Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters


Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #21
FerretMaster
Registered Users
 
Posts: 152
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Casa Grande, AZ USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFastMike View Post
Well... nixed the cable drive, reading about several failures kind of makes it pointless if everyone ends up with torque tube. So I've got the scale frames enroute to lower the tail drive along with the rest of the required tt angle drive bits. So it's hurry up and wait...
On the subject of frame sides....where did you get them from.....come on now....name your source, we have ways of making you talk!!
__________________
Hello....My name is Dave.....and I'm a Heli addict.
Scale, A-109 (HK 450) Scale AH-1W (TT 325)
Scale, AH-64 (FHH 500) Scale, A-109 (FHH 500)
Scale, SH-60 (HK500)(building) Scale, Mi-24 (HK 600)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FerretMaster is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #22
GoFastMike
Registered Users
 
Posts: 90
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretMaster View Post
Great to hear GFM!!
<snip>
Oops....just looked back on the thread and saw the low frame drive location.....Crow tastes fine with enough tequila!!
Anything tastes good with tequila!

And yeah, there's no way to do a tt with the high mount frame. I keep thinking that with a sturdy, straight shot on all the tail mechanics, a low head speed, things should hold together. Famous last words....
__________________
Mike
buncha helis
GoFastMike is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #23
FerretMaster
Registered Users
 
Posts: 152
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Casa Grande, AZ USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFastMike View Post
Well... nixed the cable drive, reading about several failures kind of makes it pointless if everyone ends up with torque tube. So I've got the scale frames enroute to lower the tail drive along with the rest of the required tt angle drive bits. So it's hurry up and wait...
On the subject of frame sides....where did you get them from.....come on now....name your source, we have ways of making you talk!!
__________________
Hello....My name is Dave.....and I'm a Heli addict.
Scale, A-109 (HK 450) Scale AH-1W (TT 325)
Scale, AH-64 (FHH 500) Scale, A-109 (FHH 500)
Scale, SH-60 (HK500)(building) Scale, Mi-24 (HK 600)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FerretMaster is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #24
GoFastMike
Registered Users
 
Posts: 90
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretMaster View Post
On the subject of frame sides....where did you get them from.....come on now....name your source, we have ways of making you talk!!

http://grandrc.chainreactionweb.com/index.html

They're Align framesides... and you need 2. Cha-ching.
__________________
Mike
buncha helis
GoFastMike is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #25
FerretMaster
Registered Users
 
Posts: 152
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Casa Grande, AZ USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFastMike View Post
http://grandrc.chainreactionweb.com/index.html

They're Align framesides... and you need 2. Cha-ching.
Oooooh.......$$$$$ I knew Align liked their parts and $130.00 kind of proves it...especially if you need to re-do the TT drive in addition.

Maybe Kin is on to something here.

Still looking for a CopterX or some other clone to make the "scale" frame side. They make them, just not offering them for sale as separate upgrade items.

Time to start an email campaign?
__________________
Hello....My name is Dave.....and I'm a Heli addict.
Scale, A-109 (HK 450) Scale AH-1W (TT 325)
Scale, AH-64 (FHH 500) Scale, A-109 (FHH 500)
Scale, SH-60 (HK500)(building) Scale, Mi-24 (HK 600)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FerretMaster is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #26
FerretMaster
Registered Users
 
Posts: 152
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Casa Grande, AZ USA
Default

Did a bit of online searching and this is the best price I found for the HF5009 scale frames.


http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/500...me-p-8280.html

At $55.40 USD, not a bad savings!

Hope this helps someone out there!!

Oh....and order two.
__________________
Hello....My name is Dave.....and I'm a Heli addict.
Scale, A-109 (HK 450) Scale AH-1W (TT 325)
Scale, AH-64 (FHH 500) Scale, A-109 (FHH 500)
Scale, SH-60 (HK500)(building) Scale, Mi-24 (HK 600)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FerretMaster is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #27
GoFastMike
Registered Users
 
Posts: 90
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Default

Well, made some progress... have it fitting pretty well in the fuse, things look pretty straight and secure. Then I yanked it all out again and reassembled as simple pod and boom. Sure looks strange. It has a 780 gyro on right now, haven't conjured up a beastx yet... and I'm pretty nervous about spooling it up. What do you think? Easy enough to pick up to a foot, see if it's balanced and hovers? Or am I gonna be chasing it into the ground trying to keep up with the cyclic?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4headpodboom.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	297265   Click image for larger version

Name:	4headpodboom2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	297266   Click image for larger version

Name:	podboomwith250.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	297267  
__________________
Mike
buncha helis
GoFastMike is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #28
GoFastMike
Registered Users
 
Posts: 90
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Default

Couldn't stand it... spooled it up. Bad vibes first time, blades were way out. Did a quick round of balancing... much better. The swash isn't quite level, needed a bunch of elevator to keep it level. Haven't lifted off the ground yet but we're getting there....
__________________
Mike
buncha helis
GoFastMike is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #29
JoseReyes
Registered Users
 
Posts: 582
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA, WA, Steilacoom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFastMike View Post
Couldn't stand it... spooled it up. Bad vibes first time, blades were way out. Did a quick round of balancing... much better. The swash isn't quite level, needed a bunch of elevator to keep it level. Haven't lifted off the ground yet but we're getting there....

Are you spooling with the beastx or just without electronic stabilizers... Noticed you mentioned a gp780 so I'm assuming you haven't put the beastx yet... If that's the case you will be chasing it with that four blade head...

When I tested mine as a pod n boom with the beastx it was a pleasure to take off the first time...

You do need to make sure that your blades are balanced... I made sure that I took the heaviest blade and made it the master, then took all the other blades and added led tape to them to weight match the master, then I made them sets and balanced them that way... When I spooled it there was no vibes or vibrations from the blades...
JoseReyes is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #30
GoFastMike
Registered Users
 
Posts: 90
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Default

Quick update... have some more goodies on hand, ever closer to a fused maiden! Got the Scorpion 3226-900kv, should be a brute of motor; cc ice 100 with data logging, etc; and a very fine beastx. I've got one of these in a trex250 and it is sweet.

Headspeed range should be between 1300-1700 with 12-15 pinions at 100%. I'm kinda struggling with main blade choice. I'd really like a scale looking blade with the swept tips but haven't had any luck. Figure the standard 425 cf in black may just have to do for now. RCA has some new cf scale blades... wonder if anyone has flown them?

Props to GrandRC and HeliProz... these guys rock. Seems like stuff arrives before the app processes the mouse up event on BuyNow!
__________________
Mike
buncha helis
GoFastMike is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #31
FerretMaster
Registered Users
 
Posts: 152
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Casa Grande, AZ USA
Default An update from FerretMaster

I have the very first (or so Kin at SmartModel tells me) 500 size Stinger tail drive with the 10 degree front drop to make it a natural fit for the low TT drives used in the AH-64 and UH-60's coming.
I did a pre-order about a month ago and it is supposed to ship about mid March, like today maybe?
I promised Kin to do an evaluation on several forums. I would have done it anyway to help the community, but it cinched the deal to get the very first one!
The same drive system for the 600-700 size has been well accepted and evidently works very well. Hope the 500 works out as well.

Stay Tuned!!
__________________
Hello....My name is Dave.....and I'm a Heli addict.
Scale, A-109 (HK 450) Scale AH-1W (TT 325)
Scale, AH-64 (FHH 500) Scale, A-109 (FHH 500)
Scale, SH-60 (HK500)(building) Scale, Mi-24 (HK 600)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FerretMaster is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #32
crazhorse
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Loco HIlls, NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretMaster View Post
I have the very first (or so Kin at SmartModel tells me) 500 size Stinger tail drive with the 10 degree front drop to make it a natural fit for the low TT drives used in the AH-64 and UH-60's coming.
I did a pre-order about a month ago and it is supposed to ship about mid March, like today maybe?
I promised Kin to do an evaluation on several forums. I would have done it anyway to help the community, but it cinched the deal to get the very first one!
The same drive system for the 600-700 size has been well accepted and evidently works very well. Hope the 500 works out as well.

