Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

Old 05-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
anmatheextreme
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Just joined the X club!

Hello guys,

I am very happy today as I went to the LHS and bought that 450x, couldnt hold myself. I fed up with my modded FBL B400, which always had a problem, whether it was clicking belt, wobble, tail wag etc. I will be maidening in a couple of hours, lets hope I won't crash it

I have a leftover HSG-5084MG tail servo from the Blade 400 and I will feel more confortable to have it on my tail instead of the eflite one. DO you guys think I should change the stock one?
All in all, it is a lot lighter than the 400 I had and finally I see some metal out of the box and the quality seems pretty good to me, but that will be checked as time goes by.

Some more questions, where are you guys running your Throttle Curves and what HS should I expect? Also, will the stock cyclics hold up or will start stripping and burning in-flight like the old ones the 400 had? What else do you do before you maiden it?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
whodothevoodoo
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have about 10 flights on mine now, and I'm pretty impressed. It's more responsive than a B400 and the servos are better quality. I haven't changed any parts yet, other than the landing gear. However I do have Align 325 3G blades and some KBDD tail blades waiting in the wings.

I'd fly it the way it comes unless you plan to do some hard 3D right out of the box. Mine was flawless and continues to fly without incident, but I'm just a rookie so very smooth FFF and no 3D of any kind. My tail has been rock solid, but maybe I just got lucky.

The only thing I'd really recommend right off is to leave it in TX mode (factory default) and drop the '0' position dual rates down to at least 60 and +30 expo for the first flight.
Other than checking the main blades for balance (mine were good) and making sure everything else is flight ready, you should be good to go. Oh, make sure the beastX is stuck down tight, and the tail belt has good tension.

My first flight was at 85 on the DRs and 0 on expo...wow that was a thrill. Someone asked how the tail rotor felt after the first flight and I had to admit I didn't know becasue it was so solid I never touched it...well that and I had my hands full.

One thing I do like is that someone on here recommended a change of landing skid to a Align Trex 500 set(AGNH50047). I have those on mine and like 'em very much. That makes it sit about a 1/2" higher and gives about 1.5" more width and makes landings much more stable.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid
whodothevoodoo is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
azezeil
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmatheextreme View Post
Hello guys,

I am very happy today as I went to the LHS and bought that 450x, couldnt hold myself. I fed up with my modded FBL B400, which always had a problem, whether it was clicking belt, wobble, tail wag etc. I will be maidening in a couple of hours, lets hope I won't crash it

I have a leftover HSG-5084MG tail servo from the Blade 400 and I will feel more confortable to have it on my tail instead of the eflite one. DO you guys think I should change the stock one?
All in all, it is a lot lighter than the 400 I had and finally I see some metal out of the box and the quality seems pretty good to me, but that will be checked as time goes by.

Some more questions, where are you guys running your Throttle Curves and what HS should I expect? Also, will the stock cyclics hold up or will start stripping and burning in-flight like the old ones the 400 had? What else do you do before you maiden it?
I personally wouldn't mess with the servo's until you crash it. Believe it or not, the stock servo's are plently for this heli, their only downfall is that they're not durable. The tail servo is quite a good match for it and the most durable so if you're doing any replacing I'd do the cyclic ones first.
azezeil is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Talesin
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmatheextreme View Post
Hello guys,

Welcome to the club! Don't worry; even in 100% D/R, INH expo it's a wonderful heli and easier to fly than an mCPX in my opinion. Just takes a LOT more room.

Quote:
Nope. The stock tail is a very high quality piece, and works well. I'd fly it as-is out of the box and decide afterward; the tail stops hard and doesn't bounce or drift at all. The stocker runs at 270hz, while the HSG-5084MG runs at 333hz... I wouldn't bother unless you end up having a problem, aside from erratic tail shake out of nowhere.. seems that's usually either poor blade balancing with the BX trying to compensate for unexpected vibrations, or incorrect belt tightness.

Quote:
Horizon said 3600rpm headspeed at zero pitch in idle-up, but 3200 is more realistic (4200kV * 11.1V / (140/10 = 14:1 gear ratio) = 3330 rpm maximum, minus efficiency losses). If they were using an 11-tooth pinion (instead of the stock 10T that comes with the 450 X) their number would be accurate (3662 rpm minus efficiency losses).
The stock cyclics seems to hold up until you tap a blade against the ground; at which point all three usually strip. So long as all the blades touch is air, it seems you're golden no matter how hard you are on them.
Set up the TX per the manual settings, charge the battery, bind, and fly. Some people will loctite everything and/or re-lube all the moving parts and/or do a bench setup; I didn't find that necessary, flew like a dream right out of the package.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
anmatheextreme
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks a lot guys you got me going. Well maiden went good, but there were two things that concerned me.
First was that at backward flight the tail felt a little weak and when I was going really fast, it once responded very slowly to my command then it continued to piro well. A change of the tail blades to the Align longer ones and it didnt appear again. I later noticed that E-flite shipped my heli with a very very tight belt tension, so much that it was reducing the blade stop time. Once I loosened it by ever so slightly to where it should be, it just gained almost 2x blade stop time on hand turning the head. Too bad I was out of batteries so I will probably test tomorrow. The question is, can this really effect tail performance on backward flight? And is it why my motor run a little hotter than usual?

Another thing I found after I had finishhed all batteries at home is that half of the head links where in backwards. Thank God nothing poped off in flight. Idk if its a single incidence with this machine...

But all in all, its a great upgrade over the mcpx and the Blade 400 FBL I had, which had a so annoying tail bobble and tail wag I couldnt get rid of. Defenately more power, I can do tic tocs without the heli start droping after a while (I didnt really need to manage the collective so much). I am very happy with this purchase. lets hope I will learn something from this heli.

PS: I also didnt bother lubing and loctiting, seems that the factory did a pretty good job at that.
The bad thing I have found on this heli is the canopy colour, its a pain to see in the air. Imay order the B450 3D one or go straight on the new Fusuno one, I really like it.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:35 AM   #6
Talesin
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes, an over-tight tail belt can cause extra drag on the motor. The motor tends to run a little warm, but I haven't had mine come down over 140F (according to my IR thermometer) even with aggressive flying in full-time idle-up. Once you fly it with the tail tension set right, check again. Running over-warm can be a failing main bearing (problem with the 440H motor; sometimes the main shaft will rotate against the main bearing, instead of rotating the inner race... most people either dab it with Loctite or some CA if they're worried about it).

The pitch/servo link ends are reversible; they can be put on from either side, per an HH rep. These aren't Align parts.

Know what you mean on the blue/white canopy; have the red one on order from Horizon.

Tags
ar7200bx, blade 450x, eflite, head speed, servos

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help