Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Whiplash

MA Whiplash Miniature Aircraft Whiplash Helicopter Support Forum

Old 05-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Chris Sexton
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Whiplash size comparison to Synergy E7 and Furion 6

I was asked to take some shots of the whippy next to my E7 for size comparison. I thought I would just post encase others were curious.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
Chris Sexton
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Wow maybe i should have cleaned up a bit first.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
Tyler
Registered Users

priorities are important
Tyler is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
dpelletier
Registered Users

My HF Map location

@cdsexton...

There does not seem to be a very big difference in size.

Can you share you thoughts comparing those three, likes, dislikes, flight characteristics of one relative to the other.

I fly a Furion 6 and absolutely love it, but I am curious about the Whiplash as well as the Synergy.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
curmudgeon
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsexton View Post
Wow maybe i should have cleaned up a bit first.
Very nice fleet. I'm so jealous. 2 questions:

(1) I narrowed it down to the Synergy E7, Whiplash, and Rave Ballistic. You have the Synergy E7 and Whiplash. Why do you prefer the Synergy E7 over the Whiplash?

(2) What servos have worked best for you in your bigger birds?

Thanks.
Citizen 259
curmudgeon is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Chris Sexton
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I will be happy to post some thoughts when I get home.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Chris Sexton
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I get asked a lot to compare my birds. I have been blessed with the ability to fly just about anything I want, with in reason.

When I get the bug to build something new I look for a heli that is user friendly, parts are readily available for, and something that just screams fun.

I can still remember the first time I seen the Synergy E6/7 kit at IRCHA last year. I was walking by the Synergy booth and Matt Botos was going over the design with someone wearing a Scorpion shirt.

I stood and listened to him explaining the layout and the thought process behind the direct to swash, and the battery tray design.

I told myself then I wanted one. I can't tell you why, but I wanted one. I of course asked to buy one then and sad to hear they weren't available for sale yet. I did get to have a great conversation about the heli with Matt. Of course then I didn't know he was the designer.

I went home and called my LHS and ha him preorder me one.

Now obviously with this emotional connection to the heli, i was really praying the heli lived up to my expectations. Well it did.

I got one of the first round of kits. The build was simple. As my first 90 size bird I was amazed at the low parts count and straight forward build.

With the helical Delrin main gear this was also the quietest bird i have ever known. Flight is effortless. At a staggeringly low 10.2 pounds AUW with my Hyperion packs, it just floats. The hacker motor I paired to it (A50-12L) is a real stump puller.

I got to experience parts availability and prices when my first belt broken and it went in at about 30 feet. Other than the obvious blades and boom, the heli faired well. The canopy wasn't even too trashed to fly. I was amazed at how it faired. The blades were the most expensive part. The boom and supports were readily available from ExperienceRC.com. The belt break turned out to be my fault. I had over tightened the bolt holding the idler Pulley at the tail preventing it from turning. Naturally the belt could only take so much of that.

To this day, my favorite heli hands down.

The Whiplash:

This was my 4th 90 size electric build ( 2 E7s and an x7) and I had heard and read many great things about it. I wasn't looking for a replacement to the E7 just something different.

I thoroughly enjoyed the build, as anyone who had watched my build videos can tell you. Also a low parts count bird, although the e7 still seems fewer. Equally as clean of a build but very heavy. Almost 12.7 pounds AUW with the same Hyperion 4200s I run in my e7. Will be even heavier with my 5000s that came in yesterday.

I haven't logged as many flights yet, just maidened her last night so I am not ready to post my final thoughts on the flight characteristics, but I can see why it is a popular bird.

Frito is going to be saying I told you do, but I enjoyed the build way more than the x7. I will get back to you on the flight differences after I log more flights.

I was also asked about servo setups. I run JR 8917HV cyclics and a Savox SB-2272SG HV tail @ 8.4v on the e7. I have BLS451 cyclics and a BLS251 tail on both the Furion 6 and Whiplash. The JR are certainly faster but the 451/251 combo is excellent. Tried and proved setup to say the least.

I wouldn't even try to compare the Furion6 on the 90s. Different bird entirely. By a great 50 size bird. It's tied with my old fusion 50 for my favorite 600 bird.

You can see my video review on the Furion in the MA electrics forum.

Planning to spend the afternoon at the club tomorrow. I will post more on my thoughts of the flight differences once I get the chance to stretch the MA's legs a bit.

Thanks for following along.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
curmudgeon
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsexton View Post
The Whiplash:

This was my 4th 90 size electric build ( 2 E7s and an x7) and I had heard and read many great things about it. I wasn't looking for a replacement to the E7 just something different.

I thoroughly enjoyed the build, as anyone who had watched my build videos can tell you. Also a low parts count bird, although the e7 still seems fewer. Equally as clean of a build but very heavy. Almost 12.7 pounds AUW with the same Hyperion 4200s I run in my e7. Will be even heavier with my 5000s that came in yesterday.

