Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Multi Rotor Helicopters


Multi Rotor Helicopters Multi Rotor Helicopters Info and Support - Tandem, Quadcopters, Tricopters, Octocopters, and Hexacopters


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
petedee
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,985
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Default DJI450/Naza new build

I finished a new build this afternoon with the DJI450 frame, with one of the old 2200mh 3S packs I did 9 minutes of basic hovering and check of the controls in the back yard. I also hovered it about a metre from the ground and turned the Tx off, it went into failsafe mode and auto landed and turned the motors off a few seconds after landing, pretty happy with that.

Looks like the new 1100kv motors with 9x4.7 props is more efficient as I had hoped, control is solid as well, ESC's were cold as was the battery at the completion of the 9 minutes.

The DJi Flamewheel frame is very easy to put together as others have shown with their full build videos, it has an inbuilt power distro on the lower deck, this makes the install of all the gear in between the decks very easy, I have added a 500 size heli skid to keep it up out of the dirt and grass and have added a housing for my GoPro camera but hope to be able to add a small pitch and roll mount to use this feature of the Naza.

Naza setup is standard out of the box settings at the moment, I have the att and manual mode adjustable via the gear switch.

New motors are Turnigy D2830-11 1000kv's, old motors were same series in a 1450kv version with 8 inch props.

Props are Slow Fly Electric 9047 in green and black, they are Gemfan branded and very close to balance out of the pack.

ESC's are Hobbywing Funfly 18 amp, all of them have the positive lead disconnected.

Spektrum DX8 Tx and AR8000 Rx

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI450-1.jpg
Views:	3987
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	311699  
__________________
Blackout Spider Hex, TBS Discovery Pro, Spanky250, Q400-X
DX18,14SGH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something."
-- Mitch Hedberg
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
sugs
Registered Users
 
Posts: 139
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Default

Looks good pete, what heli gear is that? Been thinking about doing the same thing.
sugs is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
quad2quad
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia Sydney
Default Naza & the Spektrum

I noticed petedee you have a Naza talking to a Spektrum radio just wondering is there something I am missing as when I go into the setup assistant it talks about putting your transmitter in acrobatic mode ?? Which I cannot find any settings to do this step ?

I noticed that the receiver has no power to it so I am unable to calibrate anything too.

I have downloaded the drivers & registered with Naza using a standard Acro on the radio also disconnected the red wire on the ESC which I think is odd and cant find anything much on what I may have done wrong any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
quad2quad is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
petedee
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,985
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
Looks good pete, what heli gear is that? Been thinking about doing the same thing.
This one is a from one of the Hobby King 500's, cost was about $5 for the for the skid pipes and supports, just added it to my last order, very strong as well.
__________________
Blackout Spider Hex, TBS Discovery Pro, Spanky250, Q400-X
DX18,14SGH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something."
-- Mitch Hedberg
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
petedee
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,985
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad2quad View Post
I noticed petedee you have a Naza talking to a Spektrum radio just wondering is there something I am missing as when I go into the setup assistant it talks about putting your transmitter in acrobatic mode ?? Which I cannot find any settings to do this step ?

I noticed that the receiver has no power to it so I am unable to calibrate anything too.

I have downloaded the drivers & registered with Naza using a standard Acro on the radio also disconnected the red wire on the ESC which I think is odd and cant find anything much on what I may have done wrong any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
It simply means Airplane (acro) or Heli mode, you can use either but I think I prefer acro mode just a little more than heli mode. The setting will be under model type, what radio do you have?

The VU unit must have the red and black wire connected up to your battery power, the VU unit then supplies BEC power to the MU and through that to the Rx. You must have your battery connected to program the unit, make sure you have props off or one lead disconnected from each motor in case they start unexpectedly.

Let me know how you go.

