Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:39 AM   #1
lolek74
Registered Users

Default Need new heli

Hi all
I'm new and noob so please be nice.

I put together CopterX Black Angel helicopter:
- Scorpion HK-2221-6 V2 4400KV Motor with 12T pinion
- 3x Hitec HS-65MG Mighty Feather Micro Servo (metal gears)
- Castle Creations Lite Ice 75A ESC + programming card
- FUTABA GY401 + S9257 Mini Digital Servo

This is nice heli. Now thinking of getting Aurora 9 to go with it. Borrowed my mates DX6i and lightly crashed heli twice. To be honest when the heli is at the full power it scares me.
I'm thinking of selling it and just get a mini indoor heli that can also be used outside in non windy day as well.
I'm looking at Walkera V120D02S Flybarless 6, walkera genius cp and Blade MCPX v2.
I want something stable and capable of 3d flying. I'm just learning but I want to be able to do 3D once I master the basics.
I know most of forum members got years in the air experience and I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction.
Should I keep BA, get A9 and learn that way or should I get something smaller that is durable and learn that way.
lolek74 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Big_Maxx
Registered Users

the mcpx is always a great choice. i have only been flying on and off for 2 years and could only hover my 450 then a few months ago i got the mcpx and now i can do forward flight hover in all orientations loops rolls and yesterday i had my first sustained inverted hover (about 4 seconds lol but its progressing) as for the other ones I've never flown them so no comment on those. but the mcpx is almost unbreakable as long as your flying over grass and hit throttle hold before you hit the ground if your gonna crash.

I don't believe in addiction... but i'm addicted to RC!!!
Big_Maxx is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
osyhaz
Registered Users

I think you should wait a little for the release of the Blade 130.
But your setup, a scorpion 4400kv 75a esc and 12t pinion for a newbee is evil man.
When I started 3D I felt so comfortable with kind of low rpm. It is very good for learning flips, rolls, and some funels. I use the same motor as you in a 450 sport but with a 50a esc and 11t and that is a lot of rpm man. I cant imagine using 12t, it should sound scary to me...

You should consider go down on your pinion before changing your heli size. I use 450 because biggers helis kinds of scares me like you (also more expensive to repair... ). The 450 still gives very close performance to bigger helis and you have very good electronics, enough for almost any 3D pilot. So no more upgrades needed in my point of view. Give it a try with lower rpms first...
osyhaz is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
lolek74
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I was also considering getting a standard CopterX motor but maybe installing 10-11 pinion or perhaps I should keep 12T but restrict max RPM to say 80% - 90%. What would be better option?
Also will A9 be good for my setup. I only ever used cheap generic radios. I read that it is a great radio but it has a high latency. It said to be around 50ms. According to THIS it will be hard to notice it. I was thinking about Futaba 8fg but it is a tad too expensive. A9 $399 and 8fg $490. Is the Futaba really worth an extra $$$?

I might get a Phoenix simulator for some practice.
lolek74 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.