Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Heli 66
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question Newbie to Helis,Please Help

Hi, I'm new to Rc Helicopters,I'm talking Virgin New, lol . Anyway i bought a Titan Raptor 50 with a md530 fuselage from a private seller,it's a very nice heli, it did not come with a radio so i went and bought a Spec dx6i, i already did the binding on it. What else do i need to do to the radio? I don't plan on trying to get it in the air until i have been on the Sim for a while, I learned my lesson with a Plane i had a few years back, plus i am a little bit older now and have more patience, so do i leave the radio the way it came or do i have to program it? i would atleast like to fire the thing up. Any help would be appreciated.
Heli 66 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
dfgipe
Registered Users

Heli 66, If I were you I would put that Raptor on the shelf as a display piece for now.Scale helis have a much different personality than pod and boom. What I'm saying is the Raptor isn't the best choice to learn on even with a sim. Something like a mCP X or mSR X would be a better choice. And yes, the DX6i does need to be set up for the heli. For example, the swash level, pitch set , throttle curve,etc. Go to the Blade micro forum and ask the guys what they like. Good Luck.

EXI 450 Beater / 450 EC-135 / 450 OH-58 Kiowa / 450 MD 500 / EXI 450 AH-6 Little Bird / EXI 500 (the flying woodchipper!) / HK500GT UH-1E Huey / EXI 500 EC-135/ Love the scale!
dfgipe is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Heli 66
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yea, it's like i said, i did'nt plan on even trying to learn on it, i just could'nt pass up the deal, i thought about getting a smaller one to learn on, Not something indoors though ( small rooms) any suggestions other than micro
Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
NCcraig
Registered Users

Your going to need a 7 channel or better radio for a nitro heli, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Heli 66
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Why 7 channel? Wont my 6 channel be ok? Thats what the guy had that i bought it from.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
deca
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli 66 View Post
Yea, it's like i said, i didn't plan on even trying to learn on it, i just couldn't pass up the deal, i thought about getting a smaller one to learn on, Not something indoors though ( small rooms) any suggestions other than micro
Honestly the mcpx is what you want. It'll fly outside just fine even in moderate winds. The important thing about it is that as long as you hit throttle hold before it hits the ground it's EXTREMELY durable and crash resistant, and no other CP heli can claim that. It combined with the sim will get you going in no time.
deca is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Maloxan
Registered Users

The 7th channel is for the engine kill.
Spektrum DX6i - AR7000
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maloxan is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Kneedragger75
Registered Users

You will only need a seventh channel if you are using a governor on the raptor.
A simulator is going to be a must if you plan on being successful in this hobby.
Phoenix or Realflight are the two most popular. Flying a collective pitch helicopter
is not easy! It takes much practice. Repeatedly crashing a model gets old, and expensive.
The MCPX is a great trainer. Very durable and lots of parts available at local hobby
store.
As suggested, shelve the Raptor for now, you will love flying it soon enough!
Kneedragger75 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
Ozz58
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maloxan View Post
The 7th channel is for the engine kill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger75 View Post
You will only need a seventh channel if you are using a governor on the raptor.
A simulator is going to be a must if you plan on being successful in this hobby.
Phoenix or Realflight are the two most popular. Flying a collective pitch helicopter
is not easy! It takes much practice. Repeatedly crashing a model gets old, and expensive.
The MCPX is a great trainer. Very durable and lots of parts available at local hobby
store.
As suggested, shelve the Raptor for now, you will love flying it soon enough!
The 7th channel IS for the govenor, but if he had a govenor on it already he might have gotten one where you can set the head speed on the govenor itself. Some govenors don't need a channel to run.

Plus you don't really have to have a govenor to fly a nitro, a good throttle curve will work for sport flying. I do like running a govenor as it keeps the head speed consistant without me having to worry.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T-Rex 600N | T-Rex 500 ESP | T-Rex 500 GF | T-Rex 250 (Love this little bird) | 22 year old Shuttle ZXX
Ozz58 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
ddj74
Registered Users

1st thing you need to do is not dare try and fly it. Find a local flying field and get some one experienced to help you set it up and give you some tips. In my opinion a gasser isn't a good first heli choice because there's much more to learn compared to an electric. My first real heli was a 500 so some people can learn straight off to a bigger heli and some just can't.
AMA #1039539
ddj74 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
Kneedragger75
Registered Users

[QUOTE=Ozz58;3924574]The 7th channel IS for the govenor, but if he had a govenor on it already he might have gotten one where you can set the head speed on the govenor itself. Some govenors don't need a channel to run.

Plus you don't really have to have a govenor to fly a nitro, a good throttle curve will work for sport flying. I do like running a govenor as it keeps the head speed consistant without me having to worry.

