Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

Old 08-08-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
phillx
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Don't Try This At Home!!!

I found this video on the Hobbyking site and was amassed that anybody would hover a heli like that inside while sitting so close.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...b7330156df8bcd
Old 08-08-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
johnsma22
Registered Users

You can't fix stupid! Exhibit A: whirling blades of death mere inches from your melon. Exhibit B: Two small cheesy CRT TV's on an even cheesier 80's vintage entertainment center, LOL!
johnsma22 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
what-d-heli
Registered Users

As someone posted in his comment section, he has his AK-47 ready to shoot it down (heli) just in case it comes his way .

This is just wrong. Just imagine filming your own death if ever something wrong will happen. Can't believe he did that in a small room with lots of stuff around AND sitting down!
what-d-heli is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
johnsma22
Registered Users

That video still pales in comparison to these Darwin Award winners!!! Blinds whipping in the rotor wash, smoke alarm going off and the knowledge that not one of those knuckleheads probably knows just how stupid and dangerous that is!

Again, you can't fix stupid. Stupid tends to take care of itself through natural selection, LOL!

johnsma22 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
phillx
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Wow some people are indeed stupid i was at a party a few years ago when some goon drove his Harley into the lounge and started burning rubber needless to say said goon was treated roughly and ejected painfully

This indoor helicopter trend is worrying but at the end of the day only idiots and their possessions will be harmed

Last edited by phillx; 08-08-2010 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Typo
phillx is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
Mr.Andersen
Registered Users

He should have been here one 1 1/2 year ago after a rebuild of my 450.
Checked the tracking in the basement in a big room without taking off.
Whent outside to do a test flight where the heli just after takeoff tilted back and to the left crashing upside down into the snow (wintertime).
Reason.......an aileron ball had come off the swash.
Imaging something happening to the elevator servo ore elevator link.
Would be a close incounter meat grinder case and even on film.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #7
corona007
Registered Users

What I don't get is that a business is promoting this........LMAO
Old 01-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #8
Generator27
Registered Users

Although I agree, it isnt the wisest of things to do, I have first hand witnessed an experienced pilot flying his heli indoors and hovering less than 2 feet from a 60 foot tv. and I will say, he is by far the most experienced rc heli pilot I have ever seen fly. Watching him fly downtown between buildigs in Calgary Alberta, and knowing if it was me flyin I'd have put it through a window of a sky scraper. He however mercilessly assaulted whatever room he had with a scary precision. Canadian winters are hard to deal with, especially with your hobby being heli, and limited room. So I will never criticize some one trying to fly a heli indoors. like previously mentioned, the only thing at stake are their own posessions. You can call it dumb, but the decision to fly is not my own. I'm not comfortable doing it. But that doesnt mean that others aren't. And if they are willing to risk it, I am definitely game to watch. and Ben, lighting up your 800 with 3 inches on either side of the blade to the desks was insane. But you never took off, and I have some crazy video footage. Not withholding your supreme ability to loiter a 500 heli in a room less than 9 feet across and 8 foot vertical. The noise was defening even for electric, and it furthered my desire to heli way more than you can imagine. I now have an undeveloped basement and rest assured, I am going to give indoor hovering serious consideration. Your ability to fly a heli to this date has not been matched. and BTW... The guy at PM hobbycraft called you crazy pants for even trying to build the 800 into a sikorsky skycrane. I asked about the raised tail mechanics, and nobody elses name came up. Swear to god, you try to light that thing up in your living room again once its in a fuselage and I am moving cities out of fear alone. I`m 6`1 and 210lbs, and your heli scares me more than an axe wielding psychopath. I`ve seen the countless haloween moveies and they had nothing on your abortion of an 800.
Generator27 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
mrultralite
Registered Users

But wait theres MORE! http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...6a856b4ec62045

enjoy learning to hover from the comfort of your easy chair! the Hobby King WAY!
mrultralite is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
dasBlade450
Registered Users

