Default 3.10 is here

* * * * Please read Arts comment below if you have the LCD terminal * * * *
Here:
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=405130

And Here:
http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.ph...15&postcount=3

http://www.skookumrobotics.com/downl...ler_Rev310.zip
Get it while it's hot!
Including Re-level accelerometer function.

Last edited by Cascade; 04-13-2012 at 03:28 AM..
Cascade is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Skookum
Registered Users

Default 3.10 Details

Details of the 3.10 Update:
* Allows for 2x faster bail out self-level
* The high-vibration warning is only enabled if self-leveling is active on at least one bank
* Users can re-level the accelerometer themselves (The center-point can drift over the long term. This feature is meant to be used rarely).
* Quad copter mode (See wiki)
* JR DMSS mode (requires simple adapter cable, see wiki)
* Better vibration filter on the tail
* Option to disable the governor while in tail bank 2, for nitro engine tuning.
* Improved PPM receiver signal capture
* RPM capture enabled in PPM receiver mode
* Accelerometer is more static-electricity resistant
* Fixed a bug in Graupner mode channel mapping
* Fixed a bug in fail-safes for the aux servo outputs
* Several minor bug fixes

Changes to the Setup Software, rev 3.10:
* Supports the SK540
* Support for upgrades as described above

Changes to the LCD Firmware, rev 3.10:
* Supports the SK540
* Support for upgrades as described above
* Several bug fixes

Changes to the Data Viewer, rev 3.10:
* Fixed bug that prevented some users from registering without help

Last edited by Skookum; 04-11-2012 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: Formatting
Skookum is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Skookum
Registered Users

Default LCD Update

We are experiencing an issue with updating LCDs. This is an issue with the GUI, and not the LCD. On some computers, the GUI is displaying a false "Update Failed" message during the LCD update.

The update will work properly if you leave the LCD connected to the SK720, and do not disturb the SK720 until the LED has finished flashing Red/Green. This takes about two minutes.

The issue with the false error messages will be repaired ASAP.
Skookum is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Luvmyhelis
Registered Users

I can tell you guys this. The 3.10 software rules! I have been flying with it for a while and the ability to re level your accellerometers is awesome. Oddly even though I have mine setup in bank2 with 200% SL I never needed it. So I cannot comment on that.

One thing I quickly discovered is that you actually need to level your SK720 when it is mounted on your vibe absorbing tape. I tried it in multiple configs and found out not a single tape layer setup left it perfectly level. So if you want to level it so that it is square with your heli, you have to have a properly squared frame first if it is top mounted. And then without skids mount the frame bottom onto a perfectly levelled flat surface. In my case both my Sk720s are mounted inside the heli on the aluminum Kde bases. So I tore the bases off the heli, ran a bubble level across the Sk720, and spent a long time getting them perfectly level while already mounted on the vibe layer and frame.

I used an expensive camera tripod with the assembly mounted on top of its flat camera mounting area. After this both my helis hovered hands free while in SL mode. The difference was amazing. Notice how long ago I did this. Snow! And lots of it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06221.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	306997   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06219.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	306998  
Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 AM   #5
thefrog
Registered Users

Just to clarify - I downloaded and installed the software this morning. I didn't get an option to update the controller's firmware, so I assume it's only the GUI that's updated?
thefrog is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #6
mikeharris
Registered Users

I had to go to Utility/Check for updates...

Updated OK but every time I connect I get;

This gyro does not appear to be initializing properly. Please contact tech@skookumdotcom.

Any ideas?
mikeharris is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
Groucho_
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
We are experiencing an issue with updating LCDs. This is an issue with the GUI, and not the LCD. On some computers, the GUI is displaying a false "Update Failed" message during the LCD update.
This is actually just a minor annoyance.

There is no 'real' problem.

Essentially:

1 - Update as normal,

2 - Click 'OK' when the false 'update failed' message appears.

3 - Pretend that it said something on the lines of 'Press OK, wait for two minutes, and do not disturb the SK-720 or the LCD terminal'

That's it - Your LCD terminal will be updated to ver 3.10...
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
wattmotor

One of the features in 3.10

"Users can re-level the accelerometer themselves (The center-point can drift over the long term. This feature is meant to be used rarely)"

What does it mean ?
How do users re-level the accelerometer?
Will it be possible to re-level the accelerometer during flying?

Thanks
wattmotor is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:32 AM   #9
Groucho_
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattmotor View Post
When you select that option, the wizard will walk you through the process.

Essentially you'll be required to have the unit on a perfectly level surface while connected to your PC while doing this.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #10
RC Mike
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattmotor View Post
One of the features in 3.10

"Users can re-level the accelerometer themselves (The center-point can drift over the long term. This feature is meant to be used rarely)"

What does it mean ?
Will it be possible to re-level the accelerometer during flying?

