! Blows away the internal 4in1 gyro!
The helicopter locks onto your direction of hover. Its "head holding" and if outside in wind will continue to apply thrust until the tail either returns to its original position or you decide to change the yaw, then this becomes the new "locked on" heading.
If hovering indoors I can hold a direction the entire duration of the lipo (average 10 minutes) and only have to touch the Yaw 2 or 3 times! AMAZING!
I am very impressed with this gyro for the money spent.

SETTINGS:
Factory ATV was set at 100% and I kept it there
Factory GAIN was set at 50% and I found 85% locked on without tail wag
Factory SERVO DS (digital) STD (standard) switch was in STD mode, when I switched to DS the gyro was wondering all over. I use digital servos but remember we are not plugging into a servo. When I switched back to STD the gyro again worked perfectly.

Heres a vid showing the TeleBee in action while in HH "Head Holding" or sometimes called "Head Lock" mode.

Hope this tutorial will allow you to enjoy your Fixed Pitch HoneyBees even more then ever!

Last edited by oliverdots; 05-02-2010 at 04:53 PM..
Viet-Lama is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
oliverdots
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have seen this before from VL and it's a fantastic thread. Will it work with the V2 4-1 does anyone know?
Said it before and will say it again, great work VL and thank you for taking the time to make it. Could we have another sticky in the making??

Cheers, OD.

If you make a mistake and learn from it, that's progress

2 x Nano heli's - now passed on to Megan, HoneyBee V1.....Awaiting test flight, T-Rex 250 V1, Hitec 5084MG tail servo, DX6i, Walkera 4#3A (it's in fairly good hands Bugster).
oliverdots is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Bugster
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I reckon that post has highly adhesive properties

Brilliant information as always VL

Bugster is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Viet-Lama
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks guys

I created my "mental picture" from those two descriptions which BOTH were created using a MHZ version 4in1. Thus, even though I used a GHZ version the MHZ version would work the same.
Will the V2 4in1 work? I dont know but if I end up buying one im going to find out
Old 09-14-2009, 01:56 AM   #5
dayshaddow
Registered Users

My HF Map location

great work there viet-lama this will be an exerlent sticky and a mod i will be trying in the future
i have a duff servo so im already half way there
1/8th Brushless LiPo Powered monster Truck and a maverick strada evo xt
dayshaddow is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:51 AM   #6
Stevespana
Registered Users

Fantastic VL !!!

Can I do this mod with a 3 in 1? In other words, are all the pins, etc in the same place?

Steve.
Stevespana is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
jeremiahhrly
Registered Users

Default It work great for the HBFPV2

It work well on the HBFPV2 also.The head stayed lock.
jeremiahhrly is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:45 AM   #8
BentRotor
Registered Users

????/ Jeremy????

So u have gotten the EK2-0704B to work on a HBFP v2 ????/

Pls explain all the details
Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
facefirst
Registered Users

Thanks to this thread I have now got a Turnigy 302 external gyro working on my HB FPV2.

Thankyou very much to all who posted with this great information.

I did the CP 3 in 1 mod first which basically replaces the standard 3 in 1 that exists in the Bee's 4 in 1 plastic box. I used the no-solder method, so its literally just plugging wires in and cutting a bit of the plastic housing for clearance. I added the 370 Super motor at the same time, which is soooooo much better than the stock motor - can easily hover and it only gets warm in comparison to the red hot stock HB motor.

By the way, regarding initialisation of the external gyro, with this setup it is working 95% of the time. Occasionally the gyro doesnt initialise, so I just disconnect the battery and try again - didnt bother putting a switch in place.
facefirst is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
Danmickread
Registered Users

Does anyone know if the Walkera WK-G006 would work with this mod?

Thanks

Dan
Danmickread is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
Danmickread
Registered Users

I tried the hack with this gyro but could not get it to work. The gyro had power and initialized but could not get the tail motor to move from moving the rudder stick or gyro. So I plugged in a servo to the gyro and I was getting movement so for some reason the gyro and esc in the 4in1 don't like each other. Any thoughts?

What is another way to fit a separate gyro I like the idea of heading hold to help control the heli as I'm learning.

Regards

Dan
Danmickread is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
HELIHANKSTER
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmickread View Post
Does anyone know if the Walkera WK-G006 would work with this mod?

Thanks

Dan
Don’t know about the Walkera gyro, but the Turnigy 302 is probably the best choice for the Bee. Easy to setup, plays nice with the 4in1 and works really well.

Here’s a video I shot today showing the Turnigy gyro in action.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HELIHANKSTER is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > E-Sky Helicopters > HBFP V1/V2

HBFP V1/V2 E-Sky Honey Bee V1 & V2 Fixed Pitch