Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)


Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #21
litehawkdown
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,403
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Default

JoeW in the 250 forum was saying you can find the 3gx Align FBL controller for $100 in the classifieds here. I have seen a complete Align FBL head for $30-40 on some online sites. I think HH even sells it for 30ish. But I plan on waiting a bit to go FBL. I think the Technology is going to drop in price soon enough. I also would like to learn how a FB heli works. I am more of a mechanical brain then a Electronic brain. I like the Idea of playing with flybar weights to tame the 250 to get me going. I can't wait to get this thing spooled up. I still have to program the ESC the gyro and play with the TX settings but it's pretty much GTG.
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:16 AM   #22
toys2cars2toys
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,581
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cumbria UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
JoeW in the 250 forum was saying you can find the 3gx Align FBL controller for $100 in the classifieds here. I have seen a complete Align FBL head for $30-40 on some online sites. I think HH even sells it for 30ish. But I plan on waiting a bit to go FBL. I think the Technology is going to drop in price soon enough. I also would like to learn how a FB heli works. I am more of a mechanical brain then a Electronic brain. I like the Idea of playing with flybar weights to tame the 250 to get me going. I can't wait to get this thing spooled up. I still have to program the ESC the gyro and play with the TX settings but it's pretty much GTG.

I had a bad experience with my 250, but I put that down to my lack of pilot skills, not the heli
I froze during early set up flights, the inevitable happened

My best advice is to spend ages on the set up, get the swash right, use a pitch gauge to the extreme and spend time on your TX settings
If you have the luxury I'd ask an experienced pilot to do the first set up flight (sorry I'm assuming that this is you first kit build)
I think you'll love it
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #23
litehawkdown
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,403
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys2cars2toys View Post
I had a bad experience with my 250, but I put that down to my lack of pilot skills, not the heli
I froze during early set up flights, the inevitable happened

My best advice is to spend ages on the set up, get the swash right, use a pitch gauge to the extreme and spend time on your TX settings
If you have the luxury I'd ask an experienced pilot to do the first set up flight (sorry I'm assuming that this is you first kit build)
I think you'll love it
Yep first build. I am taking my sweet time. I'm in no real hurry. I only work on the heli when the better half is out at her derby practice. My mCPX was my first heli 9 months ago. It's all stock except some home made mods and a MH swash. I'll keep flying that for now. Love that little guy.
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #24
vertico
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,328
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Default

This is my first kit as well
__________________
130x - X3 - X4II - Goblin 570 - Goblin 630c - Vbar Control
vertico is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #25
litehawkdown
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,403
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertico View Post
This is my first kit as well
If you sell it you might fair better at parting it out. But as a complete heli you are bound to take a big loss. Having the HK parts on there make it a even tougher sell. I don't think you'll get close to your money invested back. I say hold onto it. Wait and see how the 300x is reviewed. If you still want it after it is critiqued by the masses then get it. then you can decide which heli is best for you without a doubt. Plus you never know some of your 250 parts might be able to be used on the 300x.
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #26
toys2cars2toys
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,581
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cumbria UK
Default

Vertico

You may find that people will be buying the 300X for the AR7200 and then selling on the airframe unused - I bet that will happen

Then you could get one to work with your BeastX
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #27
vertico
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,328
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Default

That is an excellent idea. I could pick up an unused frame and drop the beast in it.
__________________
130x - X3 - X4II - Goblin 570 - Goblin 630c - Vbar Control
vertico is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #28
toys2cars2toys
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,581
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cumbria UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertico View Post
I could pick up an unused frame and drop the beast in it.
What you do in your spare time is up to you
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #29
vertico
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,328
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys2cars2toys View Post
What you do in your spare time is up to you
lol, this is the best forum ever
__________________
130x - X3 - X4II - Goblin 570 - Goblin 630c - Vbar Control
vertico is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #30
jaydekay
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: United States of America
Default

@litehawkdown

I've owned a T250 SE and converted to FBL, it cost me around $800+ : )

IMO, the T250 and 300X serve very different purposes.

To me, the 300X is a heli that will cheap to repair and more suitable to fly in smaller areas than larger helis. This is attractive to me.