Pete
__________________
Blackout Spider Hex, TBS Discovery Pro, Spanky250, Q400-X
DX18,14SGH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something."
-- Mitch Hedberg
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:04 AM   #6
Brad_striker
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne
Default

Will a 5000mah battery be to much for this with a gopro attached

Cheers brad
Brad_striker is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #7
petedee
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,985
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Default

It would lift it just fine and be very stable, my all up weight is around 1.2kg with GoPro but I know others are lifting more than 1.5Kg with a similar configuration, with a 5000mh pack it will probably be only 1.5-1.7Kg I would think.
__________________
Blackout Spider Hex, TBS Discovery Pro, Spanky250, Q400-X
DX18,14SGH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something."
-- Mitch Hedberg
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
quad2quad
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia Sydney
Default

Thanks for that Petedee I have progressed a little further nice picture of your recent addition to your Quad family.

Just want to know if your settings are on the radio mine being a Spektrum DX8 I have set it up in the Naza software assistant as

Throttle = Normal
Rudder = Reversed
Elevator = Normal
Ailerons = Reversed

I suspect I have issues with the ESC as I am running Turnigy Dlux 70Amp ESC (yeah Huge but part of a bigger project)

Currently rechecking the settings on the ESC as it seems like one motors (Turnigy SK3 920KV) seems reluctant to play and spins up but not enough to correct it before it trys to flip.

Motor sequence is correct Direction & props have been rechecked like about 10 times but I also notice some ESC are not compatible with the Naza.

I also have some RCTIMER 40 Amp ESC's that I may swap over if I cant get it to work would really like your input or thoughts about why I am still grounded ?

Anyways just a side note A huge thanks to yourself (Petedee) plus Tahoe Ed I have read a lot of your posts & you guys and many others are way too cool a big thumbs up from me

Oh and thanks again guys
quad2quad is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
petedee
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,985
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Default

Here is some video in the back yard.


__________________
Blackout Spider Hex, TBS Discovery Pro, Spanky250, Q400-X
DX18,14SGH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something."
-- Mitch Hedberg
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
petedee
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,985
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad2quad View Post
Thanks for that Petedee I have progressed a little further nice picture of your recent addition to your Quad family.

Just want to know if your settings are on the radio mine being a Spektrum DX8 I have set it up in the Naza software assistant as

Throttle = Normal
Rudder = Reversed
Elevator = Normal
Ailerons = Reversed

I suspect I have issues with the ESC as I am running Turnigy Dlux 70Amp ESC (yeah Huge but part of a bigger project)

Currently rechecking the settings on the ESC as it seems like one motors (Turnigy SK3 920KV) seems reluctant to play and spins up but not enough to correct it before it trys to flip.

Motor sequence is correct Direction & props have been rechecked like about 10 times but I also notice some ESC are not compatible with the Naza.

I also have some RCTIMER 40 Amp ESC's that I may swap over if I cant get it to work would really like your input or thoughts about why I am still grounded ?

Anyways just a side note A huge thanks to yourself (Petedee) plus Tahoe Ed I have read a lot of your posts & you guys and many others are way too cool a big thumbs up from me

Oh and thanks again guys
Always my pleasure to pass on any info I can.

Same settings as I use on my DX8 so should be okay.

You can get variations in motors and ESC's, best thing to do is to swap the motors and ESC's around and isolate if you have a dud unit, if you have a programming card make sure it is not set to super soft start or something similar.

If you have not done so already I find that running the calibration individually the best way.

I have some cheap SS ESC's that don't work with the Naza, the Naza needs ESC's with higher timing rate.

The RC Timer ESC's appear to be same as the HobbyWing's, would be worth giving them a try I think, those 70A units are pretty hefty.

Cheers.

Pete
__________________
Blackout Spider Hex, TBS Discovery Pro, Spanky250, Q400-X
DX18,14SGH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something."
-- Mitch Hedberg
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
sugs
Registered Users
 
Posts: 139
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedee View Post
This one is a from one of the Hobby King 500's, cost was about $5 for the for the skid pipes and supports, just added it to my last order, very strong as well.
Thanks for the suggestion Pete. I picked up a set of gear for the Align Trex 600 and put it on today. Plenty of room for a camera now.
sugs is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #12
petedee
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,985
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Default

Looking forward to seeing some photo's then.
__________________
Blackout Spider Hex, TBS Discovery Pro, Spanky250, Q400-X
DX18,14SGH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something."
-- Mitch Hedberg
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 AM   #13
quad2quad
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia Sydney
Default Sweet

Got airborne today finally after many crashes different boards quads etc etc.

