Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

Old 02-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
alphonso
Registered Users

Default Genius CP got the wobbles ? Please read.

Hi guys, I've had my Genius for 3 months and have always had random oscillations that sometimes cause the heli to bury itself in the ground with no input from me.
I'm a relatively experienced clubman level flyer so had checked all the obvious things such as blade balancing ( really not neccesary ), main and motor shaft, bearings and secured the loose boom.
With help on the forum I deduced that the feathering shaft was too loose (out of the box), the feathering shaft could be moved quite freely up and down before tthe movement was limited by the rubber dampers. I had no O rings of the right size so as I had a spare head I had a go at shortening the feathering shaft so as to push on the dampers more. My first attempt did the job but I filed too much off the shaft and caused the blade grips to become stiff. The second attempt saw me simply run a file about 5 times over the end of the shaft, I then gently inserted a screw to clean the thread so no material entered the blade grip bearing. The head is now fully supported by the the rubbers and has just a little flex.
The result was a new helicopter, totally different with crisp response and smooth transition.

Now I thought that would be the end of my problems but on refitting my C05 motor and using my 240 Hyperions fitted with micro Deans the wobbles came back, but only for the first 2 minutes or so of flight. I needed to remove the motor from the equation so fitted a Deans to a stock battery and the wobbles were not present, this could mean headspeed issues due to the lower voltage with stock cells so I used a hyperion and lowered the head speed. Wobbles still there.

This is the eureka moment and explains how I kept on thinking I'd cured the problem only for it to return with the next flight. I loop the battery wires and connectors over the front of the reciever and back to the ESC mounted on the pitch servo to get a correct C of G , one of my hyperion packs had slightly shorter wires which yesterday I noticed gently pulling the RX down slightly. I tried to move the RX up and down and found it did not move freely like it does normally stuck on the ridiculously flimsy RX tray. I flew this battery and there were no woobles, landed and put a pack in with longer wires, wobbles came back. Surely this is not the cause of 3 months of frustration, great if it is, but . . .. . . .man.

I cut two 4mm x 10mm strips of double sided dense sticky foam and mounted them on top of each other to join the front of the RX to the front of the battery tray.
So now the RX tray cannot move but is supported by foam.
This cured it totally, 20 flights last night without one wobble.

In summary, it appears that the higher voltage at the beginning of a flight and using Hyperions somehow affects the Gyros. I always thought the genius' saggy RX mount a strange design and the more secure fitting of the Mini CP's rx would back that up. I cant believe I'm the only person to have this problem and in my opinion it is the main cause of flight issues as I've fitted the old loose head and a pair of detroyed blades to the GCP and it still flies without wobbles. Not as precise but no wobbles

Good day and happy flying, Allan.
alphonso is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
jonbailie
Registered Users

My 25c's used to do this too. After re-mounting the rx and finely balancing the blades, I finally got it fixed. I ended up using a square of electrical tape about 2mm by 2mm right around the blade grip towards the front part of the blade. Seems to run very very smooth now. You can usually tell how smooth it's running by how smoothly slow pirouettes go. If they look 'bumpy', then you need a little more balancing on the blades.
// WK2801 // Spektrum DX4e //
jonbailie is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support