Craig[/QUOTE
I personally do not use a governor. With the more powerful engines and higher headspeed
they can be a plus. They are most certainly not required for sport or mild flying. 6 channels
is all you will need for this application.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
crowe73
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli 66 View Post
Why 7 channel? Wont my 6 channel be ok? Thats what the guy had that i bought it from.
A 6 channel heli radio can be used with a nitro heli. I use a DX6i (a 6 channel radio) on both of my nitro helis and it works just fine.
crowe73 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
seanh
Registered Users

Pull the scale fuse off and fly it like you stole it. There is no reason that you can't go fly this as a newbi. The TT Raptor 50 is one of the most durable, versatile helis made. Parts are all over the place and it can take a beating...perfect for a newbi.

Now, I will say you'll have to have some good discipline. Too many newbies go crash the smaller birds without a thought. They're cheap. This one will cost you some bucks to crash. Don't let that alarm you, just take it slow.

So, you need at least a 7ch tx. Look for a used DX7 (100-150 bucks). There are several other tx's available but that one is great tx for the money. It may be discontinued but that doesn't matter at that price.
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
ddj74
Registered Users

Seanh...thats very bad advise your giving. He doesnn't even know how to setup the remote and your telling him to just go fly it? One mistake and he can have a decent size heli to the face. If he doesn't know how to setup a remote then he needs not fly it yet. Were not talking about 4 channel heli with plastic wings. As i stated find experienced flier and get some tips hands on and tutoring with setup, safety and basic flying how to's.
AMA #1039539
ddj74 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
seanh
Registered Users

wow, someone is just looking for an argument? Of course you don't just willie nillie go fly. The OP is asking questions. This indicates he isn't going to just plug-in some settings, start it and let it fly.

small heli or large heli must be treated equally. Thinking it's ok to treat one with less care is giving poor advice.

If you do the research you'll find the raptor 50 well recommended for a newbie.
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
Old 05-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
Ozz58
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanh View Post
Pull the scale fuse off and fly it like you stole it. There is no reason that you can't go fly this as a newbi. The TT Raptor 50 is one of the most durable, versatile helis made. Parts are all over the place and it can take a beating...perfect for a newbi.

Now, I will say you'll have to have some good discipline. Too many newbies go crash the smaller birds without a thought. They're cheap. This one will cost you some bucks to crash. Don't let that alarm you, just take it slow.

So, you need at least a 7ch tx. Look for a used DX7 (100-150 bucks). There are several other tx's available but that one is great tx for the money. It may be discontinued but that doesn't matter at that price.
Not to get in the battle, but you DON"T need a 7 channel radio to fly a nitro, hell I still fly my Shuttle with just curves. And you can get a govenor that doesn't need a channel to work, just set headspeed on the gov itself.

Now, I'm not talking just go out and fly the b*tch, you will need to take it slow. I learned way before Helifreak or sims, so it can be done and it was nitro too.

Not trying to start a fight as it's just a hobby and should be a fun experence, my advice is take it slow and ENJOY!!

Craig

T-Rex 600N | T-Rex 500 ESP | T-Rex 500 GF | T-Rex 250 (Love this little bird) | 22 year old Shuttle ZXX
Ozz58 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #17
Kneedragger75
Registered Users

+1 on the Raptor being a great, stable, easy to set up heli. They have been around forever.
Parts are available. With the help of an experienced pilot they can be hovered far easier than,say, a 450. Shelve the scale fuselage first.

OP says he has been simming. Fly the Rappy on the sim until you can hover like a pro.
As stated before, a seventh channel is not required, for now anyway. Get help with radio
setup. Ask plenty of questions, here, and at the field.

I personally do not recommend training gear. I feel it hurts more than helps. If you can hover and land confidently on the sim, you can do the real thing.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #18
seanh
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz58 View Post
Not to get in the battle, but you DON"T need a 7 channel radio to fly a nitro, hell I still fly my Shuttle with just curves. And you can get a govenor that doesn't need a channel to work, just set headspeed on the gov itself.

Now, I'm not talking just go out and fly the b*tch, you will need to take it slow. I learned way before Helifreak or sims, so it can be done and it was nitro too.

Not trying to start a fight as it's just a hobby and should be a fun experence, my advice is take it slow and ENJOY!!

Craig

Think we're all on the same page, just say it in different languages.

as to 7ch, correct, it's not required but necessary for any growth. I too use only 6ch for my nitros as setting up a gov can be a PIA. Just need to spend time on keeping the engine from overspeeding.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #19
num6
Registered Users

Hi guys im new to heli and i need some help. i bought raptor 30 v2 and assembled it together and i need to set up the electronics. I dont have a clue how to set up the gyro or the servos or the radio. Is there any videos or someone to help? Thanks in advance.
num6 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.