Thanks
You will need to use a carpenter’s lever to make sure that the SK720 is perfectly level in all axes before you do that. If you are not very careful you could end up with a worse cal than you have before. Looks to me like it would be a lot easier to get it perfectly level with the SK720 removed from the helicopter.

RC Mike is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:48 AM   #11
thefrog
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Mike View Post
You will need to use a carpenter’s lever to make sure that the SK720 is perfectly level in all axes before you do that. If you are not very careful you could end up with a worse cal than you have before. Looks to me like it would be a lot easier to get it perfectly level with the SK720 removed from the helicopter.
My concern is how close to zero the unit needs to be to get a decent result. Remember even the usb cable will exert pressure on the unit and may move it from zero once plugged in. So do we need to set up a flat surface, place the controller and add something heavy (ish) on top of it to maintain it at level?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #12
SimStream
Registered Users

if you read the wizard it says to hold down the unit onto the level surface whilst performing the recalibration, this i would presume was with no foam attached.
SimStream is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
Groucho_
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrog View Post
My concern is how close to zero the unit needs to be to get a decent result. Remember even the usb cable will exert pressure on the unit and may move it from zero once plugged in. So do we need to set up a flat surface, place the controller and add something heavy (ish) on top of it to maintain it at level?
Use a clamp on the unit. Not one of those super-strength metal ones though...
Old 04-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #14
Luvmyhelis
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho_ View Post
Use a clamp on the unit. Not one of those super-strength metal ones though...
No guys, absolutely do not clamp the unit. It will distort the vibe padding.
I will get to this in a second. Use a small light accurate bubble level. I did mine with an expensive camera stand. I inside mount mine so I pulled the lower KDE body plate with my Sk720 mounted on its vibe layer. This way the SK will be in its normal enviornment. No padding out there sits perfectly flat. So if you level the SK by itself it is oftentimes wrong as the vibe layer and other outside influences will cause it to be off at some angle or another. Do this with the usb chord installed into the SK already so you don't upset it when you have to plug it in later.

Just tape or clip the lead to the stand in a neutral weight position so it doesn't drag the SK off angle.

Next, I sticky taped the whole Kde plate down to the camera mount. Then levelled it with the carpenters level in every axis. Also make sure the floor underneath this setup is solid. In one case I noticed the level change as I walked across the room. Not good. Then for you guys with laptops, when it is all levelled with its natural vibe layers intact. Hit the SL save and it is done. Again, remember to clip your usb chord down onto something so it leaves the SK720 neutral. Do this, then relevel if necessary.

Hands free hovering!!! I did both mine this way months ago, (sorry, I had the beta test program) and it works perfectly.

If you have top mount gyros, pull off the part it is adhered to and do it. Leave the vibe layers intact! Again, I haven't met one yet that is perfectly level. So if you level your Sk separately, the mounting itself will effect it in one way or another. Art wants us to separately level the SK. I found it isn't realistic.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
SimStream
Registered Users

Ive got another idea. Lets calibrate the SK with the heli lying on its side, then we can practice hurricanes with ease. ;-)
Old 04-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
georgi UK
Registered Users

=] cool!!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #17
rdarby777
Registered Users

I got my heli on a level surface. My level surface was an inch and a half plate glass table. Made sure the bird was level on the table and recalibrated the 720 while it was mounted in place. Outcome was near perfect sl hover...it drifts ever so slightly backwards.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #18
Cascade
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

If you're using recal in the heli without a perfect CG the SK won't be able to compensate which could be why you're getting the backward drift.
I can't recalibrate in my airframe, the rear skids are 8mm higher at the back which will give the SK a false reference point which could lead to any number of unforeseen issues as well as mask others.

The mainshaft is supposed to be absolutely vertical, the blades at zero pitch are supposed to be absolutely horizontal which is why the recalibration is supposed to occur as level as possible.

Nothing beats a well setup heli.

Edit, Don't do this..... If you're going to calibrate the unit in the heli, attach a string to the head button, hang it from a ceiling then try it.
Cascade is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:56 AM   #19
SimStream
Registered Users

I did mine by taking off the head. Using a digital pitch guage (calibrated on known level) and checking for zero all the way around the mast. Propping up the skids where necessary.
I dont believe you can get a better way.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #20
thefrog
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimStream View Post
I did mine by taking off the head. Using a digital pitch guage (calibrated on known level) and checking for zero all the way around the mast. Propping up the skids where necessary.
I dont believe you can get a better way.
But zero doesn't mean stable hover - the swash would be a bit off centre to give you a hands off hover. I think that's what bugs me about it - what's better: hands off hover with swash compensating for drift or level swash with drift?

So off topic now guys.. 3.10 is great.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar