Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
Prof. Penguin
Registered Users

Default Tail Motor Overheating

I had the Mcpx out yesterday and all was well until about 4 min into the flight I was hovering when the heli went into a full on, no tail rotor, death spin...

I picked it up, brushed it off, and spooled up in my hand to check out the tail motor and everything looked fine; the motor plug was fully inserted, rotor was spinning, no binding, no smoke in the canopy region.

I put it back up in the air and about a minute later it did it again. I was properly baffled at this point until I felt the tail motor which was extremely hot. I let it cool down, double checked to make sure there were no shorts in the wires or anything else visible and it flew for about four minutes until it heated up again and went down.

I have probably between 50-150 flights on this tail motor which doesn't seem to be a whole lot but perhaps its wearing out. Is overheating a normal characteristic of worn-out brushed motors? Should I just replace it and call it a day? Is there anything else that could be causing it to overheat?

I was thinking about replacing it with a mcx2 ccw motor, is that still the best choice? I really don't mind spending the extra 5$ for a stock tail motor if they are any better. Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

EXI 450 Pro - Spartan Quark, AR7000, Hobbywing Platinum 40A, Turnigy Typhoon
Prof. Penguin is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Naito
Registered Users

Mcx2 ccw motor and a longer boom will do wonders.
HH themselves released a stock long boom version not long ago, I don't remember the part number for it tho. If. You get another complete boom, make it the extended version.
mCPx "super"-DualBL - BLHeli 4.1, XP7a(3xFET)/HP06v2/8T, XP3a/HP03t,3xSPMSA2030L 2.3g servos
Naito is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
tommy217xxx
Registered Users

I'm pretty sure my tail motors dont really get to hot, maybe a little warm. I've always used the stock tail motor on a brushed setup. I use the mcx2 motors on my dual coreless tail setups. I think it is the CCW motor but I'm not really to sure on that.
MCPX BL(#1 V1 Hp05s/120SR tail, V1 C05m/Dual coreless tail)
Nano cpx stock
Trex 450 Pro, Spektrum Dx6i, Phoenix
tommy217xxx is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
CrashandBurn
Registered Users

I actually took apart my tail motor last night,the brushes are microscopic. I'm surprised how long they do last.
CrashandBurn is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
Prof. Penguin
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Naito: I have an extended solid boom and it does indeed rock. I think a Mcx2 ccw is what I will upgrade to.

CrashandBurn: Would worn brushes cause a motor to overheat?

EXI 450 Pro - Spartan Quark, AR7000, Hobbywing Platinum 40A, Turnigy Typhoon
Prof. Penguin is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
panos80
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Penguin View Post
I had the Mcpx out yesterday and all was well until about 4 min into the flight I was hovering when the heli went into a full on, no tail rotor, death spin...

I put it back up in the air and about a minute later it did it again. I was properly baffled at this point until I felt the tail motor which was extremely hot. I let it cool down, double checked to make sure there were no shorts in the wires or anything else visible and it flew for about four minutes until it heated up again and went down.

I have the same problem, but with the brushless version of mCPX... Suddenly, in mid-air it started spinning and the tail motor was extremely hot! I think it even melted the plastic case holding it... I have done just ~20 flights and can't understand what's wrong.

I have a spare tail boom. Do you think I should replace it, in case there's some problem with the wires? I kind of broke the tail in its maiden flight and maybe that could have removed the insulation and cause short-circuit? It flew perfectly, however, after the crash for ~20 flights...

Alternatively, could the problem be in the motor itself? Or, worse, in the 3-in-1 unit? I think some chips on the 3-in-1 unit are somehow "deformed"...! Anyone else having/had similar problem?

Thanks
panos80 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
danb1974
Registered Users

Tail rotor may be too close to motor and rubbing, or deformed after the crash (compare it with the spare one). Or dirt / very little pebbles got into the motor between rotor and windings when you crashed.
danb1974 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
ronj
Registered Users

I have found that brushed motors that get almost too hot to touch are done and need to be replaced. I think it is time for you to get a new one. I have a mcx ccw motor but have not had to use it yet so can't comment on them, yet.
PK T-28 Trojan, PZ Icon A5, SloBoat, Sea Monkey
ronj is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
BladeScraper
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Are these mCX2 CCW Motors as good as people make it seem? I may get one... are they PNP?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BladeScraper is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
dr dremel
Registered Users

I found that the stock motors are hit and miss in this regard. Some overheated and only last a few flights, some only got warm and lasted much longer. The mcx CCW motors are the exact same motors as stock. Ive since gone with the aftermarket 7mm motors (5$ a piece from Dylan/Astroid) and never looked back. This is on a mild BL conversion.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
panos80
Registered Users

Thanks for all the information guys!

I'll start by getting a new motor (note that this is brushless, not brushed).

@dr_dremel Can you send me a link of those mCX CCW motors you're talking about, to check them out? Are they brushless? Can I use them in the brushless version of mCPX?
Old 10-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
BladeScraper
Registered Users

My HF Map location

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
panos80
Registered Users

Thanks Bladescraper! Are you sure I can use this motor with mCPX BL? It doesn't look like brushless...
Old 10-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
dr dremel
Registered Users

Wrong forum panos. This is the regular mcpx section, this tail will not work on a BL. You should make a new thread here:

http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=325
Old 10-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
BladeScraper
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You can use them in a brushless mCP X, but not the mCP X BL

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help