START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Century

Century Century Helicopters Support

Old 12-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
4Runner
Registered Users

Default Break in / tuning questions

Good evening.. If all goes well with my electronics and servo setup tonight, I should have this thing ready for first flight tomorrow! Now, I would like to find out from the pro's the best method of break in and tuning for the G20 engine, and what oil should I be using? I was thinking Amsoil synthetic 2 stroke, but input on this would be helpful.

Thanks..
Old 12-28-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
MAXHSHV
Registered Users

any good quality synthetic premix oil is fine just make sure you mix it 32 to 1 or richer.run the motor rich for the first gallon try and keep it under 200 degree f, I find that mine performs best when run rich anyways.these motors take along time to break in so take youir time and only short burst of full power for a gallon.land and letting it cool back down and checking temps is what i did for the first 10 tanks or so, till i got a feel of the tuneing,i tune mine so that in a hover i can hear it fourstroke every 1.5 to 2 seconds .and like i said it seams to make it's most power at this setting aswell.
MAXHSHV is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
GyroAl
AKA MotorRotor INOP

I see you are from Vancouver BC. PM Oldfart in the Century forum on RR. I believe he is from around there and he has a lot of experience with the Predator Gas heli, so I am sure he would prove to be very helpful.
GyroAl is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
4Runner
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Perfect guys, thanks.. I will look up Oldfart and go from there, plus I will pick up a good thermometer.. Hopefully I will get the first couple of flights done today! Depends if my local hobby shop has those spark plugs..

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
tarin1967
Registered Users

Default Starting

A question for those who have experience with gassers.

I have tried starting my G20 and it will not fire. I have pulled out the spark plug and it appears to produce a spark. The electronic unit heats up. Fuel appears to be getting to the carbie.

I am running a 1650 Mah NiMh ignition battery. The motor is stock out from the box.
As per the Radikal manual, the sensor is on the same side as the carbie, does this matter?

What can I be doing wrong that the motor will even fire?

Any help, tips welcome.

Cheers
tarin1967 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
Rodney
Registered Users

Will make any firing noise at all? POPS or anything.
Lithuim Ion Dual Pack For Radikal
Rodney is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:13 AM   #7
imora99
Registered Users

Default Radikal G20 brand new engine quitting.

Many thanks to all for a forum/thread like this with so much info.
This is my first engined heli (flown electrics only) and since I finished putting it together I am having a hard time keeping the engine running.
This is what happens:
I hit the starter about 5 or 6 times and the engine starts. Idles fine and everything looks normal. After a few moments I increase throttle and revs up fine, then suddenly engine stops. Try to start it (5, 6, 7 times hit it with the starter) again to no avail. Let it stay there for a while (an hour or so...) start it again and this time it starts after a few hits with the starter just as it did the first time. After a few minutes (3 or 4) it quits again.
It seems to me that for some reason the engine quits when it begins to warm up and runs again once it has cooled down. This sequence has happened every time I try to start it, so engine is new, not even a half a tank I've been able to burn.
I am running 32:1 gas/oil mixture, needles are set as per manual (L: 1 1/8, H: 1 1/2 turns), ignition is stock, muffler is torpedo slim, 4.8V. NiMh for the ignition.
Any suggestions/ideas will be greatly appreciated as I have had it for 6 months now and I am dying to at least get it to hover.
Regards,
David
imora99 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
ngin
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by imora99 View Post
Many thanks to all for a forum/thread like this with so much info.
This is my first engined heli (flown electrics only) and since I finished putting it together I am having a hard time keeping the engine running.
This is what happens:
I hit the starter about 5 or 6 times and the engine starts. Idles fine and everything looks normal. After a few moments I increase throttle and revs up fine, then suddenly engine stops. Try to start it (5, 6, 7 times hit it with the starter) again to no avail. Let it stay there for a while (an hour or so...) start it again and this time it starts after a few hits with the starter just as it did the first time. After a few minutes (3 or 4) it quits again.
It seems to me that for some reason the engine quits when it begins to warm up and runs again once it has cooled down. This sequence has happened every time I try to start it, so engine is new, not even a half a tank I've been able to burn.
I am running 32:1 gas/oil mixture, needles are set as per manual (L: 1 1/8, H: 1 1/2 turns), ignition is stock, muffler is torpedo slim, 4.8V. NiMh for the ignition.
Any suggestions/ideas will be greatly appreciated as I have had it for 6 months now and I am dying to at least get it to hover.
Regards,
David
Sounds like the battery that you are using for your EI is not up to the task. I would try a different pack. You say it is using a 4.8V NiMh pack. The G20 EI operates at a prett high current level. There are many types of MiMh packs, some are not able to deliver the current (amps) that are required by the Zenoah G20 EI system.

Last edited by ngin; 04-20-2012 at 01:27 AM..
ngin is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #9
imora99
Registered Users

Hi Ngin, thank you for your suggestion. I will try with another pack. I will use a 2 cell Lipo with a Voltage regulator down to a 4.8 V. I hope that takes care of the problem.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #10
imora99
Registered Users

Thanks Ngin.

I will try with another pack, 2 Cell Lipo and a voltage regulator.

Will see what happens.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #11
ngin
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by imora99 View Post
Thanks Ngin.

I will try with another pack, 2 Cell Lipo and a voltage regulator.

Will see what happens.
You are welcome & Good luck - I hope it works.
ngin is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Century

Century Century Helicopters Support