Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

Old 08-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
akiyoshinosato
Registered Users

Default log viewer

Hi, all

I'm currently using three Phoenix ICE series ESCs; 50 Lite on mini-protos, 75 Lite on Protos, and 100 with Bec Pro on T-REX 500.

When I load the log data from one of those ESCs, sometimes the Rotor-RPM is not
drawn correctly. The reason is probably that the log viewer keeps the Motor setting
data from the ESC previously connected and whose log data has been loaded.

The Motor setting data should be refreshed each time an ESC is connected and
its log data loaded, but it does not seem to work that way. The correct Motor
setting data are loaded after closing the log viewer and reloading the log data.

Any way to avoid wasting time opening, closing and reopening the log viewer?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
ahahn
Registered Users

This question comes up often, but I think the answer for now is "no".

The reason is (I think) that the gearing info and magnet count are not stored in the ESC at all---just the target motor commutation rate (= (headspeed/gearing)*magnet count. That's all the ESC really needs to know to govern. I am sure the logger is just logging the commutation rate, and it is the Windows application that is converting that into head speed--using the conversion that you last used.

It seems that it would be a good idea for CC to either store that conversion rate in the ESC to provide for a readback when you download the data, or another possibility, ask us which model we are downloading the data from, and then read the conversion value back from a file on the disk. This latter method is what Eagletree uses in their datalogger. I favor the first method, because then you could readback the data and conversion factor on a different computer, and not have to make a new "model" for each computer (this is a PITA for the Eagletree method).

But for now you are stuck.
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
akiyoshinosato
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

ahahn

Thanks for your input. I totally agree with you in that it would be preferrable for CC to store the conversion rate in the ESC. CC says in their reply to my inquiry that they don't think it would be easy, but I don't see why it is that difficult.

So, as you say, I seem to be stuck for now and have to enter the Motor and Gearing info each time I download the log data from different helis. Oh, well ... (sigh)
Old 08-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
ahahn
Registered Users

I think I have to take back what I said in my previous post.

Just at lunch today, I hooked up my link to two different aircraft, one a control line plane driving a prop (no gears), the other my Furion 450. I was playing with the governor in both.
When I plugged in the link to the Furion (after the plane), the throttle window clearly remembered the gearing. So they must store that info in the ESC. Now they just need the data readout to use the ESC info, rather than the last value that the software window saw.

But it looks like CC is pretty busy right now with fire control , so it may be a while before they have time to fix this.
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
akiyoshinosato
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

ahahn

Thank you again for correction. Yes, CastleLink remembers Motor and Gearing info. That's all the more reason for CC to be able to transfer that
data to the Graph Viewer, IMHO.

Busy with fire control? Well, you're very right in saying so, I'm afraid :-)

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support