I've learned long ago that the eflite stuff is best taken for 'what it is' and that adding lots of hopups starts to take away the unique benefits of their products (cheap and durable/flexible parts). Not to mention, I think a lot of the hopups are kind of... negligible at best. They put out pretty 'decent' stuff right out of the box. Course, I'm always game for a couple upgrades, but full-bling on eflite stuff often tries to make it something that it just isn't, and at a cost that doesn't make much economical sense (but does for the 'fun' of moding of course).

At any rate, enjoy the 250 - it's a nice little machine
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jaydekay is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #31
mediclavina
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,064
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Louisiana, USA
Default

One thing I don't like about the smaller helis from Align is they are the least maintenance-friendly helis.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
__________________
GAUI EP-200 V2 FBL, Blade Nano CPX, Blade mCP-X, Hirobo SRB Quark, Blade mSR, Blade mCX
mediclavina is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #32
litehawkdown
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,403
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydekay View Post
@litehawkdown

I've owned a T250 SE and converted to FBL, it cost me around $800+ : )

IMO, the T250 and 300X serve very different purposes.

To me, the 300X is a heli that will cheap to repair and more suitable to fly in smaller areas than larger helis. This is attractive to me.

I've learned long ago that the eflite stuff is best taken for 'what it is' and that adding lots of hopups starts to take away the unique benefits of their products (cheap and durable/flexible parts). Not to mention, I think a lot of the hopups are kind of... negligible at best. They put out pretty 'decent' stuff right out of the box. Course, I'm always game for a couple upgrades, but full-bling on eflite stuff often tries to make it something that it just isn't, and at a cost that doesn't make much economical sense (but does for the 'fun' of moding of course).

At any rate, enjoy the 250 - it's a nice little machine
I think you hit the nail right on the head of my thinking with this post.

I have a mCPX and I can not for the life of me understand why guys mod those little guys with all the CF and Aluminum. IMHO $179.99 for the mcpx is enough invested for a heli that size. The brushless mod is one thing. But all that bling????

I am predicting that the 300x in the hands of a inexperienced pilot (like myself) is going to need some upgrades to survive repeated crashing. Those upgrades will do just what you state and make the 300x cost more then a 250 in the end. Which takes away for what a Blade is. A well flying cheap machine.

My T-rex super combo was $360 all I needed to complete the build was a RX and a battery. $13 for the battery and a extra 5 for some male deans connectors. A free Rx came with my DX7s. So I am in for $378 so far

I may change my mind in the future but right now I am very happy.
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #33
InFocus
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,700
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Holly Springs, North Carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
I think you hit the nail right on the head of my thinking with this post.

I have a mCPX and I can not for the life of me understand why guys mod those little guys with all the CF and Aluminum. IMHO $179.99 for the mcpx is enough invested for a heli that size. The brushless mod is one thing. But all that bling????

I am predicting that the 300x in the hands of a inexperienced pilot (like myself) is going to need some upgrades to survive repeated crashing. Those upgrades will do just what you state and make the 300x cost more then a 250 in the end. Which takes away for what a Blade is. A well flying cheap machine. ....
Agree, blinged out mCPX makes no sense.

Curious, it sounds like you want the 300x to be durable like the mCPX. I think this is not a reasonable expectation. My expectations are that the 300x will be more along the lines of durability as any normal 450. If you touch the ground with the blades (ie crash it), you will need to buy around $20 worth of parts, like you do with the 450. If it flys well, then I think it would still be considered a well flying inexpensive machine.

'Blinging out' a 300x in attempt to make it more durable will do nothing but make the heli fly worse, and be even more expensive to crash.
__________________
Current fleet is getting smaller.
Blackout Mini-H, Blade 200qx, Nano QX, UM F-27q Stryker, UM P51 Mustang, F4F Wildcat, DX6 radio.
Previous fleet: mcpx, 300x, 350qx,450x, qav400, DX7s
InFocus is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #34
litehawkdown
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,403
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus View Post
Agree, blinged out mCPX makes no sense.

Curious, it sounds like you want the 300x to be durable like the mCPX. I think this is not a reasonable expectation. My expectations are that the 300x will be more along the lines of durability as any normal 450. If you touch the ground with the blades (ie crash it), you will need to buy around $20 worth of parts, like you do with the 450. If it flys well, then I think it would still be considered a well flying inexpensive machine.