I haven't logged as many flights yet, just maidened her last night so I am not ready to post my final thoughts on the flight characteristics, but I can see why it is a popular bird.

You can see my video review on the Furion in the MA electrics forum.

Planning to spend the afternoon at the club tomorrow. I will post more on my thoughts of the flight differences once I get the chance to stretch the MA's legs a bit.

Thanks for following along.
I will look for your video reviews in the MA forum.

I pulled the trigger on the Whiplash today. Added a KDE-495 motor, MKS HLB980/HLB950 HV servos, SK-720, and RAIL blades. I also order the parts for a graphite T/R push rod modification (MA Stratus parts).

I am still very interested in learning your views on the Whiplash, as well as how it compares to other 700 size helis.
Citizen 259
curmudgeon is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
frito169
Registered Users

Default glad to hear

Glad to hear you like the whiplash so far. have a quick question for you, are those futaba servos the HV ones. I've heard the HV fruit cobbler's(futabas on tap to talk)are much more efficient than the JRs. I love my JRs and have no issues with them but was just a little curious.
frito169 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #10
Chris Sexton
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No, they are not the HV ones. I run them at 6v. Although there are many that do run them on a 2s lipo.

I have heard that the BLS255HV are more power efficient than the JRs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2012, 01:43 AM   #11
drdispatch
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito169 View Post
HV fruit cobbler's...
haha
Blade 130X
drdispatch is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
Chris Sexton
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I put a couple packs through my whiplash today. Not login the sprag gear. Motor isn't disengaging until well after the heli is on the ground. It's really eating up my auto power. Is everyone having this problem or is this something that had to break in? Could I have it installed wrong?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
Chris Sexton
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This seems relavent to the conversation.

I do like the E7 battery tray better. I am considering flipping the bottom plate and mounting the batteries there like some have done. I will give it a few more flights before I make any changes.

Jury is still out on the Whiplash. I do like the big presence in the air. It is ROCK solid, although I do need to turn my tail gain down and the cyclic gain up. Feels very light in the air, but I still think the E7 is quicker with the same 12o of pitch on both.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
frito169
Registered Users

Default e7

That makes sense seeing as your E7 is 2 pounds lighter. Do they have the torque tube available yet for the E7 I hate belt drives.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
Chris Sexton
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yep, this pictures above are of the re-maiden with the TT.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #16
frito169
Registered Users

Default tt

Do they have the E7 available in a torque tube version or do you have to buy the kit and the conversion and if so who carries the torque tube conversion kit?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #17
Chris Sexton
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The TT kit should be available in June. The upgrade just came out last week.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #18
shein95
Registered Users

i've seen a whiplash fly in person only once at debbies rc world in chesapeake, va by a pilot well beyond my abilities and it was a very unique presence in flight. I don't thing i've ever heard or felt blade pops/farts that loud before. it looked very smooth and was doing everything he wanted it too so is the extra few pounds on this bird really going to be something to turn someone away from it? i at that field this weekend hoping to get a better look at it since i'm seriously considering this one. he even did about 5 autos on it and didn't seem to be a problem on that one but i've heard many mention here about binding with the sprag
shein95 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #19
Frankcm1
Registered Users

I want to build a 90 sized Electric and strongly considering the Synergy E7 or Whiplash. This would be my first electric build so I need some advice. Here's a list of what I think I'll need. Let me know if there is something else I need to add like a BEC or seperate RX battery.

Synergy E6/7 FBL/Belt Drive
Scorpion HKIII-4035-330 Motor
Castle Creations Phoenix ICE2 HV 120 BL ESC
Microbeast by BEASTX BTXM76000
Radix Blades - YB710FBL
Radix 95 mm Tail Blades - YB95
PULSE 6S 22.2V 3000mAh 35C - XTREME POWER SERIES
DS8717 Ultra-Speed Cyclic Servo COMBO
DS8900G Ultra-Speed Digital Gyro Servo 4.8V

Let me know your thoughts on this setup

- Frank

Trex 700N,600N,700e DFC, Fusion, Goblin500, Blade450x, Helix G700(in progress)
Frankcm1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #20
Chris Sexton
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think your motor KV is a bit low. I fly my E7 with a hacker 470 and 14t pinion, and my Whiplash with a 500kv and the included 14t pinion.

I have the headspeeds on both governed to 2200. 2000 is plenty, but i love to see them scream across the sky

3000mah packs are a bit lite, if you ask me. I have run as low as 3700s and barely get 5 minutes of sport flying. On the Whiplash I have 5000s and the CoG is perfect.

Your servos, ESC, and FBL unit look good.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Whiplash

MA Whiplash Miniature Aircraft Whiplash Helicopter Support Forum