Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
halley
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default new 250 FPV equipment works!

I tried setting up this 900MHz FPV gear to my 250 previously, but the thing flew like such a cow with the extra weight that I couldn't bring myself to "let free" with it and fly dedicated to the video viewer. My video viewer was a 7" LCD screen too, which really is hard to see clearly on a sunny day.

So I rewired the video equipment a little differently, and took it out for a maiden flight today.

The camera tucks snugly inside the canopy, the flight battery feeds camera and transmitter, and I made a custom 11 gram 900MHz dipole antenna that mounts near my tail and out-performs both pro duck antennae that I originally bought. I also used a pair of cheap Myvu Crystal goggles and that worked a lot better for staying dedicated to the video. I did suffer some video noise, but not enough to bother my flight at all on all three missions I tried today.

The first flight was wild and the onlookers were all yelling out as I nearly crashed several times. The second and third were leaps and bounds of improvement, getting the hang of forward flight to stay more stable and not bob around so badly. I had hard and bouncy landings because I couldn't bring myself to stop looking at the video screens. After more practice, I might be better able to control gentle little landings.

Next time, I'll record the video (and add some shielding to the video lines).
halley is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
halley
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

A look at the canopy mounting job. It's an SN777 I got at HobbyWireless.

I'll get some more photos and details on the 11 gram 900 MHz dipole soon.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
t-rexn8
Registered Users

Awesome!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
tonkajeep34
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's pretty cool. did you have a chance to record any of it?
tonkajeep34 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
acidkindred
Registered Users

Are you using an extra battery for the electronics? Flight times?
acidkindred is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
halley
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkajeep34 View Post
That's pretty cool. did you have a chance to record any of it?
I have a Pinnacle Video Transfer, which records video to a USB thumb drive. Unfortunately, either it or my only thumb drive seems to have gone haywire, and I'm waiting for my replacement drive to come in the mail to check this out. As it is, I don't recommend running the Pinnacle directly from a LiPo, until I know for sure what caused the problem.

I will post more details on the home-made antenna, and videos, when I've gotten more tests in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkindred View Post
Are you using an extra battery for the electronics? Flight times?
To minimize weight, I am drawing power from the flight pack itself. I have kept my flight times fairly short while I'm learning, but I could go for 5 minutes loaded, matching the final voltage after I fly unloaded for 6 minutes. The motor and servo noise is a factor in the quality of the video, but for my limited training purposes, it's quite usable.

This is all plenty of time to get around the field, or get a high look of the land. Landing the 250 with goggles is NOT recommended... it's very hard to descend smoothly enough with the poor visual cues. It has been fairly easy to fly in front of me, turn to where I'll be tail in, tilt my head back, then look under the goggles to land. Also, be sure the tail gyro is happy before taking off... a FPV pirouette is harrowing.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
acidkindred
Registered Users

Cool stuff. Let us know how things go. I'm interested in doing this as well. I'm hesitant in doing this with a bigger heli for saftey reasons. I imagine that learning to fly FPV will take awhile but I bet you will get pretty good at it with practice.
acidkindred is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
halley
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just note that the SN555 case is too large for this position. The SN777 case is very snug in the nose with the stock Align 850mAh battery pinning it into position. I even notched the canopy holes back a little, to reduce the strain on the canopy pins. I will document all this with more photos soon.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.