Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Old 02-08-2005, 06:57 AM   #1
ThBrtmn
Registered Users

Default LIPO altitude ?

Does anyone know if LiPos are succeptible to altitude change....IE... can you take them in your undercarriage luggage on a plane and they be ok with the altitude pressure changes???

~Bart~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ThBrtmn is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:33 AM   #2
Laurens
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Why not? They're shipped with airplanes from the US to Europe etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Laurens is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:34 AM   #3
ThBrtmn
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I thought about that Laurens...I just want to be sure about it cause the plane they will be flying on this time will be carring me and the family...

~Bart~

Old 02-08-2005, 08:36 AM   #4
Laurens
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As long as you won't keep the battery in your pocket together with your keys just like I did with a nicd cell you won't get hurt

Old 02-08-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
hercdriver7777
Registered Users

Yes, but the planes they ship on are pressurized to at least 5000 ft. If you are flying in your own private job above that then I might look into that. After all they are just bags of polymerized metals.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:25 AM   #6
ThBrtmn
Registered Users

This will be a regular commercial airliner with the Batts in the under carriage baggage.

~Bart~

Old 02-08-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
Mike Fortin

My HF Map location

It will be fine, many people transported electrics to Vegas a few weeks ago and there was no problems.
Mike Fortin is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:34 PM   #8
Blackbird
Registered Users

Personally, I would not carry or allow anyone to carry them on my plane. Remember the oxygen cannister in Value Jet? I know that they are in computers and phones...there they are not easily damaged. Loose cells can be ruptured...turning them into flares!

Just my procedure...
Blackbird is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:05 PM   #9
marked23
Registered Users

I would declare them at check-in. They are going to seriously impress the x-ray systems and your luggage will likely be opened and hand inspected. It might be helpful to include a note with the batteries stating exactly what they are.

However if your batteries are valued at $500ea and combined with the potential possibility that security personel are going to confiscate them, you might try mailing them to the destination. Mail them to general delivery at a post office near your destination. The post office will hold your package for 30 days or so while waiting for you to pick it up.

Here are some links I found:
They refer to non-rechargable lithium batteries.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...18/ai_n6280925

http://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/04-26.pdf

http://www.dscr.dla.mil/userweb/avia...ircraft%20.htm

-Mark
marked23 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 07:20 AM   #10
ThBrtmn
Registered Users

Mark...
Got this one from the third link in the first paragraph.

Quote:
This prohibition does not affect the carriage of lithium batteries or devices containing lithium batteries that are transported in a passenger’s luggage for personal use

~Bart~

Old 02-09-2005, 07:23 AM   #11
WillJames
HF Support

My HF Map location

Thanks for sharing the info Mark!

If you fly you are going to crash.
Not again!!!
WillJames is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #12
Laurens
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think you got to fly your heli now in the airplane

Old 02-09-2005, 12:22 PM   #13
ThBrtmn
Registered Users

The Reason why Im asking...Going out west to visit some family and want to put together a Temp Foamie while im out there. Got everything packed...just hope the LHS has some CF rods. Im putting my LiPos in a small pyrex dish with a sandbag over them taped toether...If the plane goes down...I love you all non gay style...and it wasnt my fault. :mrgreen:

~Bart~

Old 02-09-2005, 12:51 PM   #14
marked23
Registered Users

If you fly your heli on the airplane, does that make the airplane lighter?
-Mark
Old 02-09-2005, 01:13 PM   #15
marked23
Registered Users

"put together a Temp Foamie while im out there."
Oh so we are talking about 2000mah or less. Just put them in any uncrushable box and forget it. You just want to make sure that they don't short or sustain any physical damage.

"LiPos in a small pyrex dish with a sandbag over them"
Uhh.. that's pretty much a textbook explosive tamping system. Don't do that. You may actually get arrested for creating a simulated bomb. (Yes, I'm a little paranoid of the resulting effects of the PATRIOT act.)

When preparing a good explosion, you need to hold the explosive medium in a confined space so that it builds up a great deal of pressure before being allowed to expand. Some C4, wrapped in a sandbag, in a pyrex dish would be just the ticket. If I were watching the x-ray, this is what I would be looking for. Don't make it look like that.

-Mark
"Do not stare into laser with remaining eye."
Old 02-12-2005, 11:29 AM   #16
ThBrtmn
Registered Users

Thanks mark...
I read your post a little late... I transported them as I mentioned with no problem...in the undercarriage.... yeah these are max 1320mah lipos. So...on the way back you would just sugest a box????
Thanks

~Bart~

Old 02-12-2005, 12:23 PM   #17
marked23
Registered Users

I'd just protect them by putting them in a thick sock, or a box.

Reading my previous post, I may have overstated the risk of creating something that looks suspicious. But I read stories about weird injustices all the time. So I guess it's worth it to try to think ahead about these things.

-Mark

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please