Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters > 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters

500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
lazsyss350
Registered Users

Default Question on running 500 efl with beastx and satilite only.

I have a 500 efl pro on the way from grandrc, I ordered it without the 3gx because I have a beastx v3 sitting at home, but I was wondering if it is safe to run beastx as sat only, has there been an issues setting it up this way, any info will thanks.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
tomd27858
Registered Users

If memory serves, the instructions recommend a separate receiver on anything larger than a 450. Somewhere I have read that using a single satellite isn't a recommended set up for anything larger than a 450. I am conservative and would use a separate receiver.
tomd27858 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
hamstar78
Registered Users

You will be fine i ran a sat only on my x5 which is a 550 and used to take it way far away and never had a signal loss. Many guys run sat only on 500s
Old 04-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
fstclyz
Registered Users

I use a separate satelite for my Beastx and recommend it. The Beastx has a built-in Sat/Antennae but they also recommend a separate Sat in the instructions.
fstclyz is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Chep
Registered Users

It makes sense to spend some extra $30 to keep your $800+ heli flying safely.

Chep
Chep is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
gravydrive
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstclyz View Post
I use a separate satelite for my Beastx and recommend it. The Beastx has a built-in Sat/Antennae but they also recommend a separate Sat in the instructions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chep View Post
It makes sense to spend some extra $30 to keep your $800+ heli flying safely.

Chep
Sounds like OP has the BeastX, not AR7200BX. The BeastX by itself has no receiver capabilities, and can only run one satellite.

You'll "probably" be OK with one satellite. Personally, I would probably switch to the AR7200BX, or run a separate receiver. The satellite wiring is awfully small gauge... Only takes one nick!
gravydrive is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
Ah Clem
Registered Users

To follow up on gravydrive's point:

1) If it is a BeastX, on anything larger than a 450 you should run a receiver and a satellite. This is to prevent "shadowing" (i.e. the signal from the transmitter to the receiver, which is "line of site" from being blocked by the motor, battery, CF structure, etc.).

2) If is is an AR7200BX, (BeastX with built in receiver), you should still run a satellite for the same reason.

Some have reported successfully running just a satellite with a BeastX or just an AR7200BX with no satellite on larger machines. Just because you can get away with doing something does not mean it is the best, or safest practice. This is definitely against the manufacturer's recommendations.

The larger machines are more dangerous, so more precautions should be taken with them for that reason.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
lazsyss350
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
But your talking about the ar7200bx, right? I have the older version v3. I did read a while back that people where running them with single sats I was just wondering if there have been any cases of any issues since then.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
tomd27858
Registered Users

Running one satellite on a Beast X V3 as the OP stated on a 500 is against the manufacturer recommendations. I wouldn't talk him into taking an unnecessary risk.
tomd27858 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
Steemo
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's not really a matter of what you "can" do but more a matter of best practises and safety precautions.

For example: You "can" drive yourself home after drinking a little more than the recommended amount to save a few dollars on a cab and you might be under the limit and you might not hurt yourself or anyone else. But common sense tells us that this practise is stupid and irresponsible.

And consider this. Because I fly under license of the MAAA I have public liability insurance only under certain conditions, one among many of those conditions is to follow best practises when it comes to use of 2.4ghz.
If I were to fly a 500 with a beastx v3 and only 1 sat I would have no cover even if ALL other requirements of insurance were met.

I'm sure you yanks would have similar regulations with public liability.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
fstclyz
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazsyss350 View Post
But your talking about the ar7200bx, right? I have the older version v3. I did read a while back that people where running them with single sats I was just wondering if there have been any cases of any issues since then.
On my Gaui X5, I'm using a AR7200Bx with the satellite. Works great and I wouldn't change a thing. My 500 has the 3Gx with 2 sates. Actually, I recently noticed only one is working so it's getting replaced. It's been flying just fine though. Spend the extra $30 on the sate just to be safe!
fstclyz is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
hamstar78
Registered Users

Quote:
On my Gaui X5, I'm using a AR7200Bx with the satellite. Works great and I wouldn't change a thing. My 500 has the 3Gx with 2 sates. Actually, I recently noticed only one is working so it's getting replaced. It's been flying just fine though. Spend the extra $30 on the sate just to be safe!
he is using the regular beastx not the ar7200bx
Old 04-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
Raydee
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I read a thread earlier today about a guy having a lockout with the beast X and one sat on the 500. Its hard to say but if you go on Spektrum's website they have a diagram of why they want you to use two receivers over one.
Raydee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
blackout19
Registered Users

There are lots of very very good reasons to use two Sat's with anything bigger than a 450. Sure you can 'get away' with just one, maybe for hundreds of flights. But for the sake of the repair costs of a crash, or the potential damage to you or others at the field, is it really worth it?

Also, seems some in this thread are confusing a BeastX with the AR7200BX. The standalone BeastX can only connect to one Sat, so if you want path diversity, you need a seperate Rx and a Sat.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters > 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters

500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.