Stay Tuned!!
so any updates on the smartmodel tail ? I have started my blackhawk build wondering about raised tail options........
crazhorse is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #33
FerretMaster
Registered Users
 
Posts: 152
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Casa Grande, AZ USA
Default

I wish!!!

I realize that Kin has a lot on his R and D table so have been pretty much leaving him alone on the raised tail thing.

With that being said, I did contact him on the estimated delivery date back near the first of April and he said it would ship in the next week (like April 7-15 perhaps?). As far as I know, it still has not made it out of the factory yet. I can only guess at this point that there is an issue with the bevel gears. The rest of the stuff is just CNC setup and run.
As I am still waiting to unpack my helis after moving from Seattle area to Casa Grande AZ I am not in a big hurry.....but would still like to see and test the tail in a pod and boom ASAP

I will update on HF as well as the many other forums I am active on when I have the goodies in hand.

Are you listening Kin?!?!?
__________________
Hello....My name is Dave.....and I'm a Heli addict.
Scale, A-109 (HK 450) Scale AH-1W (TT 325)
Scale, AH-64 (FHH 500) Scale, A-109 (FHH 500)
Scale, SH-60 (HK500)(building) Scale, Mi-24 (HK 600)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FerretMaster is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #34
Benvk
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London
Default

In regards to scale blades, how about these?
http://www.sportsmoto.co.uk/acatalog...er-Blades.html
Benvk is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #35
JoseReyes
Registered Users
 
Posts: 582
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA, WA, Steilacoom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benvk View Post
In regards to scale blades, how about these?
http://www.sportsmoto.co.uk/acatalog...er-Blades.html
You can get the same blades from RC Aerodyne in the United States...

http://www.scaleflying.com/500-Size-...des_c_181.html

Those blades are the ones I'm using on my Jayhawk and BO-105
JoseReyes is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:25 AM   #36
crazhorse
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Loco HIlls, NM
Default

Mike

I'm curious how your build finished up, how is the Align raised tail working for you ? Thinking of using it possibly, from what I've read you cant use a 4 bladed tail with it or you just strip gears, since its nearly impossible to find a 4 bladed tail anyways I may just stick with 2 for the tail...........
I ordered a set of decals from callie and put them on my fuse today, came out pretty nice. I still have alot of things to order for my build though.
crazhorse is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #37
ozflyer
Registered Users
 
Posts: 779
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazhorse View Post
Mike

I'm curious how your build finished up, how is the Align raised tail working for you ? Thinking of using it possibly, from what I've read you cant use a 4 bladed tail with it or you just strip gears, since its nearly impossible to find a 4 bladed tail anyways I may just stick with 2 for the tail...........
I ordered a set of decals from callie and put them on my fuse today, came out pretty nice. I still have alot of things to order for my build though.
Hi crazhorse

The Align one is crap Heliartist make a better version have a look at this thread
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=387148&page=2

Steve
ozflyer is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:50 AM   #38
crazhorse
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Loco HIlls, NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozflyer View Post
Hi crazhorse

The Align one is crap Heliartist make a better version have a look at this thread
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=387148&page=2

Steve
Steve

I saw that thread, so the heli artist is the one to go with ?
crazhorse is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:03 AM   #39
ozflyer
Registered Users
 
Posts: 779
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Default

The heliartist is far better than the Align but the Smartmodel one looks even better but they are not out yet
Not even sure if it would fit.
I don't think it would fit my Cobra
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	193927PC017917.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	314200   Click image for larger version

Name:	193927PC017919.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	314201  
ozflyer is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #40
Schwartzwest
Registered Users
 
Posts: 26
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Vancouver
Default

Mmm

Schwartzwest
Schwartzwest is online now        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters


Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2011 - William James - Helifreak.com