Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Old 05-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
kumar2494
Registered Users

Default goblin or whiplash

I want a fbl 700 electric, and limited my choices to the whiplash and the goblin. I like the whiplash because of its size and simplicity, but I like the goblin because of its uniqueness. The only thing I dont like about the goblin is the belt drive. I have never had a belt drive heli and am wondering how well it will auto with the extra drag. My flying style is a mix between big air and smack. What do you guys think?

"Jack Frost"
kumar2494 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Chris Sexton
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a whiplash. I went Whiplash over the Goblin because there just seem to be a few quality control issues. The latest I heard was that there is a $40 tail pulley upgrade needed to fix a common issue and Goblin isn't replacing them, they are selling them. I could be wrong, but this is what I read.

If the Goblin wasn't brand spanking new and didn't have a list of known issues/common problems, I would have gone Goblin from the get go.

Yes the Whiplash is just as new, but doesn't seem to have the problems. I know I am problem free on mine. The Sprag gear needs proper adjusting but that is a setup issue not a part issue.

As for the belt, my experience, belts aren't any more drag than drive shafts if the belt tension is set correctly.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
jmancobra
Registered Users

Cd....how would you compare the whiplash and E7?

I personally have an E7 that I just finished the build. It oozes quality all throughout. They have a TT avab that would put it right w the whiplash in price w that.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
philipfrank

been flying a trouble free Whiplash since november. low parts count, solidly built, high performance, well supported, american made.

no issues.
philipfrank is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Blink 182
Registered Users

Nothing wrong with belts.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
SQRT(-2)
Registered Users

TT is about 90% hype from what I hear.

Walkera Super CP
Walkera Devo 10 w/ Deviation
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
snjbird
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have both belt and TT helis, if they are setup correct they perform the same!
The Goblin would have my vote between those two... But if I had to choose between any 700E I wouldn't choose a whiplash. The Compass has my attention these days, there were many at the Orlando one day, both compass and goblin, both flew well!
snjbird is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
DominicD
The Capi

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsexton View Post
I have a whiplash. I went Whiplash over the Goblin because there just seem to be a few quality control issues. The latest I heard was that there is a $40 tail pulley upgrade needed to fix a common issue and Goblin isn't replacing them, they are selling them. I could be wrong, but this is what I read.

If the Goblin wasn't brand spanking new and didn't have a list of known issues/common problems, I would have gone Goblin from the get go.

Yes the Whiplash is just as new, but doesn't seem to have the problems. I know I am problem free on mine. The Sprag gear needs proper adjusting but that is a setup issue not a part issue.

As for the belt, my experience, belts aren't any more drag than drive shafts if the belt tension is set correctly.
Being sponsored by Heliproz also has an impact on your decision...

Belts are the future of helis, TTs and gears seem to have reached their mechanical limits.

Spreading capibara awareness since 2006
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DominicD is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Chris Sexton
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicD View Post
Being sponsored by Heliproz also has an impact on your decision...

Belts are the future of helis, TTs and gears seem to have reached their mechanical limits.

I have purchased 1 bird since joining HeliProz and I assure it didn't make any difference in my purchase of the Whiplash. I had read several comparisons to the X7. I had an X7 and wanted to see for myself. If you want the details, read my Whiplash build thread.

My Synergy E7 and X5 are still my go to helis. I sold my X7 for other reasons and ended up with a Whiplash. I was on the pre-order list for Goblin, should have gotten one from the second batch, but I backed out when the first batch had issues with boom quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancobra
Cd....how would you compare the whiplash and E7?

I personally have an E7 that I just finished the build. It oozes quality all throughout. They have a TT avab that would put it right w the whiplash in price w that.
E7 is a lower parts count bird. Slightly shorter and equal in length. The E7 is more than 2 pounds lighter and flies just as well. I have over 100 problem free flights on mine. the only crash was a belt break, that I caused by over tightening the idler pulley.

Whiplash is a good bird, love the big air presence, but the E7 is a nicer bird in my opinion.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
felborn
Registered Users

I went with the Goblin, and after 100+ flights the last couple of months, I'm really happy I did. Not a single issue with mine so fare, and the replacment pully where sent to me for free.

- Lynx Team Pilot -
felborn is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
irishmatt18
Registered Users

I can assure you CD has had multiple helis and he is speaking from his experience with them rather then his sponsership.
irishmatt18 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
caralmar
Registered Users

Quote:
Belts are the future of helis??? Says who? If that was the case, the XXTreme would have gone to a belt too, since all other Logos are belt driven. I've flown both and they both fly the same, given they are setup correctly.

I prefer TT simply because there is no guesswork involved. Replace gears and/or bearings and it flies the exact same way as when it was new. With a belt, there is always the tension.... too much???? too little? is it twisted the right way? Do I need to worry about it expanding/contracting with the temperature? Silicon spray to reduce static electricity issues? Crap, do I need to ground the heli? and on and on and on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AmainHobbies/ProTek Field Rep
Rush 700 * Trex 700N x 2 * Trex 600Pro * Gaui NX4 * 450L Dominator - V-Bar on all
AMA #934662
caralmar is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
belcom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by caralmar View Post
Belts are the future of helis??? Says who? If that was the case, the XXTreme would have gone to a belt too, since all other Logos are belt driven. I've flown both and they both fly the same, given they are setup correctly.

I prefer TT simply because there is no guesswork involved. Replace gears and/or bearings and it flies the exact same way as when it was new. With a belt, there is always the tension.... too much???? too little? is it twisted the right way? Do I need to worry about it expanding/contracting with the temperature? Silicon spray to reduce static electricity issues? Crap, do I need to ground the heli? and on and on and on.
I'd rather install a ground wire once and adjust tension as needed (which is quite rare) than keep replacing parts... twisting the belt during build is not even an argument.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
OnTheSnap
Registered Users

One note on the Goblin belt system. It has 2 things going for it. Tail pulley is giant. This means way more teeth from the belt engage putting less stress on the belt and providing great tail authority with no rubber band effect. The unque CF boom is what allowed for this innovation and it's unlinke any other model.

Second it has a tension indicator built in. It visually tells you that the tension is correct. No guessing or pinching of the belt to get it right.

Many TT systems are wonderful and they are advancing with the power systems. Raptor G4 has slant tail gears. E7 uses mod 1.25. I think they can scale with power systems just fine.

Sorry I'm no help on the comparison though. Whippy looks awesome and very stout.
PRTOS MAX
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
frypan
Registered Users ):>

Quote:
Agreed

Dan
frypan is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #16
Chris Sexton
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
My point is that reps or pilots should avoid negative comments on other brands.
I apologize if it seemed as though I was being overly critical. I never said the goblin was a bad bird. I simply explained why I went a different way.

Truth be told I hope to try a goblin one day. When the kits are more main stream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #17
Blayd
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Between the Goblin and the Whiplash.... the Whiplash....
ANY 700?? The Compass.
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #18
irishmatt18
Registered Users

Gaui X7
irishmatt18 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #19
jhunter
Registered Users

Depends on what you want to do with it.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #20
pctomlin
Registered Users

Rave Ballistic FSO with the helical metal TT gears gets my vote for a 700.
Rave Ballistic FSO - HKIII 4035-560, Ice HV160, Bec Pro, JR 8717s, Total G w/BL-9188
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please