Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

Old 12-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
Bill Sanford
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Equipment recommendations ??

Hi Guys,

I want to get into FPV with my TRex 600. I've looked around quite a bit and was wondering about these relatively inexpensive Tx / Rx Combos:

http://www.dinodirect.com/1-2GHz-800...ESXF800mW.html
or
http://www.dinodirect.com/Wireless-T...z-JBA-800.html

Anyone have any experience with these units??

Here's a link to what looks to be a good patch antenna at a reasonable price:

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=20248

What do you think about this CCD camera:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-3-Mini-Sony-CC...item35a17fe975

I was thinking of an Eagle Tree OSD system with the GPS module. This looks just great!

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks

Bill

Bill Sanford is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Crash9
Registered Users

I can't comment on the RX and TX from dino direct but the specs look good and no tuning knob which is nice.

That's the same place I get my antenna's.....I-com. Good prices and the same ones most FPV vendors carry.

The camera specs look good and also uses a Sony chip ....but I never cared for the pin-hole lens myself but others like them.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
wasabro
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash9 View Post
I can't comment on the RX and TX from dino direct but the specs look good and no tuning knob which is nice.

That's the same place I get my antenna's.....I-com. Good prices and the same ones most FPV vendors carry.

The camera specs look good and also uses a Sony chip ....but I never cared for the pin-hole lens myself but others like them.
Crash9 please help me.Im new in FPV and like to jump into in.I doubt to what equipment to buy as a starting point.Actually why do we need to have patch antenna.How long the range for the Tx. say 800mW using stock antenna.Also do most the stuff required for FPV normally adopt from wireless CCTV system.Any advice will be appreciated.
wasabro is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
Crash9
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabro View Post
Crash9 please help me.Im new in FPV and like to jump into in.I doubt to what equipment to buy as a starting point.Actually why do we need to have patch antenna.How long the range for the Tx. say 800mW using stock antenna.Also do most the stuff required for FPV normally adopt from wireless CCTV system.Any advice will be appreciated.
Most systems have plenty of power (300mw or more) and with helis we seem to keep them closer by then a plane. You should get 3000' line of sight (LOS) or a little more without a patch and stock whips. I personally don't use a patch that often or diversity RX...I like to Keep It Simple as possible most of the time but I have been know for using all the bells and whistles too. On my basic set up I use the stock whip that comes with the gear on the RX side (dipole always on the TX) and since I like flying all around (behind myself) a patch antenna won't work unless using a EagleEyes antenna tracker or something similar....but if were talking range (over a mile) and altitude then there a must have. I would start with just the basics like Camera, RX, TX and a good monitor then add some more gear as I evolved into FPV piloting. Your correct...All the wireless gear were using is from the security industry. I use to install CCTV security systems back in the day and not much has changed....

If all you want is the basics or more then visit Thomas's site at DPCAV.com or Hobbywireless.com

Good luck and get flying soon.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
wasabro
Registered Users

Quote:
Most systems have plenty of power (300mw or more) and with helis we seem to keep them closer by then a plane. You should get 3000' line of sight (LOS) or a little more without a patch and stock whips. I personally don't use a patch that often or diversity RX...I like to Keep It Simple as possible most of the time but I have been know for using all the bells and whistles too. On my basic set up I use the stock whip that comes with the gear on the RX side (dipole always on the TX) and since I like flying all around (behind myself) a patch antenna won't work unless using a EagleEyes antenna tracker or something similar....but if were talking range (over a mile) and altitude then there a must have. I would start with just the basics like Camera, RX, TX and a good monitor then add some more gear as I evolved into FPV piloting. Your correct...All the wireless gear were using is from the security industry. I use to install CCTV security systems back in the day and not much has changed....

If all you want is the basics or more then visit Thomas's site at DPCAV.com or Hobbywireless.com

Good luck and get flying soon.
Thank you Crash9 for you help.At least now I got some idea what stuff to buy.Meaning that any Tx. and Rx. that capable up to 1500m with stock whips will works.Does any pinhole camera will do as well.Why most people chose 1/3 over 1/4 for the camera and what lens suitable for the beginner like me.For the monitor I will choose either 7" or 9" that normally use in car video system.I plan to use my R50 rig with CP2 on it.Any suggestion?
wasabro is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:36 AM   #6
Trnquill
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here in Finland we are limited to 10mW in 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz band. If you wish to obtain a good (or more than 20 meters... ) range you have to use patch. And if you use patch, some kind of antenna tracking is a must, too.