'Blinging out' a 300x in attempt to make it more durable will do nothing but make the heli fly worse, and be even more expensive to crash.
I don't expect it to be like a mCPX in a crash. I know any heli with that kind of weight and speed is not going to fair well in a crash.

But better materials can help with durability. SR's were known to break frames. Cost of repairs on that heli are well documented. I expect that the 300x will perform great and above a SR. That is until it hits the dirt. Then it will cost you. Much like a SR.

I have seen talk of guys hopping up Blade heli's in hopes of better durability and performance. I am sure lots of people will do the same with the 300x. And I totally agree with what you are saying about Blade hop ups. They are not worth the money in most cases. That is why I suggest people consider the higher quality kits if they are that type of person. I think It will cost you less in the long run

Last edited by litehawkdown; 03-06-2012 at 06:17 AM..
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #35
02stampede
Registered Users
 
Posts: 257
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Default

Why not bling out an mCPX?

Some of the after market parts, have been said by many to improve performance. Yes, some are just junk and only add a bling factor. Converting to brushless is without question a great upgrade. They are small and affordable to fly. Why not customize one to suit you and make it your own? I have one upgraded and one that is bone stock. Best of both worlds.
02stampede is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #36
jaydekay
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: United States of America
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02stampede View Post
Why not bling out an mCPX?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydekay View Post
...for the 'fun' of moding of course.
Moving on, I think we all agree that the brushless mod is great for more performance. Although I wish it wasn't so dang hit and miss!

But some (many?) of the mods add weight and not much else. IMO some make more sense than others. But just because there is an aftermarket part for sale by some company, doesn't mean adding it will make the heli better performance wise.

Some of the stock plastic parts absorb shock and actually are pretty durable simply because they are plastic. Generally speaking, I think the mCPX is very durable and is "balanced" pretty nicely as far as the choice of materials for each given task. (Although I think the solid tail boom, solid main shaft and slightly more durable landing gear would be nice out of the box).

One thing to keep in mind is that when you start adding ridged parts to a heli, the shock caused by a crash is more efficiently transfered to other parts. Meaning parts that used to not break, now can.

As far as modding the 300X, I will probably mod a couple of things based on how it performs, but for the most part, I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is quite good stock. I'm betting that it will be a lot better than the SR (even though myself and others had a blast and flew the crap out of that thing!). The 300x looks to have all the goods where it needs them for the most part:

- Fast servos (and perhaps even a bit over the top for a heli this size - haha like that's possible)
- Great FBL controller
- Brushless
- Variable pitch tail (no tail motor to mess with)
- Belt tail (nice for durability)
- Chinese tail weights
- Metal swash component where it needs it

Looking forward to it!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jaydekay is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #37
vertico
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,328
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Default

Here's how you do an mcpx:
HP05 brushless
120SR tail w/Walkera prop
Rakon Swash w/grommet mod

No other fluff

It flies great and handles crash well
See the dirt ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331072197.685778.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	296436  
__________________
130x - X3 - X4II - Goblin 570 - Goblin 630c - Vbar Control
vertico is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #38
Varc
Registered Users
 
Posts: 10,857
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Parker, Colorado
Default

I have ben thinking the same thing. I love the quality and support of Eflite and their Blade series.
However, my 250 has on it, a very nice scale fuselage by Align them selves. I dont see much difference between 250 and a 300. But, my thoughts may change once I see the 300, and the 450X is pretty cool as well. It would be nice to have a fleet of various sizes, all maintaining the same factory quality.
I hope that these afternarket companies will produce similar parts for the 300 as well as the 450x. Including the ever so awesome TDR canopies and skids, and full alloy and carbon upgrades. I would love to have my fleet ranging from 450x, down to the MSRX and MQX all matching with the same aftermarket upgrades.
Flying the MSRX, SHOULD translate into flying the 450x with the same electronics on board.
__________________
Blade 300x
KS-bagger.
Did I mention beer?
Varc is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #39
litehawkdown
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,403
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Default

If you go MSRX to 450X your gonna hurt someone!
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #40
vertico
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,328
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Default

lol, it should
__________________
130x - X3 - X4II - Goblin 570 - Goblin 630c - Vbar Control
vertico is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)


Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2011 - William James - Helifreak.com