Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion

Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers and Other Electronics Discussion

Old 02-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Rob43
Registered Users

Default Lower Throttle Values for Align RCE-BL60G

Building a scale 500 sized heli. Need to know if the Align 60 AMP ESC can tolerate flat throttle curve operation at 65% or so throttle value? Or will it overheat? Want a lower headspeed. Ideally, I think it would be a lower kV motor than the 500M, but probably need about a 1200kV motor. Not many options for motors. The lower kV motor options are the ones intended for Protos - about 900 kV. Not sure if I'd get enough from that. Any thoughts?
Rob43 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Rob43
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Really? Oh, I see. Thanks for that.
Rob43 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
flerpie
Registered Users

Could go a custom wind on the motor? There are people that
sell custom winds. And I think I saw that scorpion will do a
custom wind for you.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
wanderer56
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You'll still need x amount of headspeed to get it to fly right. So going to a lower kv motor rating will require an increase in pinion size. Motor amperage rating is also a consideration.

You might get away with it by experimenting with your pitch curve. (40-85-90-95-100)

Although many have done it without problems and coming from an electrical background, I like my esc amp rating to be equal to or 10% higher than the max amps the motor will pull. Even though they can handle a momentary burst of higher amperage, and theoretically it could happen, most seldom go over the esc amperage rating. Maybe some of the hardcore 3D flyers.

The 500MX has a max amp draw of 74 amps and I run a Kontronic Koby 90 LV. It barely gets warm after 3-4 conseutive 5:00 min flights. So I have some headroom and no heatsink needed and it's mounted under the battery tray where it does not get much air for cooling.

Align is shipping the kits with a 70 amp esc, so I guess it will work, I'm just not comfortable with that set-up.

You might post in the scale forum and see what all those guys do.
wanderer56 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion

Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers and Other Electronics Discussion