I think I would never fly a heli more than 1000m away. Too great a risk of loosing it if even the spotter can not see it anymore!
Trnquill is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
Bill Sanford
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the information Crash9.

Here's what I ordered so far:

Based on Wobby's recommendation on RC Groups (see here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1162250&page=6 Post # 47)
I ordered this TX / RX combo:

http://www.dinodirect.com/Wireless-1...ESPT800mw.html

He said that he was getting over 7km with this TX / RX combo.

I also ordered this Sony 1/3" CCD camera with audio and a 2.8mm lens.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Sony-CCD-Co...3D10%26ps%3D63

After reading quite a bit, I determined that a 2.8mm lens would be best because it would give me a wider field of view (110 degrees) over longer lenses (bigger mm #) and this would be helpful...

Initially I was thinking about installing FPV in a TRex 600, but I may build up an Easy Star or Asian clone to test with first and get used to FPV flying.

What's the best bang for buck for video goggles? I'm somewhat far sighted, so that may make a difference. I'd like to be able to see the screens! :-)

Also, is pan / tilt really needed? It seems cool, but is it really necessary?

I have both an X9303 and a DX7. I was thinking of setting up my DX7 for FPV with a 1 watt wireless access point amplifier. I've seen them on EBay for $40-$50. This should give me all the range I need from what I've read...

I assume I should just bite the bullet and add OSD with GPS. It will likely save me a bunch of money in the long run by helping me get my aircraft home. Is Eagle Tree the best way to go, or are there other options I should consider?

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bill

Old 03-22-2010, 05:12 AM   #8
DinoDirect

Hello everyone,
This is DinoDirect official account. Firstly, we would like to say 'thank you'. We have noticed several customers were originated from here. And we are pleased to offer a 10% exclusive coupon for your forum members.
With coupon code spring2010, you can get 10% off for any items.
More items, please view this link.
Further assistance, please feel free to contact our customer reps.
DinoDirect is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
Crash9
Registered Users

Cool.... we FPV pilots love to have a discount.

Hey Bill, Did you ever get your gear...if so...how's it going?

Old 04-21-2010, 01:47 AM   #10
DinoDirect

I'm back now.
Have someone noticed that our price for the Safety& security category changed for a while?
Last week,some members in another forum notified us that our price was highly risen. Some items were double risen and some were overpriced than other company. We went on a tour of inspection to all the products and found out the problem. A system bug occurred and impacted on our price setting. We have started to solve the problem. The price havs been recovered.
It must bring you some troubles. We're sorry for it.
Now I can do collect the info and help to solve problem. Please feel free to reply me here.

All the coupon we provide are available.
“SS10” --10% off, which is for the whole category of Safety& security
“SAFE12” -- 12% off, which is for the whole category of Safety& security
“spring2010” – 10% off, which is for all the categories.
DinoDirect is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
Bill Sanford
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Cool.... we FPV pilots love to have a discount.

Hey Bill, Did you ever get your gear...if so...how's it going?

Not sure how I missed your post from last March. Sorry for not responding sooner.

Yes, I did get my gear. I built a Rite Wing Zephyr with the following gear:

Panasonic GP-CX161 CCD Camera
Range Video Tiny Mic
Remzibi OSD w/GPS
Two DPC 5VDC Voltage Regulator (BEC) (One for VTX / Camera / OSD, one for RC Rx and servos)
Range Video 12V 300mA Step-up Power Supply for VTX
DinoDirect 800mw 1.2 GHz VTX
Corona
RP8D1 Receiver 72Mhz
GW-BF01-J/4282 GWS BE-Found
Turnigy TR 35-36B 1300kv Brushless Outrunner
Phoenix 35 Brushless ESC
APC 10x6 Folding Prop

Turnigy 5000mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack
Assorted Heat shrink, connectors, etc...

It's finished but I've yet to maiden it. I'm still waiting on batteries from Hobby King!! Their warehouse was shut down due to a move and I've been waiting too long!!

Bill

Old 04-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #12
assatom
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Anyone have experience with this kit/shop?
:
http://www.futurehobbies.com/index.p...hk=1&Itemid=53

And this:

http://fpvsystems.com/index.php?main...products_id=31

Last edited by assatom; 04-23-2010 at 05:47 PM..
assatom is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft