Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Heads and Rotor Blades

Heads and Rotor Blades Heads and Rotor Blades Discussion

Old 04-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Capt. Speirs
Registered Users

Default Before I take the 5 Bladed plunge!

Before I take the complete 5 bladed money pit plunge, I need a little (a lot of) guidance.

This is what I have at this point;
  • Blade 400
  • Helliartist MD500E Fuse
  • 2 HS65MG
  • S9257
  • GY401
  • Align 35A ESC
  • HK 5 Bladed head assembly
I am looking at the SK 720 for eStab (to replace the GY401) and Scorpion 2221-10 or 8 at this point. Where I am lacking knowledge is on how to make all this work. What blades do I need, what tail rotor assembly (assuming 2 blades are not enough), Phasing, Pinion Gear, motor, etc.
Capt. Speirs is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
Capt. Speirs
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wow, almost a hundred views and not one reply. Does anyone know of a member here that I can PM the question to?
Old 04-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
satsuma
Registered Users

Yep, 100 folks have looked and none know, this happens, i'm sure someone will look who can answer you soon.

Sats
satsuma is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
bladerunner469
Registered Users

Here's a Blade400 i have EXI 9 gram servos on cyclics TowerPro on the tail with a Futuba 240gyro and 2750KV motor with a 13tooth pinion and a 40 AMP ESC from HobbyPartz http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dym-0011.html I also have KDBB on the tail 61MM Here's a VDO
I know its just a four bladed head but it kinda give's you an idea the Blades are from Aerodyne and they are the weighted ones and i don't have any E-Stabiz on it Oh yeah the head came from HK
bladerunner469 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
krumrick2
Registered Users

Hi Captain,

Well...will try to help.

I mounted several 450'swith five blades head, will recommend what parts I found the best:

Motor....Turnigy 2200 KVs
Speed...Turnigy Plush 60 Amp. ( this support 4cells)
Battery..Turnigy 2200maH 4S ( 14,8 volts)
pinion ...13 teets
Blades...Heli Artist Scale Blades ( set of five, narrow profile...VERY NICE ONES )
FBL......I just used Align 3G ( there is plenty of nice options..is with you here $$$)

Now...the tail question...I strongly recommend to use the stock mechanic tail.... BUT with bigger blades...the 500's size blades are a good option, out of scale but the only way to have tail authority !.

The motor with low KV give you lot of torque in low Head Speed, with the bigger blades and a good setup in the FBL the heli fly nice and predictable in any condition.

hope this help !
Manuel.
krumrick2 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
22charlie
Registered Users

Hey Capt Speirs here is what I run on two birds. Both Align, a 500E and a 500D running 450S and 450 SE mechs.

Both have CopterX 5 blade heads which I find great value, just replace the crap SS bolts with hi-test stuff if you use these. I use Scorpion 2221-12 motors and Turnigy 60A esc's, with 4s 2200's and 9, yes nine tooth pinions. Just as a percaution I replaced the flat plate heat sink on the esc's with bigger finned jobs. I used Arctic Silver thermal epoxy to attatch the sinks. I use Hi-Tec 65MG's on cyclic and 5084MG's on tail with Futaba 401's.

I do not run e-stab and find they fly pretty good at my level of flying skill.

However tail authority can be an issue. I have found that the stock tail blades from a Thunder Tiger E325 Mini Titan are wider in chord and about 3mm longer. They are also a paddle shape rather than a batwing shape. These seem to work a treat on my set up. I only get a slight yaw with a big pitch pump but I live with it.

I use semi scale tip weighted narrow chord flexible blades. I purchased these blades from Century RC in Hong Kong.

I find this set up to be a good compromise on these two helis. I just fiddled with the head speeds 'till the tails had some traction. The motors spin freely and I get about seven odd minutes flying and all is cool. In fact the rigs fly cooler than when I was using -8 Scorps on 3s with two blades....! These two ships have been very reliable units and get a fair bit of air time, what else can I say.

Sure the things are a tad squirrely when the wind is gusty but I love a challenge

I hope this info helps you make a decision. These birds are good fun IMO and with the multi blades I get lots of onlookers having a closer look and lots of questions..He He..!.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer! HDX450SE/Schwietzer canopy; Trex450S/500E;Trex450SE/500D; Sceadu EVO50/Marvel A119; TRex600E/FunKey500D; MiniTitan/Cobra; 2x HK450 beaters; 2x HK500/Bo105's.
22charlie is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
Capt. Speirs
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok, just ordered a Scorpion 2221-12 and a Phoenix ICE 50amp ESC. I am going to use Align's 550 tail rotor blades. I will, for the time, stick with my GY401 and use rigid weighted blades. As for the pinion gear, not sure yet and as far as setting up the head I haven't enough info yet to make a decision on setting up the phasing and angles.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
BlackTitanium
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Speirs View Post
Ok, just ordered a Scorpion 2221-12 and a Phoenix ICE 50amp ESC. I am going to use Align's 550 tail rotor blades. I will, for the time, stick with my GY401 and use rigid weighted blades. As for the pinion gear, not sure yet and as far as setting up the head I haven't enough info yet to make a decision on setting up the phasing and angles.
"Rigid weighted blades" = you need to use a floating rotor head to fly without e-stab
Flexible weighted blades + Rigid head = possible to fly with no e-stab

Do not use weighted blades for E-stab.
Do not use floating head with E-stab.

Rigid blades + Rigid head = need to use e-stab
Non-weighted flexible blades + Rigid head = need to use e-stab

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BlackTitanium is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Heads and Rotor Blades

Heads and Rotor Blades Heads and Rotor Blades Discussion