Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G6 / V120 Series

4G6 / V120 Series Walkera 4G6 / V120 Series Helicopter Support

Old 02-20-2010, 06:47 AM   #1
timewerx
Registered Users

Default DIY: 4G6 Crash Proofing and Performance Enhancing mods! Updated 27July2010

Details and links to the mods are below the disclaimer.

Please read this, very important:

Disclaimer:

I will not be held responsible for any injuries, damage to your heli, voiding warranties, property damage, and casualties inflicted by this mod for any reason including the following:

-Improper replication of the mods i.e. did not use recommended material, did not precisely follow measurements.
-Not assuming an attitude of safety in proceeding with test flights after applying my mods. All the mods below may affect the handling of the 4G6 to such extent you may need to revisit both your mechanical and electronic setups.
-Using other motors than specified. These mods has only been tested with the stock motor (both KV11000 and KV10000 versions) and with HP08-2 1S up to 20T pinion using stock Walkera ESC. The mods has not been tested yet with high performance motors such as HP08 2S which will produce higher RPM and higher risk of rotor components, including the mods, flying a apart at max rpm.
-Using defective stock parts. Make sure your stock 4G6 has been fully flight tested in full stock configuration to ensure everything is working.
-Using defective materials. Ensure that all materials you use, including glue had the highest quality for these mods
-Do not apply my mods to helicopters other than the 4G6 (or maybe the Novus CP125 too)!!
-The experimental and DIY nature of these mods mean this is not by any means professional work! Just by doing these mods, you are accepting the risks in the pursuit of making your 4G6 a better product. Even if you did everything by the letter, there are still chances of failure although very small, but it's still there! Proceed at your own risk, you have been warned!!

The following mods will make the stock 4G6 the only fully crash-survivable CCPM helicopter model in the world yet, while also improving the performance at the same time!!

Please click the following pictures to take you to the step-by-step instructions, thank you!

Compatible with: 4G6(S), V120D02, and 4G3

Compatible with: 4G6(S), V120DO2, and 4G3

Compatible with: 4G6(S) and 4G3

Compatible with: 4G6 and 4G3

Compatible with: 4G6

Compatible with: 4G6(S) and V120DO2

Indoor Cyclic and Collective test with all the mods applied

Thanks to all Helifreak members who gave useful feedback in refining my mods, and those who
donated to keep me flying! You know who you are!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TowPilot; 07-26-2010 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: Updated for timewerx by TowPilot
timewerx is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
dizzymarkus
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Would it be easier to make the mods to the tail drive shaft end instead?

Markus
dizzymarkus is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
timewerx
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymarkus View Post
Would it be easier to make the mods to the tail drive shaft end instead?

Markus
I've already thought of that, it won't.

If you pull the tail drive shaft, and most likely, you will if you try to remove the tail end bevel. You will have to remove the landing skid and main gear in order to replace it to the front tail gear. Conversely, you'll have to do the same if you apply the mod to the front tail gear.

Also, the carbon shaft wears much faster than the metal tail shaft. You'll find re-tightening the gear much sooner than if you've done it on the metal tail shaft.

Maintaining the tail shaft bevel, you never need to remove landing skids and main gear unless you accidentally pull the shaft bevel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
dizzymarkus
Registered Users

My HF Map location

cool ty for the info -- I was "thinking" with you lol

Markus
dizzymarkus is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
timewerx
Registered Users

Lol! Yea, it's a puzzle really.

I think with a little more sophistication, you can turn these into very reliable system designed to hold itself up in the inevitable without the weight penalty.

Hopefully, I could adapt these mods to bigger sizes as well. But I got nothing such atm.

P.S. I think I did it at the right time!, my LHS ran out of stock of the tail gear set and this is my last good one!

Old 02-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Steve Joblin
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Your ingenuity is amazing!!! Great stuff! You do an incredible job documenting and describing your great ideas! Keep it up! Please... Keep it up!!!!!!
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:25 AM   #7
yellowpecora
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewerx View Post
LotR, hmmm...
'Land of T Rex' ??!

Lord of the Rings, that's because most of the filiming for the movie
was done in NZ... But probably your guess is just as good ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Walkera CB100 - 4G6S - WK2801Pro
yellowpecora is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:21 AM   #8
timewerx
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor 22 View Post
Stay away from the clone 250's BAD business!!
THanks! Will keep that in mind, super combo's got some good prices anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpecora View Post
Lord of the Rings, that's because most of the filiming for the movie
was done in NZ... But probably your guess is just as good ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The part of NZ I live doesn't look much like LOTR land, looks more like Georgia, USA (even the music people listen to..), in a good way that I really like

My hobby atm is tinkering with my car(used), never actually tinkered with a car before and it also happens to be the first car I ever owned. There's just few things that needs to be fixed like brakes, oil change, etc and cost of labor here is simply something I'd rather bother doing some time doing research and learning some basic car maintenance/repair. It's turning out to be fun and I get shaped up at the same time, tightening and carrying stuff

Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
Jeff_Barrett
Registered Users

Yup ... owning a car is much like owning a heli, hey??

Jeff_Barrett is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:06 AM   #10
timewerx
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Canuck View Post
Yup ... owning a car is much like owning a heli, hey??
In many respects, my car is like the 4G6 except the quality. One of the smallest around, size is between Chevy Aveo and Leyland Mini, sensitive to wind gusts, sensitive to road conditions even if it's in very good running condition, and a little underpowered.

I remember when I am bored, I would take my 4G6 for a spin. Now, when I'm bored, I'd take my car for a short spin in rural roads, good thing the car gets 35 mpg!

Old 12-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
Jeff_Barrett
Registered Users

LMAO! Hope you get a heli back in your hands sometime soon... if not for your own safety, then for the safety of others... LOL!

Jeff_Barrett is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
Jskrapper
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
In many respects, my car is like the 4G6 except the quality. One of the smallest around, size is between Chevy Aveo and Leyland Mini, sensitive to wind gusts, sensitive to road conditions even if it's in very good running condition, and a little underpowered.

I remember when I am bored, I would take my 4G6 for a spin. Now, when I'm bored, I'd take my car for a short spin in rural roads, good thing the car gets 35 mpg!

Nice! Congrats on the first car. If you have any questions on repair or maintenance, ask me! I am an auto guy by trade!
Jskrapper is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
lazor 22
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Did you copy the Synergy N5 canopy Timewerx?
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #14
hiwattheli
Registered Users

Default I thought you might remember

Hello Mark.
I've been barely able to find time to fly nowdays. but tonight I remembered your vid of the 4G6 w/mods. I watched it "like a fireplace in the family room". There are few heli vids that compare to this.

Have a great day! John

Quote:
Details and links to the mods are below the disclaimer.

Please read this, very important:

Disclaimer:

I will not be held responsible for any injuries, damage to your heli, voiding warranties, property damage, and casualties inflicted by this mod for any reason including the following:

-Improper replication of the mods i.e. did not use recommended material, did not precisely follow measurements.
-Not assuming an attitude of safety in proceeding with test flights after applying my mods. All the mods below may affect the handling of the 4G6 to such extent you may need to revisit both your mechanical and electronic setups.
-Using other motors than specified. These mods has only been tested with the stock motor (both KV11000 and KV10000 versions) and with HP08-2 1S up to 20T pinion using stock Walkera ESC. The mods has not been tested yet with high performance motors such as HP08 2S which will produce higher RPM and higher risk of rotor components, including the mods, flying a apart at max rpm.
-Using defective stock parts. Make sure your stock 4G6 has been fully flight tested in full stock configuration to ensure everything is working.
-Using defective materials. Ensure that all materials you use, including glue had the highest quality for these mods
-Do not apply my mods to helicopters other than the 4G6 (or maybe the Novus CP125 too)!!
-The experimental and DIY nature of these mods mean this is not by any means professional work! Just by doing these mods, you are accepting the risks in the pursuit of making your 4G6 a better product. Even if you did everything by the letter, there are still chances of failure although very small, but it's still there! Proceed at your own risk, you have been warned!!

The following mods will make the stock 4G6 the only fully crash-survivable CCPM helicopter model in the world yet, while also improving the performance at the same time!!

Please click the following pictures to take you to the step-by-step instructions, thank you!

Compatible with: 4G6(S), V120D02, and 4G3

Compatible with: 4G6(S) and 4G3

Compatible with: 4G6 and 4G3

Compatible with: 4G6

Indoor Cyclic and Collective test with all the mods applied

Thanks to all Helifreak members who gave useful feedback in refining my mods, and those who
donated to keep me flying! You know who you are!
hiwattheli is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #15
timewerx
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwattheli View Post
Hello Mark.
I've been barely able to find time to fly nowdays. but tonight I remembered your vid of the 4G6 w/mods. I watched it "like a fireplace in the family room". There are few heli vids that compare to this.

Have a great day! John
I'm really flattered, thanks m8! Wasn't expecting this, and wasn't checking the forum either. I don't think I deserved that, maybe the mods but not my flying!

Once I get my residency here in NZ sorted out then I'm back to this hobby pronto, I missed it terribly. Will buy a new 4G6, get the latest and lightest motor and 400mAh Lipos for it(missed the smell of a new heli!). I see there are lots of new guys here.

Good luck to all and have a great day to you as well!

Old 10-31-2011, 04:12 AM   #16
cyberquest_11
Registered Users

good work on this, it ignites my interest in micro heli. been tweaking and setting up my 450 and 250 and figured i might also try this 4g6/v120 mods
cyberquest_11 is offline        Reply With Quote

Tags
4g6 peformance mods, crash proof, diy modding, timewerx, walkera 4g6

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G6 / V120 Series

4G6 / V120 Series Walkera 4G6 / V120 Series Helicopter Support