Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Mini CP

Mini CP Walkera Mini CP Helicopter Support

Old 02-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Heli-opolis
Registered Users

Default BNF Mini-CP battery charger under-charging.

My Mini-CP, w/o TX, came with a small dual battery charger but after charging to what the charger thinks is full, the batteries only measure about 4.17 to 4.18 volts, as measured on a Fluke multimeter.

But, after charging has completed on that charger, I put the batteries on the wall charger that came with my RTF V120D02S, which brings them up to a full 4.20 to 4.21 volts.

Does anyone else, with the same kit, see the same thing?

The charger does have screws in the bottom of it but it appears that they don't hold the top and bottom halves together because the top and bottom seem to actually be glued together, i.e. no user serviceable parts. :-( The screws just seem to be holding a circuit board in place.

It's a shame that it isn't fully charging batteries and apparently can't be adjusted because it is a sweet little charger even if it doesn't have all the buzzers whistles and bells of the more expensive chargers.
Heli-opolis is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
MilitaryMachinist
Registered Users

hmmm I use custom chargers? but mine hasnt come in yet, when it does ill use it and see what it says.
MilitaryMachinist is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Heli-opolis
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'd be interested to hear what you find out.

I plan on getting a better charger soon, probably a Turnigy or similar but for a charger, with a USB power source, that fits in a pocket, it's pretty convenient.

Other than the fact that it doesn't fully charge the batteries but whose to quibble over little things like that? ;-)
Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
MilitaryMachinist
Registered Users

I use the Hitec X4. Can charge 4 batteries at a time, 1-6S and pump out 50W at 5A per charging port. Usually if I run 1amp though I get better results than if I say charge a 550mAh battery at 2.5 amps (probably has to do with the cell equalizing out and the charge moving across the cell in time).
Old 02-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Heli-opolis
Registered Users

Wow! You didn't spare any Lincolns on that one! That's a sweet charger!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
MilitaryMachinist
Registered Users

I have (if you include the 3 ordered helicopters that are "on the way") I have 14 helicopters. So I got kind of tired of having 14 different chargers lol. I have a cable with 8 different connections on one end. Then I have adapters to balance charge multiple single cells at a time. (I use two Hitec X4 chargers). I just got tired of having to unplug and plug in different charges, and to not be able to push one button and charge them up. Or to have to wait for charging to complete. I can fly non stop with this system. Say I am flying and have stagger started batteries, I could actually fly for hours with only breaks to change batteries.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
Heli-opolis
Registered Users

No argument about not wanting to be buried under a mountain of different chargers.

Besides that, it seems reliability of different chargers varies so spending the money for something decent is the way to go. Not that I've had a 'bad' charger, per se, just that they don't always charge to the levels they should or control voltage/current as more expensive feature-rich chargers do.

Add to that, the wall warts and various other included chargers don't display information like voltage, current or the amount of energy transferred and without the last, one can never really know how long a given batteries expected life span is or even how long one should fly on it.

I wish one could order kits and specifically select to NOT have a charger included.

On the other hand, you can tie a bunch together with the cords and use them hunting as a bola.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
MilitaryMachinist
Registered Users

I use it to tune precise flight times. I have one of my helicopters I fly to within 5mAh of the battery capacity on the timer. Also to put batteries in storage mode.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
bytemuncher
Registered Users

At the low end there is the accucel 6 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=7028

I only fly micros and this thing is pretty sweet for the price. With daisy-chained pigtails I can parallel charge 11 lipos simultaneously.

It may not be the most accurate, but my lipos are loving it after many many cycles. I threw away the stock wall chargers as they puffed up a few packs after only a few cycles.
bytemuncher is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
krobinson103
Registered Users

The charger that came with my old Walkera v400 wasn't so bad. Its only 2-3 cell at 850mah, but it did such a good job I got 4 of them and connected them into a lcd monitor power brick as the slow balancing part of my portable charging system. By themselves rtf chargers aren't that great, but they are cheap and have their uses. Also by replacing the wall wart power supplies with something like a power brick you can run a bunch of them off one plug.
krobinson103 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Mini CP

Mini CP Walkera Mini CP Helicopter Support