Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Old 05-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
JasumX
Registered Users

Default Pretty sure I just fried my iCharger

I'm almost certain I know the answer to this already, but I need confirmation before my brain will actually accept it.

The charger is an iCharger 206B and the battery is a 6s 3000mah 30C.

I finished charging a battery using my parallel charging board, and was about to switch to a different charging cable to charge some other batteries. What I did was unplug the para board before unplugging the battery (bonehead move). One of the plugs from the board (with the battery connected) touched a pin on one of the balance connectors (not the 6s connector) of the charger

Now when I plug a battery into the 6s balance connector or the para board while attached to the charger I get a balance error, and no voltage shows up for the 2nd cell of the battery. I tried with multiple batteries and get the same result.

Is this at all fixable? The charger is only a week old, and this would be a very expensive lesson if not
JasumX is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Slyster
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That does not sound good. Sorry to hear that... there is a TON of current in those big lipos when they short.... Where did you buy the charger?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
JasumX
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

progressiverc

I really don't expect them to replace it thought. Not for my mistake :-/
Old 05-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Slyster
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You never know. Maybe Dave can repair it too?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
JasumX
Registered Users

Worth a shot i suppose. I've never talked to Dave, but i hear good things.

Thanks for the idea i'll give him a call tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Slyster
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Let us know how it all turns out.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
Gregor99
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasumX View Post
One of the plugs from the board (with the battery connected) touched a pin on one of the balance connectors (not the 6s connector) of the charger
If I'm reading this correctly the 4mm bullet sparked against a balance connector on the paraboard and not the charger. If that is the case, you most likely burned a trace on underside of the paraboard. Some have been able to repair them, or you could replace just the board without replacing the charger.
Dual Powerlab Beta Team - Revolectrix Forum Support (volunteer)
Gregor99 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:34 AM   #8
JasumX
Registered Users

Unfortunately it is worse than that... The 4mm plug sparked against one of the balance connectors on the charger itself.

I would bet that it was most likely the cell 2 connector since it is very close to the main power plugs, and the symptoms seem to suggest that as well.

I tried plugging the battery balance connector straight into the charger too, and was getting the same error. Hopefully Dave will have some good news for me later this morning. If not, I'll chalk it up to a very expensive lesson I guess.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
JasumX
Registered Users

I just talked to David and he believes it is most likely a burned trace on the 2s balance connector. If he's right (I really hope he is) a dab of solder should do the trick. I'll check it out tonight and report the results.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
JasumX
Registered Users

Sigh... I took the charger apart and was unable to see any traces that looked bad. I used a volt meter and found that pin 3 (3rd pin toward the center of the balance port from the negative (right) side) on the balance ports for 6s 4s and 3s appear to have no connection to the negative power lead. I am by no means an electrician, but I'm guessing the damage is internal on the riser board where the balance plugs sit.

I'm going to have a friend at work take a look at it to see what he can see, but not a lot of hope left at this point.

On the bright side (there almost always is one) the charger will still charge and discharge batteries! It just won't balance them... At least I have 1 more charger that I can use in between balance charges.

I'm ordering a 306b and will be immediately covering the extra balance ports with electrical tape (or something) to keep by foolish fingers away from them.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Slyster
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You will love the 306b.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
TJinGuy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
What I did was unplug the para board before unplugging the battery (bonehead move). One of the plugs from the board (with the battery connected) touched a pin on one of the balance connectors (not the 6s connector) of the charger
I have done exactly this and it was an easy fix for me. The pin it touched got hot and pushed through the connector, unsoldering it some. I opened up the case, pushed the pin back through and resoldered it. All better. You might be able to fix it. Otherwise I would talk to Dave and see if he can help you.

Hopefully it was a lesson learned in any case

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
heli...info...news...such
Helis: TRex 450 Pro - Protos - TRex 550e
Stuff: Spektrum DX7 - iCharger 208B - Hyperion G3
TJinGuy is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support