Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

Old 03-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #101
Trooper
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator53 View Post
I agree with Ivor, get the 9 channel radio and resist the temptation to get all of it dialed in at once, one step at a time Flame, 'cause everytime we take a step forward, the view changes
A 9 channel or more is definately the way to go. Makes life easier all round and the extra channels can be used for turning lights on and off etc.

Ian
Trooper is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #102
Navigator53
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Good info!

Thanks Night!

You have me running off in a new direction now.

In my in searching around for LED setups, I found an LED replacement anchor light for the boat.

One of the issues at anchor is trying to keep the batteries up, I even have a solar panel but still over time batteries run down.

The LED one uses 2/10 of an amp vs 1.5 amps

Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
All you get???

I don't know if you can find the lights I used on the web site,
I happened to be in the store here where I live and saw a selection of accent lights for your car and thought they would work nicely on a heli....

If I remember correctly, the light strips we're $19.99 a piece, and the 4 strobes with the controller was $29.99
As far as hooking them up..... you'll need to either add a 3S lipo to your heli to power the light, or if your flying a larger bird you can install a voltage regulator off of your main flight battery(s) to kick down the voltage to 12V to supply the needed power.(3S lipo is a simple solution)
Navigator53 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #103
splitboarder
Registered Users

OK....quick question about using autotrim. I set up my heli and put my swash leveling tool on the main shaft. I gave the collective 50 percent input. The servo arms were close to 90 degrees with the aileron a bit lower than the other 2 servos. I gave 100 percent stick input and the swash went up level except the slight dip towards aileron. I gave full negative and the swash stayed level except for the dip in the aileron side.
I decided to simulate a hover on my kitchen table by putting in a bit of input to the aileron to keep the swash level. After 8 seconds I hit the auto trim.
The swash now is level at 50, 0 and 100 percent stick input. I have 0 degree pitch at 50% and -10 on zero and +10 at 100 percent

All the swash movements are correct, the swash responds correctly in horizontal mode I wil be using the internal gyro with gain at 21 percent in heading hold mode only.

All my servos look good on the PC tabs

What happens if my heli is a bit tail heavy? Im guessing I still have to hover for 8 sec and autotrrim again correct?

I think I may be ready again

Now if it will stop raining
splitboarder is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #104
Navigator53
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey Splitboarder,

What I found was that level on the workbench wasn't necessarily what would be level for level hover.

Messing around on the workbench I have reset auto trim and had to re-trim when hovering.

I too thought "Why not just auto trim when it's "level" on the work bench"

HC needs to see averages of stick movements over 8 seconds to know what average is.

Careful after a bench reset as HC will add to or subract from Your stick inputs, it can be handful at first as we compete with each other, so you may have to do a quick trim and then a more refined trim.

I'm finding now at the field I'm fusing with auto trim if I see a tendency for the bird to want to drift in one direction.

Training gear was a must!

I think your good for another go at it!

The folks who mentored us can add a more in depth explanation

My gyro gain for the tail is happy at 8 any more than that and heli had the tail jitters.

But for now, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it

Mel

Last edited by Navigator53; 03-08-2010 at 10:44 AM..
Old 03-08-2010, 02:54 AM   #105
Trooper
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitboarder View Post
I decided to simulate a hover on my kitchen table by putting in a bit of input to the aileron to keep the swash level. After 8 seconds I hit the auto trim.
The swash now is level at 50, 0 and 100 percent stick input. I have 0 degree pitch at 50% and -10 on zero and +10 at 100 percent

All the swash movements are correct, the swash responds correctly in horizontal mode I wil be using the internal gyro with gain at 21 percent in heading hold mode only.

All my servos look good on the PC tabs

What happens if my heli is a bit tail heavy? Im guessing I still have to hover for 8 sec and autotrrim again correct?

I think I may be ready again

Now if it will stop raining
What sort of readings do you get in the Autotrim settings on the RC & Trim tab? If they are less than 50 then you should be good to go. Ideally they should be as close to zero as possible. Once you start to fly and use AT they will change each time.
Personally I found that leaving the values set from the bench test, when it is reasonablly level, will prevent the sudden initial correction when you use AT the first time you fly.
Gyro gain sounds about right at 21%.
If your heli is slightly tail heavy, HC will correct for this. to a certain extent. If you find it drifts in any one direction, constantly, then you can adjust the sensor position by tilting it.
Get into the habit of AT every time you take off and do it a couple of times to fine tune.

Ian
Trooper is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #106
Navigator53
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Decent AP of building

Wind was a little too gusty but since it wasn't letting up, I went for it anyway.

I really had to trust Helicommand because the heli was a spect in the sky.

With the wind, I had to coax it back down, couldn't take my eyes off the bird, but it felt like my left stick was about 0 or sometimes minus a degree or 2.

Looking at the bottom that far up, it's harder to tell if it's coming down or not

Hey, I know it's ugly, but it's paid for

Old 04-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #107
nightflyr
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nicely done Mel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nightflyr is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #108
FLAME747
Registered Users

Great Job Buddy, I am right behind you. playing catch-up

JR X9503.FunJet Ultra, Scimitar, Stryker F27C and Q, DogFighter, mCPx
FLAME747 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization