Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters > 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters

500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
SPARKY426
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default EFL Canopy

I am having a bit of trouble putting on the new canopy, the one on my ESP seems sooooo much easier to deal with. Has anyone tried eliminating the lower canopy mounts and just putting screws into the brace and covering the canopy holes with stickers ? Will it work like the ESP with just the top mounts ? Also, was thinking of maybe putting standoffs there as well.

Any ideas ???

Thanks, Chris
SPARKY426 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
BigEddie
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 500 FBL Pro Canopy

I looked at mine during assembly and found a couple of minor fixes.

First i cut the bottom edge by about 1/8- 3/16 inch to just allow it to clear the landing bottom.
Then I put the canopy on the heli in position with all the rubber gromets in place and took a heat gun to relieve any stress contours in the canopy.
This made it infinitely eaiser fit to the point I was able to put a 3300 mah battery on without having to change or lower the mount and still attach all 4 points.

See if that works for you!

Ed

i looked at mine during set-up and found a couple of minor fixes
BigEddie is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Maypole
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEddie View Post
I looked at mine during assembly and found a couple of minor fixes.

First i cut the bottom edge by about 1/8- 3/16 inch to just allow it to clear the landing bottom.
Then I put the canopy on the heli in position with all the rubber gromets in place and took a heat gun to relieve any stress contours in the canopy.
This made it infinitely eaiser fit to the point I was able to put a 3300 mah battery on without having to change or lower the mount and still attach all 4 points.

See if that works for you!

Ed

i looked at mine during set-up and found a couple of minor fixes
I did the same thing using my wife's hair dryer. Works great!
Phoenix Sim, DX8, Gibson Les Paul, AMA #987871
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson
Maypole is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Colorado_Scott
Registered Users

Default A small variation in mounting..

This is my 1st TREX heli - the 500EFL.. a nice machine for sure. The canopy is giving me fits too. I had the one that came with this kit replaced by Align as it was cracked. My issue was I've seen the lowering of the tray pictures, but my SKY 3300's would not work like that as they don't fit between the sides. So, using the extra parts bag I got with the kit, I used the small screws (one shown just below the canopy attach post) to replace the original anchor points / canopy attach points, this screws into that body spacer. (exactly the same on the other side). I then found if I could raise the canopy about 1/4" - 1/2" the 3300 will fit fine w/o any tray adjustment. I raised up the canopy mount as shown by about 3/8" (into that little slot in the fuselage) and it works fine. I tried magnets, did not like this for backward flight - too much air getting into the canopy. I tried Velcro, which was "ok" and may play with this more later, but for security, the 4 post mounting system is a good way to go. This is easier for me to attach like this - not sure why - but it's OK.

Below are pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	278422   Click image for larger version

Name:	c2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	278423   Click image for larger version

Name:	c3.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	278424  
Old 01-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
tomd27858
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Scott View Post
This is my 1st TREX heli - the 500EFL.. a nice machine for sure. The canopy is giving me fits too. I had the one that came with this kit replaced by Align as it was cracked. My issue was I've seen the lowering of the tray pictures, but my SKY 3300's would not work like that as they don't fit between the sides. So, using the extra parts bag I got with the kit, I used the small screws (one shown just below the canopy attach post) to replace the original anchor points / canopy attach points, this screws into that body spacer. (exactly the same on the other side). I then found if I could raise the canopy about 1/4" - 1/2" the 3300 will fit fine w/o any tray adjustment. I raised up the canopy mount as shown by about 3/8" (into that little slot in the fuselage) and it works fine. I tried magnets, did not like this for backward flight - too much air getting into the canopy. I tried Velcro, which was "ok" and may play with this more later, but for security, the 4 post mounting system is a good way to go. This is easier for me to attach like this - not sure why - but it's OK.

Below are pictures.

Nice trick for those running larger batteries.

I did as others above.....put the canopy on and stole the wife's hair drier. The heat from the hair drier allowed the canopy to settle in the shape that the canopy pins wanted to hold it at. I am using 2700 mah batteries.
tomd27858 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Andy from Sandy
Registered Users

I am not certain if this is a problem on your models but the rubber stand-offs are too long and I can see they are being distorted. I cut about 1/8 inch off each one and that has made fitting the canopy alot easier.
Andy from Sandy is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters > 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters

500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.