Oy! Vay!
Kinda Like Lee J. Cobb going after Henry Fonda in "12 Angry Men"......
"Awright, awright.....Nobody got hurt....!"
Switchblade knife or heli rotors.....Both will do a job if you let 'em......!
dasBlade450 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
desertstalker
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generator27 View Post
hovering less than 2 feet from a 60 foot tv.
Thats a pretty big TV going to go with 60 inches, unless you have a 18m TV in your living room (would be plenty of space to hover in ).
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
LawnDartHeli
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
Thats a pretty big TV going to go with 60 inches, unless you have a 18m TV in your living room (would be plenty of space to hover in ).
Yeah, for a TV that size Id say you lived in a football stadium..plenty of room in there to fly!
LawnDartHeli is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #13
Generator27
Registered Users

Default Indoor Flying

Well, I think I would be a horrible person for describing the flight AND possessing a video without sharing. So... Here ya go.
I am not the pilot, but it is one of the heli's in my fleet.

http://youtu.be/ZgGYSWHTcGI

I have a few more, if there is any interest in them I'll post them as well.
I dont have the guts to try and fly it in such a confined space, but it was well worth the 4 minutes of entertainment value when a good pilot has the reigns.

If you are wondering, the helicopter on the right is a 7 foot long sikorsky sky crane fuselage that the pilot is building... its quite a sight. The helis on the left are a TREX 500 in a EC135 "police" fuselage a 700 Canopy flyer, and a 700 Stretched into an 800 destined for the skycrane.

I have to give credit to my friend Ben who is both the pilot and owner of some beautiful birds.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #14
GeKu
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generator27 View Post
Well, I think I would be a horrible person for describing the flight AND possessing a video without sharing. So... Here ya go.
I am not the pilot, but it is one of the heli's in my fleet.

http://youtu.be/ZgGYSWHTcGI

I have a few more, if there is any interest in them I'll post them as well.
I dont have the guts to try and fly it in such a confined space, but it was well worth the 4 minutes of entertainment value when a good pilot has the reigns.

If you are wondering, the helicopter on the right is a 7 foot long sikorsky sky crane fuselage that the pilot is building... its quite a sight. The helis on the left are a TREX 500 in a EC135 "police" fuselage a 700 Canopy flyer, and a 700 Stretched into an 800 destined for the skycrane.

I have to give credit to my friend Ben who is both the pilot and owner of some beautiful birds.
Wow, that is just stupid. I don't care who the pilot is and how good he might be. A true friend would not put yourself or himself in such a dangerous position. A pilot can only control the the tx inputs and cannot control any mechanical failures that could have happened. Let alone to stand there and film it as well. "Stupid is as stupid does". I hope you guys are not flying in any public areas or fields because if you are willing to risk you own safety in such close surroundings I'm sure it wouldn't phase you to pull a stunt like this in a public park risking the safety of others that may be passer bys in a public park or area.

Better up your insurance policies cause one day, someone is going to get hurt.
GeKu is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
Generator27
Registered Users

Default Indoor flying

Ive never even flown my blade 400 indoors, I am not confident enough to risk it. Thats what I have an mcpx for. As for outdoor flying, I have a few very secluded outdoor spots that I frequent. I'm sure that since you are also in alberta you can probably name somebody with an acreage. I do believe that the bylaws here in alberta is that you can not do anything in a public place involving rc that is likely to draw attention and or a crowd. As for indoor flying, I am willing to cover repair costs of the heli, but this was at his place not mine, so damages to his personal property are something that he had to weigh in to account. Im not advocating that a heli that big should be flown indoors, but, he was comfortable doing it, and I was comfortable with his skills as a pilot, So I was willing to entertain the concept of trying. If I recall from a similar forum, any damages would have been to our own property and selves, so please, feel free to judge.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #16
GeKu
Registered Users

like I said, you can't control mechanical failures. Yes, repairs can be made to the physical building and structure but injury to yourself? Well as you said you are willing to take that risk.
GeKu is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety