START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters

Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects

Old 05-03-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
HornDog
Registered Users

Default Hacker motor for scale applications

Well, here I go again! I am looking at the possibility of using a Hacker motor for my AH-1S Cobra (Trex 600 Mechanics) and so far I can't quite understand the tech specs of their motors to determine if it would work for me. Given that I plan to run a 12S setup, has anyone else in the scale community run Hacker motors in a 600 setup (or 700) and what might be the pros and cons?
HornDog is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
JoseReyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornDog View Post
Well, here I go again! I am looking at the possibility of using a Hacker motor for my AH-1S Cobra (Trex 600 Mechanics) and so far I can't quite understand the tech specs of their motors to determine if it would work for me. Given that I plan to run a 12S setup, has anyone else in the scale community run Hacker motors in a 600 setup (or 700) and what might be the pros and cons?
What's the price difference between the Hacker and the Hyperion motors... I'm using the HS4035-500 14T - 15T 12S setup pinion for 1400 -1500 head speed and these motors are awesome at a price of 169.95 at RC Aerodyne. I'm not familiar with Hacker but Hyperion is made in cooperation with Scorpion, so it the same motor as a Scorpion with Hyperion name on it..

I have 5 Hyperion motors on my scale helis and none of them have failed yet.. just saying
JoseReyes is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
HornDog
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I was looking at the Scorpion line but the one thing that kinda gave me pause was the whole lubing bearings every 5 flights.... I hear they are very powerful and reliable but there are plenty of helis running other motors that last just as long that don't need that much maintenance. For a scale application (especially in THIS narrow fuse) it would be a nightmare getting it in and out just to lube bearings and check the motor. And due to the weight involved, I was even considering a 700 sized motor... I have a ICE 120HV and plan to run 12S though so I am searching for a very efficient yet powerful motor... I shouldn't need more than 2000RPM on a 2-blade head flying non 3-D but it's good to know the power is there should you need it!
HornDog is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
Andy01
Registered Users

Consider an Xera motor - very well built, no oiling required and seem very efficient. I run one in my Vario Long Ranger, and have just fitted (but not yet flown) one in my 4 blade 600 - both are 4030/3Y - 470kV.

A bit more costly than a Scorpion, but no worries with oiling.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
JoseReyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Consider an Xera motor - very well built, no oiling required and seem very efficient. I run one in my Vario Long Ranger, and have just fitted (but not yet flown) one in my 4 blade 600 - both are 4030/3Y - 470kV.

A bit more costly than a Scorpion, but no worries with oiling.

Colin

Nice to know Andy, I will be keeping a eye on those for future reference....
JoseReyes is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:47 AM   #6
Andy01
Registered Users

Flew the Xera today, and it ran about 8C (14F) cooler than the Scorpion 4025-550 and perhaps a few Watts less for similar flying - I put back about 80-100mAh less after two similar 6 minute flights.

It was also noticeably quieter than the Scorpion.

I just checked the vibration logs from my Skookum, and the Scorpion was giving me a vibe of 2.3 units at motor speed (more than double any other frequency), whereas the Xera gives me a vibe of 0.7 at motor speed, which is basically the same as my tail speed vibe, so it is contributing a lot less to the overall vibe reading.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote

Tags
cobra, hacker, scale fuselage

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters

Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects