START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

Old 05-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
SeaHawk
Registered Users

Default Loss of radio response when Kontronic 120 HV connected

Just putting together new electric. When bench checking with only the receiver pack plugged in, the servos all work normally. Receiver pack is 5.2V Durillte, it is
connected to the battery port in the receiver.
When I also connect my LiPo flight batteries I suddenly lose any response to the servos as if all the power had been removed. The Kontronic 120HV is putting out 5.6 volts. I have the master output connected to the receiver throttle port and the slave in aux 4....I believe
the Kontronic manual says I can put slave connector to any open receiver port. (I don't know what that slave connector accomplishes if anyone can shed any light on it).

Once I experience the servos going 'dead' the only way I can get them to respond again is to bring the transmitter within about 6 feet of the helicopter. And then, the servos work again until the radio is moved further away again.
Anyone ever experienced this? I suspect it could be a receiver issue, so I'll be trying a different one tonight. But, because the receiver worked fine until the ESC was
Introduced, I thought I'd run the situation by the more experienced here. I'm a novice to electrics.
SeaHawk is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
crhelipad
Registered Users

Default im not sure but

I think you have to pull out the red wire(s) from the the master and or slave . if i remember the video saying you will fry your esc if you dont

I think maybe the multiple voltages is causing some kind interference
I would start here first
crhelipad is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
SimStream
Registered Users

Ditch the receiver pack and save some weight !
SimStream is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
SeaHawk
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

This is where I have some confusion. In the video, about the 10 minute mark, Mr. Mel warns that if you introduce an external BEC …putting out 8.4 volts… you have to disconnect the power side (red wire) from the lead coming from the Kontronics master connector. I was under the impression from what I had researched/read about elsewhere…this disconnection was only necessary if you were using voltages higher than the default 5.6 volts that normally comes out of the Kontronic BEC. And, on page 15 of the instructions (safety notes) is says, “When using a BEC, it is necessary to connect a charged receiver battery with enough capacity in parallel (see BEC). Otherwise a broken wire, broken battery, loose of contact or a defect of one electronic BEC part may result in total loss of the receiver system.
Also, under section 4.2 it says, in large bold type, “For safety reasons a four cell NiCd/NiMH
battery must be connected to the receiver in parallel to the BEC. Also “For BEC voltages exceeding 5.6V a redundant receiver AC (I think they meant DC) current supply should be connected. Using this ESC without BEC is possible by pulling the red receiver cable off the connector or by ripping this cable.

I'm only using the default 5.6V setting out of the Kontronic ESC. I'll try the ESC without the receiver pack plugged in to see if that eliminates the problem in my original post. But, I still am not clear, because of what the manual says as quoted above, whether I should also have my 5.2 volt flight battery also plugged in the receiver. I did note that Mr. Mel makes no mention of the "requirement" to add the receiver pack in his video.
Am I misreading what is intended in the manual?????
Old 05-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
SeaHawk
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

concerning my original post. Tried different crystals, same problem. Ended up changing the receiver, problem went away. The receiver I was trying was bought for $25 last year and never put in the air. It was a PCM10S. Replaced with receiver type that came with my PCM10X radio, a R955S and no problems.
Kind of a weird problem in that the receiver worked great until the LiPo flight battery was introduced. Luckily, I'm only out $25 and not the money for a major heli repair.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support