Thanks for your input with the radio settings it was yet another process of elimination.

Found some odd settings in the ESC which is baffling as I had set them all the same & yet 2 had some different settings.

Anyways only a short flight & pretty sure I fried a motor due to the fact of a heavy quad (2kgs) will have to scale things down I guess.

One motor makes a nice whine when its under load now but it is a Turnigy SK3 Aerodrive which I have had nothing but grief with these motors a total of 4 dead now 3 on Arrival out of 7 go Hobbyking hey

Love the video cant believe the cat is so calm but known Canberra its probably too cold to move

Thanks again you guys have helped us Quaddies heaps
quad2quad is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
sugs
Registered Users
 
Posts: 139
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedee View Post
Looking forward to seeing some photo's then.
I'll try and get a photo sometime this weekend.
sugs is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
petedee
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,985
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad2quad View Post
Got airborne today finally after many crashes different boards quads etc etc.

Thanks for your input with the radio settings it was yet another process of elimination.

Found some odd settings in the ESC which is baffling as I had set them all the same & yet 2 had some different settings.

Anyways only a short flight & pretty sure I fried a motor due to the fact of a heavy quad (2kgs) will have to scale things down I guess.

One motor makes a nice whine when its under load now but it is a Turnigy SK3 Aerodrive which I have had nothing but grief with these motors a total of 4 dead now 3 on Arrival out of 7 go Hobbyking hey

Love the video cant believe the cat is so calm but known Canberra its probably too cold to move

Thanks again you guys have helped us Quaddies heaps
Bad luck with the motors, I am running Turnigy motors and they have been excellent so far but they are not the aerodrives.

Did you watch long enough to see him fall out of the tree?

Not so cold yet but it will get colder......
__________________
Blackout Spider Hex, TBS Discovery Pro, Spanky250, Q400-X
DX18,14SGH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something."
-- Mitch Hedberg
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:02 AM   #16
quad2quad
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia Sydney
Default Sox do fall down

Your right I didnt see the rest of the video I was in a hurry to go to work (which is odd)

But all I can say is the quad is real stable if it was me flying I think you would know I was laughing when the cat was doing his Tarzan thing falling out of the tree.

Too funny.

I hope to post some video soon just have to wait for my motors

Cheers for now

quad2quad is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
petedee
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,985
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Default

It wasn't well edited, just wanted to get something up. Hopefully the weather will be good Sunday morning, a group of us fly at one of the local fields Sunday mornings so hopefully get some better footage.
__________________
Blackout Spider Hex, TBS Discovery Pro, Spanky250, Q400-X
DX18,14SGH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something."
-- Mitch Hedberg
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #18
sugs
Registered Users
 
Posts: 139
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Default





Here ya go Pete. Camera is a cheap Vivitar that I just picked up to experiment with.
sugs is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:26 AM   #19
petedee
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,985
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Default

Thanks for posting these, great to see other DJI450's.
__________________
Blackout Spider Hex, TBS Discovery Pro, Spanky250, Q400-X
DX18,14SGH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something."
-- Mitch Hedberg
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #20
jeremy cooksey
Registered Users
 
Posts: 370
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: savannah tn.
Default

heres my vc 450 with the dji naza. i love this quad but my flight times are about 4.30 mins. i would like to get longer flight times. i am running the gaui 330xs motors and gaui 330xs 10 amp escs with 9x4.5 slow flyer apc props. any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2451.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	316712  
__________________
jbob
jeremy cooksey is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Multi Rotor Helicopters


Multi Rotor Helicopters Multi Rotor Helicopters Info and Support - Tandem, Quadcopters, Tricopters, Octocopters, and Hexacopters

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2011 - William James - Helifreak.com